Where's Rodney?

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Spatz had three series. Three.That's thirty three episodes of an early 90's sitcom for kids starring Jennifer Calvert and Vas Blackwood. The fucking state of it.

And Joe Greco of The Pink Windmill Kids viral video fame.

they had this weird obsession with making American style kids sitcoms with American actors at that time. I remember Mike and Angelo and I think it was Criss Cross which was set in a boarding school of some kind I think

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, simonworden said:

Man, i'd forgotten about Amanda Holden in Kiss Me Kate, she used to enter my thoughts often as a young lad. I think I was obsessed with her for a short time. If I was 12 again now I doubt i'd even flinch at that as i'd probably only get off on hardcore latex double anal or whatever young lads search for these days.

For me, it was a certain scene of hers in The Grimleys. Then all I wanted at that time of my life was a teacher like Miss Titley. 

• Moderators

Ruby Snape from The Grimleys drinks in one of my locals #shitfact.

Also, how fucking great was The Grimleys? Shame it never gets a repeat. I think ITV 3 repeated it in '05, and I've not seen it on TV since.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

This is great.

After one recording, its biggest star, Robert Lindsay - who'd been a hero of mine, when he'd played the lead in Citizen Smith back in the 70s - came within inches of my face, expensive shirt unbuttoned halfway to his groin, and sneered: "So you're one of the new ones are you? Told you what a bastard I am have they?".

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And Joe Greco of The Pink Windmill Kids viral video fame.

they had this weird obsession with making American style kids sitcoms with American actors at that time. I remember Mike and Angelo and I think it was Criss Cross which was set in a boarding school of some kind I think

Mike & Angelo was alright at the time. It started to decline when halfway through they got a new Angelo, and then a new Mike (following a spell with a Michaela). Tyler Butterworth must have figured there's more money and better career longevity in advert voiceovers.

Anybody remember Kappatoo? 

Edited by jazzygeofferz
Got my Angelos in the wrong order.

• Paid Members

Interesting little tying-together, as both My Family and The Upper Hand have been discussed: Robert Lindsay was married to Diana Weston (who, along with Kellie Bright, was my 14 year-old self's only reason for ever watching it). 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Interesting little tying-together, as both My Family and The Upper Hand have been discussed: Robert Lindsay was married to Diana Weston (who, along with Kellie Bright, was my 14 year-old self's only reason for ever watching it). 

I had no idea they were married. No wonder he became such a grumpy old bastard

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 8/29/2019 at 12:43 PM, wordsfromlee said:

seems like they were giving every non-actor their own sitcom around that time Davina McCall got one. Remember Johnny Vaughan’s?

On 8/29/2019 at 12:59 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

Remember it? I sat through the fucking thing a few weeks back (the write-up hits Patreon next month, mod-power-abuse fans).

It's clambered over the 30-day paywall now.

• 11 months later...
  • Paid Members

Ah, I love Ray Burdis. He looks like Billy Bragg there. And Perry Benson as well! Forgotten classic if you ask me.

I have to say, the sets in that show might be the most depressing I've ever seen. I'm sure that's what they were going for, but the tone isn't 15 Storeys High and I reckon a multicamera studio sitcom probably shouldn't have sets covered in mildew and piss stained lifts. Doesn't exactly make you want to chuckle along. 

Great stuff @Astro Hollywood I laughed out loud at the "big gay cock" line which is an indictment of me and you. 

Edited by gmoney

Funnily enough I was reading the Slinger's Day write up last night, as that was one I've never heard of before, like this Dream Stuffing.

I don't know why I've completely missed your blog until fairly recently (it was the Byker Grove link that was posted the other week that got me checking it out) but I've been thoroughly enjoying diving into the various articles.  Heck, I even ended up watching Copy Cats on YouTube after reading that one.  Davro's complete inability to do impressions was something that had bypassed me as a youngster, a personal highlight was his "Mike Baldwin" from Coronation Street where he doesn't even try to impersonate him, just speaks in his usual voice!  Whatever Gary Wilmot must think looking back on that show I'll never know. 

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I have to say, the sets in that show might be the most depressing I've ever seen. I'm sure that's what they were going for, but the tone isn't 15 Storeys High and I reckon a multicamera studio sitcom probably shouldn't have sets covered in mildew and piss stained lifts.

It is massively depressing, but - and this might just be my blighted imagination - I feel like any Thatcher-era sitcom that wasn't about the middle classes looked like that. Wasn't Del Boy's flat similarly grim? I think OFCOM came for your head if you didn't demonstrate someone was poor via the iconography of a graffifi stained piss-lift. Even the kids drama/comedy shows were at it.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

It is massively depressing, but - and this might just be my blighted imagination - I feel like any Thatcher-era sitcom that wasn't about the middle classes looked like that. Wasn't Del Boy's flat similarly grim? I think OFCOM came for your head if you didn't demonstrate someone was poor via the iconography of a graffifi stained piss-lift. Even the kids drama/comedy shows were at it.

I was thinking about the Only Fools... flat as I typed that, and I think the difference was that it while it was a bit grim, it was also colourful and clean. I don't remember the Trotters living in grey filth.