Where's Rodney?

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

What a pleasant surprise seeing her turn up in Killing Eve. I used to watch Hotel Babylon just because of her. 

Snap. Although I did also tune in to Babylon for Tamzin Outhwaite too.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The only thing I remember about Birds of A Feather is that Sharons husband had a “funny” Greek name. Papadopolous maybe? Banging tune though. 

The only thing I remember about My Family is one episode where the parents get “stoned”. 

Theodopolopodus?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

How have we gone this long without mentioning Brighton Belles. The ITV attempt at The Golden Girls. I remember that it existed and that’s it

Because it's well remembered for an being awful ITV remake ala Days Like These. 

Now Just a Gigolo... 

Used to enjoy Brush Strokes as a kid, went a bit shite towards then end though. 

Does anyone remember Jim Davidsons sitcom? Up the Elephant and around the Castle, think this carried on to then make Home James.  Up the elephant was about Jim Davidson basically playing himself, he somehow ended up living in a rich part of london and didnt fit in. It was shite i thought at the time.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Because it's well remembered for an being awful ITV remake ala Days Like These. 

Now Just a Gigolo... 

I remember looking forward to that as I loved Whose Line and Tony Slattery particularly. I felt really sorry reading that interview with him recently. I remember the theme tune, but that was about it.

on that note, do you remember the ITV version of Men Behaving Badly. Amazing what a change of channel and dropping the lead actor can do.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

on that note, do you remember the ITV version of Men Behaving Badly. Amazing what a change of channel and dropping the lead actor can do.

The first Neil Morrissey series was on ITV.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Porkchopcash said:

Does anyone remember Jim Davidsons sitcom? Up the Elephant and around the Castle, think this carried on to then make Home James.  Up the elephant was about Jim Davidson basically playing himself, he somehow ended up living in a rich part of london and didnt fit in. It was shite i thought at the time.

B294yi7CQAAeD01?format=jpg

Fuck. Yes, I wrote about that too. It's as dogshit as you think it would be, with all of Gentleman Jim's values about women, gays, and other races evident in the material, while the audience shrieks with laughter, because it was all fine back then. Worst of all, he's meant to be a loveably cheeky chappy, breaking the fourth wall for chats because he's our mate, when it's obvious he's the biggest cunt in the entire world.

• Paid Members

I think when Kris Marshall left My Family to do Death In Paradise they ended up drafting in three new characters to fill his role. Danielle Denby-A she's character disappeared to have a baby, but because one of the fleet of writers probably had a load of smart-mouth kid dialogue they wanted to shoe-horn in they either jumped the show forward 10 years with nobody else aging or she gave birth to a 10 year old. That's sit-com logic though, I guess. Wasn't it toyed as the first British sit-com to be made using the American writers' room style, so they were hoping it'd be some fast paced slick joke-fest like Friends, but it ended up feeling more like Joey? 

My Hero had its moments, then James Dreyfuss turned up and they totally changed up the George/Thermoman character as if it'd freshen up the show rather than just putting the merciful bullet in. Still, kept Hugh Dennis busy until Outnumbered. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The only thing I remember about Birds of A Feather is that Sharons husband had a “funny” Greek name. Papadopolous maybe? Banging tune though. 

I remember absolutely nothing about Birds of a Feather, but do remember a conversation between Steve Coogan and Armando Ianucci - possibly on a Partridge DVD commentary? - about what the funniest numbers and funniest place names are. Coogan insists that Lynn saying "I'm fifty" is hilarious, and that received comedy wisdom would have had her say "47" because it's a funnier number. They have a similar conversation later about why "Leeds" is a funnier place name than a go-to "comedy" name like Pontefract. But every single time Coogan has to bring up a comedy that would get it wrong and go with the lazy option, it's always Birds Of A Feather.