Where's Rodney?

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

I think the ending to that show was him cheating on his wife with the barmaid who left scratches all over his back and that was meant to be the punchline that some of the story had been building to. Instead it just came off as the character of Shane being a twat. It was a terrible show overall though. 

A 2nd was filmed and ready for broadcast. But they don’t have to pay the production company if they don’t show it, hence it’s never been screened, or believe it’s been publicly available 

• Awards Moderator
57 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Shane was on a double bill with a sitcom about a hardware store with some old bloke from Corrie, Peter Serafinowicz and Martin Freeman. Dark days.

Called Hardware naturally enough. What a stinker! Super dated concept and not a laugh to be heard.

I just IMDB'd it. IT WON AWARDS. 

Screenshot_20190829-082909_IMDb.thumb.jpg.143c97a8346e2e831fe8042111ea845e.jpg

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Blue Heaven was pretty good, Varys from Game of Thrones played Frank's best mate in it.

frankroacheblueheaven.png

Conlith Hill (Varys) is the Godfather to Frank Skinner's son, celebrity fact fans. 

Bleak fact fans - There are 82 episodes of Soldier, Soldier. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

It's always puzzled me how somebody as funny as Frank Skinner ended up in a comedy duo with somebody as unfunny as David Baddiel. 

Rob Newman as well.

Returning to Britas empire I found it did hold up but then I have fond memories of it as a child. It was also filmed in Ringwood Leisure Centre down the road from where I grew up and we saw them filming it on a few occasions so I might be a bit biased. Watched it all a few years ago and did enjoy it.

I remember a couple of old shows that I remember. So Haunt Me which was about an old lady ghost who used to be the occupant of a families' house, that went 3 seasons apparently. A perfect state about a town that wasn't recorded in the doomsday book called Flatby so they become their own country, even as a kid I remember that being shit. Then their was a comedy about two kids who have to live with their grandparents after they die. I think the premise was the grandparents were out of contact with their son or something. They were very stuffy and hadn't met the kids for a long time. Was pretty dull I recall. 

• Paid Members

Baddiel isn't terrible though you'd be fooled by that sitcom. His stand up in the 90s was pretty good and he held his own in the Mary Whitehouse Experience/Newman and Baddiel. 

Frank Skinner does have a habit of choosing partners that aren't at his level though. On his radio show his regular comedian co-hosts have been Gareth Richards who is beyond shit and Alun Cochrane who is about as bland as you can get. I think Skinner needs to feel like he is the funniest person in a room, and he usually is.  

• Paid Members

Baddiel had that one good stand-up concept where he went through old archives and newspapers. Him and Steve Coogan were doing 'Powerpoint stand-up' before Dave Gorman and the rest of his imitators came along. Trail blazers, they were.

Saying that, mostly everything else he has touched has ether not aged well or was real shit in the first place. There's an old VHS somewhere of me and my feckless mates singing along to 'Phoenix From The Flames' and I hope it doesn't come to the surface at any point during my time alive on this Earth.

On the My Family front, I remember the first two series were acceptable for my thirteen year old brain. But I never once watched it back until a few years ago during a YouTube rabbit hole sesh, where at best it was hit & miss, but at worse its really awkward, lazy and slightly problematic.

Case in point; there's a real easy but potentially-enjoyable joke where the naive dad gets a computer and decides to get to grips with it. He gets confident, and googles the word 'oral' (as he is a dentist), which prompts him to make all sorts of silly faces in a reaction to what's on the screen. Light-hearted fun...if it wasn't for the fact that the scene takes place with his youngest son sat next to him the entire time making the same faces and reactions.

They also replaced the silly, thick son with some other silly, thick relative (Niece? Cousin? Step-daughter?) and any dynamic or chemistry was immediately extinguished as a result. 11 series of that? Christ.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Accident Prone said:

Baddiel had that one good stand-up concept where he went through old archives and newspapers. 

Yeah, the Bills of Mortality routine is obviously great, but it's also about as easy to get laughs as you can get in stand-up. He almost had to do no work on that, it just speaks for itself.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, simonworden said:

I remember a couple of old shows that I remember. So Haunt Me which was about an old lady ghost who used to be the occupant of a families' house, that went 3 seasons apparently.

A Jewish old lady ghost, which was the entire joke. I've not seen an episode of that since it first went out, but far too much of it is taking up valuable brain space, still. I'll regularly go to bed at nights realising I've forgotten to drink any fluids all day, but can recall her name was Yetta Feldman, and they could tell when she was around, because the room would smell of ghostly chicken soup.

According to Wikipedia, it's got the same creator as May to December. 39 episodes about a widowed soliciter played by Anton Rogers dating a younger woman, and the young Astro lapped it up every week. I should've been bullied a bit harder tbqhwy. Feel like I need to start revisiting this middle of the road shit I sat through back then in monstrous essays. Sun's out, better stay indoors and write 5,000 words about After Henry.

Edited by Astro Hollywood