The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

On 9/28/2019 at 3:41 PM, IANdrewDiceClay said:

That Cody post is the one on the billboards they've got everywhere. Surely Jericho should be on them,no? Being the biggest star and their champion?

It's almost like there might be *someone* in the office who thinks Cody should be the bigger star.

Almost.

Not sure if this was covered here but Will Cooling of PWTorch and FSM has note some inconsistencies with the ITV/AEW debacle [i.e. Cooling flatly calls Khan a liar] when he notes the following:

ITV is regulated by the same rules that govern Sky and BT as they are 'not counted as a public service channel'. 

To get round the 12 minute 'rule' for advertisements all Sky have to do is air 'In House' adverts for Sky programming rather than paid for adverts from other companies. Hence why during some WWE advert breaks it is Sky programming ads only.

Live programming doesn't have to follow the rules as opposed to recorded programming. International broadcasts can follow the same advert breaks as the 'host' broadcaster (in this case TNT). 

Makes you wonder whether Khan and Co screwed up royally here and now want to work out a subscription or pay type deal now ITV aren't willing to air live. In which case are they bullshitting the fans or is this a genuine advertisement issue? Hmm either way it doesn't look good in a new market which is renowned for being a huge deal for WWE and to a lesser degree NJPW/ROH/TNA.

• Paid Members

Those DC Comic things are great. They've been very generous to Jericho though. That's how I reckon he thinks he looks!

They've released the show opening. I love the colours and graphics but I hate the generic rawk~! music.

There's also a fun little article here: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2854866-pro-wrestlings-greatest-blood-feud-reignited-in-startup-all-elite-wrestling

This was my favourite part. Speaking about how so many small things had to happen for this to have ever come about, Cody mentions that it may never have been possible if Kevin Owens hadn't introduced him to the Young Bucks:

"I'm a big organizer and planner," he said. "So I had been in [WWE wrestler] Kevin Owens' ear, like, 'Hey, what does the world look like? I've saved a chunk of my money and I bought a home and stuff, but I want to make sure I can keep it. What does it look like out there?'

"And Kevin was the one who said, 'I'll introduce you to The Young Bucks. They're the masters of having marketed themselves outside of the company.' Me and Brandi were totally fearless in that moment. It was crazy."

No wonder they've made Kevin look like such a tragic prick in this Shane McMahon feud! This whole thing is his fault!

ezgif.com-add-text.gif.7be7378adad5ae5cfcc449b7bf5ae33e.gif

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

Not sure if this was covered here but Will Cooling of PWTorch and FSM has note some inconsistencies with the ITV/AEW debacle [i.e. Cooling flatly calls Khan a liar] when he notes the following:

ITV is regulated by the same rules that govern Sky and BT as they are 'not counted as a public service channel'. 

To get round the 12 minute 'rule' for advertisements all Sky have to do is air 'In House' adverts for Sky programming rather than paid for adverts from other companies. Hence why during some WWE advert breaks it is Sky programming ads only.

Live programming doesn't have to follow the rules as opposed to recorded programming. International broadcasts can follow the same advert breaks as the 'host' broadcaster (in this case TNT). 

Makes you wonder whether Khan and Co screwed up royally here and now want to work out a subscription or pay type deal now ITV aren't willing to air live. In which case are they bullshitting the fans or is this a genuine advertisement issue? Hmm either way it doesn't look good in a new market which is renowned for being a huge deal for WWE and to a lesser degree NJPW/ROH/TNA.

ITV didn’t want the hassle of doing that. The purpose of being on ITV is to get normals to watch, and they won’t be watching at that time anyway.

1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

That's why ITV doesn't deserve wrestling on TV any longer. They fucked up w WOS and don't seem to see the potential market in the UK. Stick it on live TV or the next morning ffs it's not that difficult surely. 

The U.K. market outside of WWE is nowhere near as big as people seem to think it is, and even WWE tend to struggle these days. Progress, supposedly the hot U.K. indie, drew around 5,000 to Wembley Arena with tickets on sale over a year in advance.

The put WOS on one of the main TV channels that the entire country has access to, and the viewing figures went down on a weekly basis. They then tried to run a UK tour, which saw half the dates cancelled due to piss-poor ticket sales.

Even WWE’s own U.K. brand run tapings in venues with most of the lights off to hide the empty seats.

“Stick it on live...”- oh yeah, loads of people are going to stay up and watch it live. I’m considering signing up to the $5 AEW Plus thing, but have no intention of staying up till daft o’clock to watch it, i’ll be watching the following day when it suits me

”or the next morning ffs it’s not that hard”- Thursday morning, when most people are at work? Or do you mean getting up around 6am to watch it? Yeah, that'll be a real ratings winner. When would you put it on? Before The Saint or after Kojak?

Face it, Wrestling isn’t popular and it’s never going to be

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

That's why ITV doesn't deserve wrestling on TV any longer. They fucked up w WOS and don't seem to see the potential market in the UK. Stick it on live TV or the next morning ffs it's not that difficult surely. 

Neither live nor the next morning would be anything close to the optimum time slot. Both would only cater to freaks like me who want to watch it as soon as possible and catering to hardcores is the way of a moron.

Thursday or Friday night would be perfect for getting the highest numbers and hopefully growing the audience, which it sounds like they're still working towards.

I get that the announced first showing is disappointing, especially for hardcore fans, but get some fucking perspective. That they're on ITV at all is nothing short of a miracle.