All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

But Tony Sewell is black so who are we to tell him he’s wrong. So what if I choose to believe him over the hundreds and hundreds of black people including fellow academics who wholly disagree. And don’t start with his previous comments on how schools are feminised these days or how the gays are the biggest homophobes because that doesn’t matter. I’m believing this black man over all the others and it isn’t because he is saying what I want to be true, it just happens to be true now because a black man said it and if you disagree with him then that makes you the racist when you think about it. 

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Mainly in response to this from Tony Sewell, chair of the Race and Ethic Disparities

• He said in many respects ethnic minorities were doing better than the white majority. He said:

In this report, in all the areas, crime and policing is an issue, but in education, in health, and particularly in the employment space, ethnic minorities are doing better than the white majority in many cases. We have to look at that, and we have to come out now - and the research community needs to do this - and use ethnic minorities as a model of success.

That last bit just sounds so fucking patronising.

I know I'm somewhat preaching to the converted here but that is so so fuxking misleading and actually once the statistics are broken down - not true at all! I've spent much of my career working with universities on entry for students so I'm pretty well versed in this. Students from Indian minority backgrounds are hugely over represented in universities  - think pretty much everyone from this background goes to university and its unusual not to. Black males and males and females from Bangladeshi backgrounds are hugely under represented in universities to the point where it's a constant noted concern from universities and there are bursary's, funds and projects in place to try and rectify this. Working class white British males are also under represented in university but middle and upper class white males are most definitely not, and white females of all classes are highly represented in university.  The statistics they are quoting are hugely swayed by British Indians, take them out of the count and all of a sudden the numbers will drop dramatically making all of the quote, essentially, bullshit.

• Moderators

Harking back to yesterday as I've only just sifted through the detritus. Being adept at google and wikipedia does not a clever person make. Much like the time someone on here claimed that Rugby League was massive in North Wales and bigger than Union up here as she saw that Rugby League in Wales was formed in Wrexham.

No fucker played it like. Or watched it.

3 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

Not saying it's not a little irksome but probably worth knowing a little more about why (well possibly why - I know someone who's name is mispelt due to a drunken parent filling out a form...)
https://www.salon.com/2008/08/25/creative_black_names/

Ironically, names are part of the institutional racism that no longer exists in this country. White men see black names on a CV and their bias kicks in, making sure they don’t make it to the interview stage. I believe this was present in Northern Ireland as well. They’d see which school you went to and knew which side of the divide you were on. 

Whilst not on the same level at all, I was originally going to be called Finbar but my parents decided that giving a child an Irish name in 1970s West Midlands might not be wise. 

And also, today I learned that the always brilliant John Amaechi wasn’t originally called John. He explains it here as he reacts to the end of institutional racism in the UK

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Whilst not on the same level at all, I was originally going to be called Finbar but my parents decided that giving a child an Irish name in 1970s West Midlands might not be wise. 

On the plus side of things you must have been pleased not to have been called Finbar though. Keith is much cooler.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ironically, names are part of the institutional racism that no longer exists in this country. White men see black names on a CV and their bias kicks in, making sure they don’t make it to the interview stage. I believe this was present in Northern Ireland as well. They’d see which school you went to and knew which side of the divide you were on. 

Also, the name thing was an issue in Northern Ireland too, as you can see in this documentary footage.

2 hours ago, organizedkaos said:

Not saying it's not a little irksome but probably worth knowing a little more about why (well possibly why - I know someone who's name is mispelt due to a drunken parent filling out a form...)
https://www.salon.com/2008/08/25/creative_black_names/

Very good point, but I just thought it was a silly spelling thats all (says he who has a stupidly spelled name)

I was originally going to be called Finbar 

My parents wanted to call me Ryan until they realised that on school registers it would've looked like Bacon Rind and OH MY GOD HOW WOULD I HAVE EVER COPED WITH THAT TRAUMA!

White men see black names on a CV and their bias kicks in, making sure they don’t make it to the interview stage

I can vouch for this, having witnessed years of it. It's also why we encouraged Europeans and Africans to take their photos off their CVs (which is a fairly pointless thing anyway) God, typing that sentence is so fucking depressing.

I remember sending a spec CV (All personal info taken off and sent as an 'enticing' tool to a manager who may not necessarily have a position).

Manager asked for a full CV for interview and then decided that Winston wouldn't "fit in well with a name like that". 

Winston was white and from Tamworth.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Very good point, but I just thought it was a silly spelling thats all (says he who has a stupidly spelled name)

My parents wanted to call me Ryan until they realised that on school registers it would've looked like Bacon Rind and OH MY GOD HOW WOULD I HAVE EVER COPED WITH THAT TRAUMA!

I can vouch for this, having witnessed years of it. It's also why we encouraged Europeans and Africans to take their photos off their CVs (which is a fairly pointless thing anyway) God, typing that sentence is so fucking depressing.

I remember sending a spec CV (All personal info taken off and sent as an 'enticing' tool to a manager who may not necessarily have a position).

Manager asked for a full CV for interview and then decided that Winston wouldn't "fit in well with a name like that". 

Winston was white and from Tamworth.

I know a Winston from Lichfield just outside Tamworth. If it's the same bloke he is a bit of a prick so probably wouldn't fit in well.

Its incredibly depressing though, I've been shortlisting with a colleague who has wasn't sure about shortlisting someone due to them having an Asian name and being worried about their English. I work with that person now and again they were born and raided locally and minus having a nippy Morningside accent unsurprisingly had perfect English. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I know we have bigger fish to fry, but the spelling of Steeve there has really annoyed me.

Me too. Just like Gregg Wallace.

I've even seen Gary spelled with two R's. Two R's! Imagine the kind of delinquent that has that name!