DavidB6937 Posted February 6 Posted February 6 Any time I've seen Fallon it always feels like it's about him. He's so involved in absolutely everything. I mean maybe that's just the US chat show style but it feels even more prominent with him. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted February 6 Posted February 6 1 hour ago, BomberPat said: The "Late Night" format has never really worked here, which again I put down to the different cultures around comedy writing, but also just different baselines for what TV comedy looks like. They get chat shows, we get panel shows. I think the late night chat show doesn't work over here because they’re aired at 11/11:30pm in the US as that’s still part of the prime time slot for them, but that time slot doesn’t get enough viewers over here to justify it. 11pm seems to be considered a bit of a death slot for TV shows in the UK. You’d never have any big shows airing at that time. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted February 6 Members Posted February 6 11pm is waaaaaay past my bedtime these days. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 18 minutes ago, Chili said: I'd like the UK SNL to book hosts people won't like, controversial people. What I genuinely like about SNL, even though it might not make me laugh, is the variety and scope of who is up for it. The first series in the US had Ron Nessen on it, who was then Republican President Gerald Ford's press secretary. They stitched him up, but he still did it, and they still in the years after had people on of different sides of the coin. I'd like that, just because it's a bit daring. BUT I feel the culture wars mentality of lots of folk mean that the reaction would be 'they're pandering to insert whatever.' The show has to take some risks, it can't be another fucking Friday Night Project. They'd have to do a better job than they did with bloody Spitting Image, though. Just came across like they were trying so hard to be oh-so-balanced and reasonable, they just ended up making shit jokes about anyone on the left. Quote
deathrey Posted February 6 Posted February 6 16 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: Any time I've seen Fallon it always feels like it's about him. He's so involved in absolutely everything. I mean maybe that's just the US chat show style but it feels even more prominent with him. Yeah, I have only really watched it for musical guests but if the episode has had someone I like being interviewed, I'll try to watch the interview. Most of the time I've ended up forwarding through them as they are so boring, and as you say it's often all about Fallon. I think that's what I like about Graham Norton, the sofa is a lot of fun and even guests you don't care about can be quite an entertaining watch, I don't find that with most American talk shows. Quote
Paid Members Wretch Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 Can I suggest that everyone checks out the Tommy Tiernan show? You'll find full episodes here: Tommy Tiernan - YouTube The premise being that in each episode, Tommy doesn't know who his guest will be, so there's zero scripted or pre-rehearsed. A wonderful antidote to your god-awful, arse kissing and fake laughing US style chat show, where the guest is usually only there to plug something. The nature of Tommy's show actually allows the conversation to breathe, which is obviously a bit much to ask of our friends across the pond. If nothing else, check out the episode with Paul Giamatti here. It's a belter. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 I remember Richard Whiteley doing that once, Patsy Palmer was his guest and he had no fucking clue who she was. Excruciating telly. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 (edited) 12 hours ago, deathrey said: Personally I quite enjoy Graham Norton - it does depend on who the guests are but I'll always take a look when I see it's on. Graham Norton is very good at what he does but I personally don't enjoy him. His show feels less like a genuine interview/conversation and more of just him setting his guests up to tell anecdotes his research team found them previously talking about in other interviews. Out of the American ones Conan and Letterman were my faves. No time for Fallon at all. Conan's podcast is brilliant and well worth a listen. Edited February 6 by LaGoosh Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 My basic issue is I'm not really interested in celebrity interviews, so they're handicapped from the start really. Conan is the only one I've truly enjoyed and if his show was on over here I would have watched it. Letterman was enjoyable and I like clips, but I couldn't have sat through it regularly. Fallon is completely dead behind the eyes. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 I liked Friday Night With Jonathan Ross. Sue me! Stopped watching when he went to ITV and the quality of guests plummeted. Quote
Chili Posted February 6 Posted February 6 For me what I love about the Conan show especially his Late Night era was the remote skits he did in location. Some of there are absolutely wonderful. The old timey baseball and the one where helps a staff writer find an apartment are brilliant because he's such a dickhead but absolutely calling out nonsense like the realtor with their jargon speak. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 No mentions of Craig Ferguson, how very dare you all. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted February 6 Members Posted February 6 This is my favourite Conan clip, gloriously chaotic. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said: No mentions of Craig Ferguson, how very dare you all. He'll always be Bing Hitler to me. Quote
Chico Torres Posted February 6 Posted February 6 I’m not against American humour, not a huge fan but I can appreciate it in many cases, but anything I have ever seen from SNL has been utter shite, just deeply unfunny. And it applies to the clip I see from current shows as well as the supposed glory years. There was a kind of British version in the late 80s, Saturday Live (later Friday Night Live) with Ben Elton, Harry Enfield, Fry and Laurie, Rik Mayall etc Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.