Chili Posted February 4 Posted February 4 (edited) 15 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: Yeah I'm not convinced the SNL style works here so either it bombs because it doesn't work or they change things a lot. I'll give it a go out of curiosity anyway. I think something over here that might be an issue is SNL used to be (been a while since I watched) a show where quite a broad spectrum of people of varying politics and opinions went on and 'happily' took the piss out of themselves a bit, and I don't see it happening in this country now. Regardless, it'll get called 'woke' by the usuals for reasons that make no sense. Edited February 4 by Chili Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted February 5 Paid Members Posted February 5 Wasn't the issue with SNL and equivalents never taking off over here that we just don't have the Writer's Room approach to comedy that they have in the US? I worry that without that, and without a US TV budget, then a floor show with sketches and musical guests ends up looking a lot less like a big glitzy American appointment viewing production, and more like an '80s light ent variety show. Quote
King Coconut Posted February 5 Posted February 5 57 minutes ago, BomberPat said: Wasn't the issue with SNL and equivalents never taking off over here that we just don't have the Writer's Room approach to comedy that they have in the US? Yeah, this isn't anywhere near the UK's first attempt at this and it's never worked. Quote
deathrey Posted February 5 Posted February 5 Daily variety shows in the vein of Tonight with Jimmy Fallon etc just don't seem to have the same appeal in the UK. The closest thing we seem to have is 'magazine' style shows like This Morning Quote
Chili Posted February 5 Posted February 5 1 hour ago, deathrey said: Daily variety shows in the vein of Tonight with Jimmy Fallon etc just don't seem to have the same appeal in the UK. The closest thing we seem to have is 'magazine' style shows like This Morning Aren't they chat shows though, Fallon, Conan etc. They always seem to pull that off better than us too. When was the last good UK chat show? Graham Norton peaked with 'So' on C4. I like Alan Carr, but I'm not really into sitting through a chat show with him. Was Parkinson the last great one. Des O'Connor not withstanding. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted February 5 Moderators Posted February 5 It's funny because it seems Americans on Reddit always go on about how much better Graham Norton is than any of their chat shows. Grass it's always greener, eh? Fallon is a fucking terrible host but he gets good musical acts on and I know he has a part in the booking of them so I respect him for that. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted February 5 Members Posted February 5 I think Graham Norton is a superb chat show host. That show is exactly what it needs to be and he does it really well. Not as if I watch every week though, but Rachel McAdams was on Friday so I watched (just for you @Chest Rockwell Rachel they gon call me Mr McAaaaadams) and he's as good as he's ever been. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted February 5 Paid Members Posted February 5 I fucking hate Parkinson. Unbelievable a man so dull is so revered. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted February 5 Paid Members Posted February 5 I get the impression that Americans are fans of Graham Norton because they're initially blown away that British TV allows swearing and drinking on primetime telly. Quote
deathrey Posted February 5 Posted February 5 (edited) 8 hours ago, Chili said: Aren't they chat shows though, Fallon, Conan etc. They always seem to pull that off better than us too. When was the last good UK chat show? Graham Norton peaked with 'So' on C4. I like Alan Carr, but I'm not really into sitting through a chat show with him. Was Parkinson the last great one. Des O'Connor not withstanding. Kind of, but they are more topical I think. Any time I've watched Fallon he has always done 10 minutes at the beginning almost like stand up about the big news features of the day, we don't really have that here. We certainly don't have any that are daily shows. Personally I quite enjoy Graham Norton - it does depend on who the guests are but I'll always take a look when I see it's on. Parkinson, Alan Carr, Wogan, Des O'Connor etc were very much chat shows without the topical news coverage Edited February 5 by deathrey Quote
CTXRussomark Posted February 6 Posted February 6 Just want to add to the "I fucking detest Jimmy Fallon" sentiment. By far the most insincere, pandering, unfunny cunt of all the US TV hosts (now that James Corden has fucked off). I can't even watch a clip of him without feeling a sense of rage that he's made a career out of being such a sycophantic twat. Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 I have hopes for the UK version of SNL, if only because series 1 will have Sky/NOW chucking money at it to be a success. I'm quite happy they went with up and coming talents with a few that stand out a little more than others (think it'll be a big year for Ania) and I'm intrigued as to how much they push the boat out for hosts and musical guests. Its worth a try in 2026 at least. And any sketch comedy that isn't reruns of Little Britain is fine with me. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted February 6 Posted February 6 https://www.facebook.com/share/v/19wqrU6taf/ I doubt the British version will be anywhere near as clever as this Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 11 hours ago, Carbomb said: I get the impression that Americans are fans of Graham Norton because they're initially blown away that British TV allows swearing and drinking on primetime telly. I think it's a combination of that, and the weird mix of guests all being on the sofa at once, so you get a massive Hollywood celeb reacting to a story by a British D-lister, and Miriam Margolyes is there. It makes for good short social media content, and a freer flowing vibe than a US chat show. The "Late Night" format has never really worked here, which again I put down to the different cultures around comedy writing, but also just different baselines for what TV comedy looks like. They get chat shows, we get panel shows. Quote
Chili Posted February 6 Posted February 6 (edited) I'd like the UK SNL to book hosts people won't like, controversial people. What I genuinely like about SNL, even though it might not make me laugh, is the variety and scope of who is up for it. The first series in the US had Ron Nessen on it, who was then Republican President Gerald Ford's press secretary. They stitched him up, but he still did it, and they still in the years after had people on of different sides of the coin. I'd like that, just because it's a bit daring. BUT I feel the culture wars mentality of lots of folk mean that the reaction would be 'they're pandering to insert whatever.' The show has to take some risks, it can't be another fucking Friday Night Project. Anyway, Jimmy Fallon is gash. Conan is the don of the US talk show fellas for me. Quite like most I've seen of Letterman back in the day too. Even if Paul Schaefer is unbearable on it and fannies around on most of the musical guests songs. Yank Jools Holland. Edited February 6 by Chili Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.