Hot Drinks

Chris B

• Paid Members
Just now, Gus Mears said:

According to Wikipedia, "Barleycup's ingredients comprise roasted barley, rye and chicory". Although if you'd ever drank it you would be forgiven for thinking it was a mixture of various kinds of animal shit. 

Ah, sounds like a variation on camp coffee. My mum told me about how there were all sorts of chicory-based replacements for coffee during WWII that were still widely available until the end of rationing in 1953. Also explains why there are still some people who like having chicory in their coffee.

I don't have hot drinks usually.  If I'm out and have to, I'll have a double espresso.  Mainly so I can get annoyed at people calling it an expresso.

I used to drink green tea though, maybe I should get back on that.

• Paid Members

One of the types of coffee I'd like to try is that Vietnamese egg coffee, the one made with condensed milk. I've got a ridiculous sweet-tooth, and really need to cut down on the sugar, but would like to try one of those before I die (of heart-attack most likely).

Think it was @simonworden who posted about them before.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I have my coffee mixed with kebab meat because I'm from the West Midlands.

Ya saft woofter. Should have it with your faggots and paise

• Paid Members

Love coffee, all day, every day. I've got a machine but I'm not particularly set on one kind yet, I like most. I'm enjoying the Starbucks house blend just now, and I like the novelty of getting dozens of cups worth for the price I'd pay for one in a shop (£3-odd for 200g bag). Will and do happily accept whatever instant stuff people make me while I'm working as well, it's mostly all good too!

I like the Nescafe Gold cappuccino sachets also, and they're handy for when I run out of milk.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Ya saft woofter. Should have it with your faggots and paise

That missed.

Anyway, I'm a gannet for tea. I normally drink Glengettie, although I'll also have Yorkshire Gold when it's cheap in Home Bargains. At the football I'll have a Bovril andm moan that there's no pepper to put in it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Love coffee, all day, every day. I've got a machine but I'm not particularly set on one kind yet, I like most. I'm enjoying the Starbucks house blend just now, and I like the novelty of getting dozens of cups worth for the price I'd pay for one in a shop (£3-odd for 200g bag). Will and do happily accept whatever instant stuff people make me while I'm working as well, it's mostly all good too!

I like the Nescafe Gold cappuccino sachets also, and they're handy for when I run out of milk.

I do love coffee as well - I just drink too much. But to the surprise of no-one, I'm a bit of a coffee ponce. Not entirely intentionally, though. I was happy to stick with the fancy instants, then my sister got me an electric coffee grinder for Christmas, while also getting my dad an espresso maker which he never uses. Then a mate gave me a fancy pack of coffee beans (think it was Costa Rican Tres Rios), and I sort of got hooked. Once in a while, if I'm a bit flush with cash and feeling a bit self-indulgent, I'll go down to the Algerian Coffee Stores in Soho and pick up a bag of coffee I've not tried before. One day I'm going to splash out and get a bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain. I draw the line at Kopi Luak, though.

One advantage to living where I do is that Turkish coffee's really cheap and easy to get hold of. You have to make it the old-fashioned way in a ҫezve, a small, long-handled coffee saucepan, to get the froth on the top and the strong, aromatic flavour. Caffeine-wise, it tends to knock your socks off. A tin of Mehmet Efendi coffee's only a couple of quid.

• Paid Members

If I'm out at Costanerobuck's I usually go for a chai latte or peppermint tea if they don't do one for some reason.

Tim Horton's steeped tea is class as well.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

One of the types of coffee I'd like to try is that Vietnamese egg coffee, the one made with condensed milk. I've got a ridiculous sweet-tooth, and really need to cut down on the sugar, but would like to try one of those before I die (of heart-attack most likely).

Think it was @simonworden who posted about them before.

Yeah, I've not tried one yet (in 5 years) actually. They're more of a Northern thing so haven't had many opportunities. Next time I have a chance to do so I will let you know what it's like. Tried a coconut coffee which was lovelly. 

Also had a cold drip coffee (admittedly not really a hot drink) left me wired for hours!