Hot Drinks

Chris B

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The best coffee in London is 2 minutes walk from Southwark station in the renovated arches. Absolutely banging and a proper coffee where you can actually feel the caffeine.

Id say on a bad day, I drink 6-8 cups of coffee a day. Really is the best drug.

I do drink a lot of coffee in addition to all the tea. Mainly in the morning, though. I'm actually getting a bit worried as to how much I'm apparently relying on it to get me going.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

One of the bonuses of brown rice tea (at least, the Japanese version, not had the Chinese) is that the tea is roasted, so it doesn't have as much caffeine in it.

The one I have is Japanese as well, they just sell it at the Chinese supermarket.

12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I do drink a lot of coffee in addition to all the tea. Mainly in the morning, though. I'm actually getting a bit worried as to how much I'm apparently relying on it to get me going.

I get banging headaches when I haven’t had one. Could never give it up

• Paid Members

My Gran used to make Grandad drink the utterly foul concoction that is BarleyCup after he had a quadruple bypass because 'it was good for his heart'. Not only did it taste like turds, he also died of a massive heart attack anyway, so it didn't even work for the poor fucker. 

• Paid Members

At home I drink Yorkshire Gold that my mum sends me, like contraband in the post. If I run out, it's PG Tips, which is a step up from the lipton muck I used to have to drink.

I hate coffee, but I need the caffeine a lot of the time, so it's terrible coffee pot crap hopefully with creamer not milk at work, and Trader Joe's with some funky super sweet creamer at home. 

Coffee... Always coffee for me. 

Currantly drinking Hot Lava Java from Taylors of Harrogate. I'm a bit of a coffee nerd.. So I buy the beans and grind my own when needed.. I've got a Barr grinder and even went out and bought a Brita filter kettle. It makes tea and coffee taste so much better and is a pretty simple little change you can make. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

If I run out, it's PG Tips, which is a step up from the lipton muck I used to have to drink.

That Lipton tea they serve over in the US is still just as awful, huh? I remember needing at least two bags to get any kind of flavour.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I get banging headaches when I haven’t had one. Could never give it up

I don't get headaches, but I do feel really sluggish. Partly also down to my having insomnia and shit-quality sleep in general, but coffee usually gives me that kick-start to get out of it.

19 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I bought some Horlicks recently. It's not as malty is I remember it, and ultimately it tasted just like hot milk with the slightest taste of malt. Not impressed.

Yeah, it really isn't as good as it used to be. I found that supermarket own-brand malted milk drinks generally taste stronger. Also, Ovaltine's always a classic if you want malty flavours.

Something I was surprised to see years ago: there are Chinese dishes that use Horlicks. I've seen stuff like Chinese-style lamb chops in Horlicks sauce. Had to try it just to see what it was like - just tasted like white sauce.

14 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

My Gran used to make Grandad drink the utterly foul concoction that is BarleyCup after he had a quadruple bypass because 'it was good for his heart'. Not only did it taste like turds, he also died of a massive heart attack anyway, so it didn't even work for the poor fucker. 

What is that? Never heard of it until now.