Hot Drinks

Chris B

• Paid Members

What are your favourite hot drinks? Not going for a tea vs coffee thing - more generally and specifically. (Apologies if this has been done before - I don't remember it, and couldn't find it in search)

I tried mint tea when I was a teenager and didn't like it, but recently tried it again and it's bloody lovely. it's become my go-to if I'm over-caffeinated, especially if it's fresh mint tea. I've also switched to almond milk in my lattes, as I'm trying to cut down on dairy, and it's my favourite dairy-replacement by far.

In terms of at-home tea, Barry's Tea (the red box version), which is an Irish brand, is the best cup of tea around. Slightly darker and stronger than most, it's a really good Saturday-morning-in-front-of-the-TV kind of tea. Morrisons sells it, and I've started seeing it in other supermarkets too. I read a little while ago that Irish tea tends to have its roots more in African tea rather than Indian/Chinese, and tends to be a little stronger.

Also, I live in Haringey, which means a lot of cafes tend to finish off your meal with a small cup of strong, sweet Turkish tea. It's amazing stuff. Served in little bastard-hot glasses, but totally worth scorching your hand and mouth for.

• Paid Members

Never been fussy when it comes to coffee. Always have coffee until about half 11 in the morning and any old shite will do, as long as it has some milk and a sugar in.

Tea on the other had, has to be a cup of Yorkshire Tea, made so it's almost dark orange in colour. Anything else and if feels like the water has only been showed the teabag and tastes like witches piss.

At a football match though, it has to be a cup of overpriced Bovril with a few sachets of black pepper in(and obviously served so hot it would melt a small child if spilt on them...)

Edited by Cod Eye

• Moderators

I'm not fussy with tea bags at home. Tesco own brand is fine. I always either add dried powder or fresh spices to make chai anyway so it doesn't matter that much what the base flavour of the tea bags is. Apart from that I have two other teas I drink at home -

* peppermint tea. Again Tesco brand. It's just dried mint, I'm not paying over the odds for that. And I'll use the same teabag at least twice.

* roasted brown rice green tea. This stuff is amazing. The rice really takes the bitterness out of the green tea. It's the only way I can drink green tea now. I get it off Amazon or from the Chinese supermarket.

At work I drink Yorkshire Gold, splash of milk, no sugar.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

At work I drink Yorkshire Gold, splash of milk, no sugar.

Christ, where do you work? Blenheim Palace? Nothing but multi packs of crap PG tips at my office. I'd kill for Yorkshire. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Not all that fussed about coffee, so long as it does the job. I do enjoy a decent blend in a proper coffee house, but I'm not enough of a coffee snob to know what to ask for, or know what I like about it. I've only really drunk black coffee for 10+ years, with the occasional Cortado if I was in Costa as I find their filter coffee undrinkable black - since having to cut out dairy this year, that's more or less forced my hand anyway.

I rarely drink coffee at home, and for work I'll just buy a cheap instant coffee to see me through. One of my best friends owns a coffee shop where I spend a lot of my downtime, so I used to go through a lot of coffee in a day, but try and limit myself to three cups now.

I'm a recent convert to herbal teas. I collect Moomin paraphernalia, and last year someone bought me a box of Moomin-themed flavoured teas, and they're almost all bloody lovely. Far more likely to drink that at home than coffee.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Every time I'm reminded Chest doesn't like coffee I'm disappointed.

I really like coffee flavoured things, just not drinking coffee itself...

33 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Christ, where do you work? Blenheim Palace? Nothing but multi packs of crap PG tips at my office. I'd kill for Yorkshire. 

Ha! Yeah, no way are work paying for those. My project manager is from Yorkshire and refuses to drink anything else. She drinks my brown rice green tea and supplies me with those in kind. And we keep our tea in our lockers because if you put anything good in the kitchen it'll be gone in a day.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Grande latte, bit of sugar, cinnamon and chocolate sprinkled on top. Sometimes with syrup- preferably hazelnut. Nothing fancy, quite straightforward.

I bet this sort of thing confuses the Hull boys on here.

• Paid Members

I love a nice coffee. At home and work, I just have instant and I'm not particularly fussed what it is. Do enjoy a coffee out though. Tend to just have Americano these days due to the calories in a latte but I do love one of those milky bastards as a treat. Had an astonishingly good coffee recently but I can't for the life of me remember where. Really annoying me because I remember commenting to the missus how good it was.

I don't mind tea occassionally. Yorkshire tea all the way. We do get a Ringtons delivery and that's nice stuff too. Just their everyday blend.

Up until about 3-4 years ago, we used to have about 2 hot drinks a week between us, usually just with a McDonald's breakfast or something. Now it's 4-5 a day. Not sure if that's just getting old or if the kids have drained the fuck out of us!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I tried mint tea when I was a teenager and didn't like it, but recently tried it again and it's bloody lovely. it's become my go-to if I'm over-caffeinated, especially if it's fresh mint tea. I've also switched to almond milk in my lattes, as I'm trying to cut down on dairy, and it's my favourite dairy-replacement by far.

Mint tea is excellent for digestion in particular. Great for after a particularly big meal if you're feeling bloated.

One variant I particularly like is the Libyan blend of mint & sage. Gives it a nice, slightly bitter kick, but with a pleasant aroma.

Recommendation: if you have a bit of space, cultivate your own mint plant in a pot, and make fresh tea with it. As with any plant, the more leaves you cut (within reason), the more it'll grow back in place.

46 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

* roasted brown rice green tea. This stuff is amazing. The rice really takes the bitterness out of the green tea. It's the only way I can drink green tea now. I get it off Amazon or from the Chinese supermarket.

One of my favourite non-black teas. The aroma's very soothing too, helps me de-stress. One of the bonuses of brown rice tea (at least, the Japanese version, not had the Chinese) is that the tea is roasted, so it doesn't have as much caffeine in it.

When it comes to black teas, my mum won't have anything other than Yorkshire Tea, unless it's Mauritian vanilla.