Hot Drinks

Chris B

• Awards Moderator
49 minutes ago, Loki said:

takes a bit of the bitterness away

If it's bitter, buy better coffee. The hand grinder is a great start. When starting on the path to coffee noncery, 80% of your budget should be on the grinder. Always burr, never blades. 

• Paid Members

I always thought bitterness came from the water being too hot and scalding the grinds.

Anyway I really enjoyed my decaf tonight. Sleep well everyone.

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

If it's bitter, buy better coffee. The hand grinder is a great start. When starting on the path to coffee noncery, 80% of your budget should be on the grinder. Always burr, never blades. 

Yeah, I've got a good electric one.  I know a lot of coffee nonces make americanos and shit, but I'm an old school filter machine, so I can make enough for two of us for a morning.

My favourite everyday bean is the Café Direct Machu Picchu, No 4 roast.  Strong, heavy roast, chocalatey.   But people seem to prefer the less roasted stuff nowadays which I find too tart.

• Paid Members

Machu Picchu is nice. There was an Indian one I tried, Malamar it might have been called was really nice too. Kenyan is really good if you want something sweet and fruity.

• Awards Moderator
42 minutes ago, Loki said:

less roasted stuff nowadays which I find too tart

Tartness and acidity comes from lower altitudes, not roast level. 

For deep, chocolate roasts look to Colombian and Peruvian beans. Buy something with a 'roasted on' date, which is more honest than a year old 'best before' date. A really decent nationwide company has sprung up called Roastworks which combines availability with good ethics. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had some time today so played around with the stove top and a new syrup.

spacer.png

Super cheap and you only need the tiniest bit but lovely.

spacer.png

There she is, the love of my life. She's grubby, and will never win any beauty contests, but shes the best.

spacer.png

Tesco own oat milk (heated up), which was a bugger to froth, and took ages. Bubbles went quite quickly with vigorous banging though (phwoooaaaaar)

spacer.png

Art. Wasn't trying a pattern but then halfway through wanted to, so let's just call this "Attempt 563"

There you go. Caramel latte with oat milk. Absolutely glorious.