Hot Drinks

Chris B

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yorkshire tea has gone woke, lads. Country’s finished. 

When I did my work experience in the 90s I went to a bakery (it was near my nans, so I got treated like a king for a fortnight, its why I chose it over anything I was actually interested in) and the owner had about 6 or 7 cups of tea with honey each shift.

• Paid Members

Is this a safe enough space for me to admit I still use a Tassimo? 

I've had various machines of theirs over the last 10 years. Yes, 99% of the coffee is garbage and the pods are horrendous for the environment, but a lack of space and ease of use keep me attached. 

As mentioned, the majority of their coffees are absolute toilet, but I've been exclusively buying the Jacobs Cafe Crema XL Intenso pods for several years now. They are fairly strong and I tend to have around 3 a day. The Mrs really likes the Au Lait milky/frothy things so we tend to buy bulk packages of each from Ebay/Amazon which are always fairly reasonably priced. 

I do have a French Press thing but I'm a lazy bastard and can never be bothered to use it. 

• Moderators

I have a pod machine. You can buy compostable pods at least these days, so that's something.

It's probably not as good as real coffee but i only started drinking coffee last year anyway so I'm not a snob (yet).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Whenever we get an order of pods, they always include a green recycling bag specifically for the pods. But there's no recycle centre near us that takes them, so like the bastard I am, they just go in the rubbish bin. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

We have food waste recycling bins here and i just chuck my pods in there. If it wasn't easy i wouldn't bother either, I won't lie.

We have food waste bins here, but the Tassimo pods are non compostable. However, I wasn't aware that some brand's pods could go in the food bin. I'll have to look into that and maybe make a change down the road. 

43 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

We have food waste bins here, but the Tassimo pods are non compostable. However, I wasn't aware that some brand's pods could go in the food bin. I'll have to look into that and maybe make a change down the road. 

I think it's mainly the Nescafé machine ones that are compostable rather than Tassimo. I have a Tassimo machine and it's in the loft now mainly because I stopped using it. 

I've been drinking coffee more than a year but I'm far from a snob as I've only started to regularly drink it since I've had kids, tea did the trick before that. I drink Azera and only recently discovered that, I'm sure most of you will be disgusted. I am quite snobby about tea though

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

100% the best instant coffee. 

Nescafé Blend 37 used to be the best, but I think they've changed the recipe or something.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

100% the best instant coffee. 

The Lidl knock-off of Azera tastes very similar at a fraction of the price I've found, which has been a big help when I don't have time to make a "proper" coffee. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, deathrey said:

I drink Azera and only recently discovered that, I'm sure most of you will be disgusted. I am quite snobby about tea though

I used to help manage a coffee kiosk that was obsessed with having the absolute best coffee in town, i was already a trained barista before i worked there but they sent me to 2 days at the London school of coffee to learn more about coffee, i did a whole day of coffee theory which i didn't even know was a thing, then a day of coffee practical. Then after that the kiosk owner still wouldn't let me make a coffee for a customer for 3 months, during which i had to practice making coffee for staff and myself every day -remember i already knew how to make coffee before I even started there. they were that anal, they used seasonal small batch extra high end coffee beans etc. Anyway that just to preface the following; When they had a large order for catering and it was impractical to make that much espresso they'd send a thermos of Azera cos they thought so highly of it. And these guys were the biggest coffee snobs conceivable.

@Chest Rockwell nice one on starting drinking coffee, I'm so proud.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

• Awards Moderator
13 minutes ago, mim731 said:

when I don't have time to make a "proper" coffee.

I'd rather be late than miss out on my coffee. 

@FelatioLips how's your journey into full-on coffee nonce coming along?