AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

I haven't seen Double or Nothing just watched the pre-show and from reading the comments here and on twitter they did what they set to do. They were never going to become the number 1 company after 1 show, they're meant to be an alternative to the WWE. It's their 1st show so mistakes are bound to be made in production. I actually like abit of chaos and fuck ups as it feels abit more raw and that anything can happen unlike in WWE where everything seems too polished and planned. Visually the production looked great and not some indy show.

• Paid Members

It was a mixed bag of the terrible and some great business, which I expected. Thankfully the ending was mint, so you came away with a good feel for the future.

The Rhodes boys got the show on track. Honestly, I thought it was absolutely rubbish up until someone forgot to clue JR the show was about to pick up. Prior to the match it felt like a forgettable attack of moves done by skinny lads because moves. I bring it up because once the Rhodes put some proper work in and got into actually telling a story, it instantly elevated the product. No 750 arse slice bucket drop, just some good craft on show. The blade job was genius, in that it was so heavy it was very nearly impossible not to feel Dustin was in danger. Not going to lie, had a bit of a lump in my throat for the post match stuff too, which again highlights what a good job Cody, Dustin and JR did to tell the tale. More of this and I'll be delighted.

The main event was good. It's a shame they blew the DDT sequence which led to the finish because it meant the end did feel a little clunky. Good scrap, though. Jericho did a good job on his promo and Moxley came across as a megastar - Omega v Moxley is instantly a hot feud.

The worst thing about the show was the commentary. JR seemed shake off his rust for the Rhodes match and did his best to elevate the other two, but it was distractingly terrible from them. Excalibur has some potential, if he drops that phoney screaming he does when the action picks up. However, the fat lad with the Nu-Metal goatee is irredeemably shite. He had nothing interesting to add ever and has the vocal delivery and demeanour of a milksop. Genuinely could be the worst commentator I've ever heard. He looked and sounded like he wanted to be somewhere else. Imagine if they didn't have JR around to mask this dull tit.

It didn't feel all that different too. WWE-lite, for the most part.

I went in expecting a lot of mistakes and there was plenty, but when the action mattered they did the job, which is definitely encouraging. Hopefully the give Dustin the belt in a month or months.

11 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I don't want slicck WWE production personally. I want it gritty, a bit rough around the edges. For me WWE is off putting precisely because it's so shiny and polished. 

Couldn't agree more mate. 

Huge fan of Saturday night PPV's also. I'm really excited for what the future holds with AEW.

25 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

To be fair to Tilde (this once) MPDTT didn't go, unless the MGM Grand's IP address has a mask on it to make it appear as Bermondsley.

Tilde's full of crap. Don't know where you are seeing my IP, but it's 5am in Vegas and I'm very much here and about to head to the airport for the first of 2 flights today.

Bermondsey is zone 2 South London, where I lived for a year in 2012.

I'll be back next year, if the plan remains for this to be an annual Vegas event on memorial day weekend. I've had a blast.

16 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I don't want slicck WWE production personally. I want it gritty, a bit rough around the edges. For me WWE is off putting precisely because it's so shiny anhed. I

5 minutes ago, Mr Kennedy said:

Fair enough. But they need to get the basics right. During the battle royale, there had to be nothing significant happening in the ring during entrances as the live crowd could miss it. 

There was a hurricanrana into ace crusher spot which production didn’t manage to get a decent shot on too, and the cigarette placed onto Janela’s head was missed as well. 

I agree with the majority though, these can all easily be fixed. And if we’re sat here noticing these things, then I’ve no doubt that a top production crew will be rewatching at some point and noticing these things too.  

Yeah it's this kinda stuff really, struggling to get the cracker barrel out  the ring and the small bits of camera work, thought the Jericho evolution guys on the tron could have been slicker without lights on off etc.perhaps just a single spotlight on each. It will come im sure 

2 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Tilde's full of crap. Don't know where you are seeing my IP, but it's 5am in Vegas and I'm very much here and about to head to the airport for the first of 2 flights today.

I'll be back next year, if the plan remains for this to be an annual Vegas event on memorial day weekend. I've had a blast.

Pictures or it didn’t happen..

#Bermondsey4Life

9 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

It’s 6pm in Katmandu.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

I'm a mod, I can see everyone's IP, press it and see where they are posting from according to their IP. The IP for that post appears to be Nevada. But the ones during the show are from London. Any other Mod can confirm that.

Or you flew to Las Vegas after the show.  You’ve been rumbled it seems.

Just seen a post elsewhere saying how good the show was because it was proper wrestling, not sports entertainment.  Luchasaurus, Orange Cassidy, Michael Nakazawa, Ace Romero...proper super serious wrestlers those guys.

Edited by The Dart