AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

My biggest problem with Marvez was that he was too reserved and quite flat.

With that said, I don’t him recall saying too much stupid shit, just being a bit dull. 

I guess i would prefer that to being annoyingly over the top. 

Edited by RancidPunx

• Paid Members

It was okay.

The pre-show was awful. The Battle Royal was a mess, with only MJF coming off like a star. The backstage skits might've been funny if you watch Being The Elite but I'm guessing I'm not the only one who was just confused.

"Smiley Kylie" is the worst thing in wrestling. She seemed all right in the ring but the "Poundland Bayley" shite has to go. Especially when you had one of the Japanese women doing a similar character, better, later in the show. Turn her heel or get rid of her. 

The main show was a huge improvement. Cody vs Dustin was amazing but there was nothing particularly offensive about the rest of the show, Judas Effect aside. The only matches I struggled to get into were the Bucks vs Lucha Bros and Best Friends vs Jack Evans and Angelico(?) Not just because they were meaningless spotfests, but because there was already so much of that style on the card.

I really hope that the guys in charge watch this back, and see how much more special the Rhodes' match was compared to everything else on the show. It was the only match where every move really felt like it meant something and wasn't just guys trying to get their shit in.

In general, I'd say they need to slow things down and give things time to digest. Even the ending, for example, with Moxley debuting and nailing everybody - You've got your surprise pop, you've set up some future matches. Job Done. Was there really any need for him to brawl with Kenny Omega and then do the big spots on the stage? Wouldn't it have been better to save those spots for another time? Where do you go with them now?

Those criticisms aside, it was worth a watch and there is a lot of potential there. I'll happily watch the next show.

17 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

True but Pepsi talk about Coke, and Burger King talk about McDonalds. You see it in the US all the time, smaller brands take shots at the number one whether in commercials or on their social media. Not that this was a good way of going about it.

That’s my point tho, it just shows you are second place. Act big time and ignore the other side than just show they are bigger than you by trying to take shots at them. 

It did what it needed to for me. A first show is never going to be perfect so a thumbs up for sure. 

Agree that the battle royal probably wasn’t the finest first impression with all the strange gimmicks but I do like Luchasaurus. 

The undercard was okay with the six women tag probably the standout despite the botch. 

Cody and Dustin was terrific, a real throwback because we barely ever see that type of match anymore.

Bucks v Luchas was great for what it was, exactly what you expect from these and like was said before, you love it or hate it. 

Jericho and Omega was very good, Y2J is relying on a bit of smoke and mirrors at this point in his career although is still capable of putting on a top brawl and then loved the Moxley surprise. 

Page v Jericho, Moxley v Omega and Tbe Rhodes Brothers v The Bucks in August. I’m all in. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Louch said:

That’s my point tho, it just shows you are second place. Act big time and ignore the other side than just show they are bigger than you by trying to take shots at them. 

Coke does take the occasional pop at Pepsi, though normally it's in response tbh.

I enjoyed the main show, pre show was pants though. All the problems I had were the kind of thing that can be ironed out over time.

Bucks/Lucha match could have had five minutes or so shaved off.

Joshi match also ran a little long but was a good showcase for those involved. Covered the botch at the end well.

Rhodes War was match of the night. The sledgehammer stuff was a bit naff but seemed to play well to the crowd, hopefully a one off.

Main event was good, not great but good. Jon Moxley's debut was absolutely spot on, even had a touch of Luger shows up on Nitro about it.

Overall they did enough to convince me to stick around.

Edited by The King Of Swing

Didn't watch the show live in the end. Me and my Mrs (who isn't a wrestling fan) stayed up and she after watching the ITV doc was willing to give it a go.

We watched the preshow and she went to bed during the battle royale thinking it was shite. I went to bed shortly after the dodgy ITV handover during Cody's promo and feeling really meh.

I watched most of the event on double speed this morning and watched the Cody Dustin, bucks mucha and main event in full.

These matches were fantastic and moxley debut placed erupted.

However I feel that in its current state AEW is a long way from WWE standard or even a takeover in production and slickness quality and for the lapse or new fan this wasn't the show for them. Hopefully with the TV and the August event they can build up the characters they have as although I'm familiar with the names I didn't know a lot of the lower talent.

Nice however to see something different

24 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

To be fair to Tilde (this once) MPDTT didn't go, unless the MGM Grand's IP address has a mask on it to make it appear as Bermondsley.

I’d say a solid 50% of the card belonged on a Keetons Hall show, so it makes sense.

The Battle Royale was the most ‘Saturday night @ the Skydome’ match ever. Denim Goldust was my favourite shitarse.

4 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I don't want slicck WWE production personally. I want it gritty, a bit rough around the edges. For me WWE is off putting precisely because it's so shiny and polished. 

Fair enough. But they need to get the basics right. During the battle royale, there had to be nothing significant happening in the ring during entrances as the live crowd could miss it. 

There was a hurricanrana into ace crusher spot which production didn’t manage to get a decent shot on too, and the cigarette placed onto Janela’s head was missed as well. 

I agree with the majority though, these can all easily be fixed. And if we’re sat here noticing these things, then I’ve no doubt that a top production crew will be rewatching at some point and noticing these things too.