AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

• Paid Members

I thought nothing would top Spring Break Part 1 as my show of the year, but whoa boy, this smashed it out of the park!

Despite some technical hiccups (the production crew missing some spots, replays cutting off, miscues on three counts, Alex Marvez), I enjoyed every single match on this card and there was so much variety that I never once felt overwhelmed or felt the need to look at my phone. incredible stuff.

I also really liked the finishes for the big singles matches on this show. They were clean and they were dominant. No constant reversals until someone hits a finisher out of nowhere, it was clear and concise. 

If AEW manage to smooth out those issues with the production then they'll be straight fire and the only obstacle in their path will be themselves.

I'm glad that the "this is our serious business great sport professional wrestling, not sports entertainment" stuff turned out to be lies, because it'd likely be boring if it had been true. But the drawback is that it wasn't doing anything new, so it just felt like another second-rate wrestling show. Someone said in the thread it was like an indie with TNA production values, and that was about right. Having a TNA type company on the scene again isn't a bad thing, but it's a far cry from a decent alternative to WWE yet.

Cody vs Dustin was really good. Cody and the Triple H chair thing was sad.

The main event didn't make anyone look great coming out of it, and just ended with Jon Moxley doing Dean Ambrose stuff we've seen a million times.

MJF was the man of the show for me, and he already got his comeuppance.

"I need my older brother!" with Cody's voice breaking was moment of the year, for me. Teared up, so I did. 

I kind of get the TNA comparison, and I'm sure AEW will put ther foot in dogshit plenty of times, but I wholly disagree with it right now. TNA has always had this disgruntled 'rasslin stink to it. Way back to the Asylum days. At their height they didn't do a Bound for Glory with this gate, production or hype. 

This thing is utterly self confident. At no point did it feel like TNA. 

Watched the show this morning and thought it was very good. First time I've watched a Young Bucks or Kenny Omega show too, so wasn't sure what to expect. Arena and set design looked the business as did the ring itself and crowd were hot. Thought the commentary was shite, JR is is too stumbly with his lines and looks depressed as fuck when on camera and the Marvez guy was awful too, just dull. Justin Roberts should be fucked off too.

Cody vs Dustin was fantastic, top top quality and a lovely ending after the match. The Japanese womens match was great fun, and good to see Chris Daniels is still getting a paycheque off someone. Main event was grand, and Moxley showing up was a good surprise. Pity TV isn't until October as they have a bit of momentum at the moment. So much energy and enthusiasm compared to a WWE show, which is one of the main reasons I'll be giving the TV a watch when it starts. Fair play to all involved.

Looks like in order to watch in your own time on your sky box. You need to hit record after the event starts as you cannot record it in advance. I watched last night, hit record out of curiosity and it’s right there on sky planner with ability to forward, pause, rewind etc 

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

If AEW manage to smooth out those issues with the production then they'll be straight fire and the only obstacle in their path will be themselves.

There's an entire industry out there. That's an obstacle in itself. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and believe that a couple of decent shows makes for a sustainable brand or anything like that. The real question is TV. That's where the real battle begins. Give that a while and we'll have a far better idea of what they're capable of, what they really are and more than anything what they're actually 'changing' in this industry. 

If they can sustain the success they've had so far - and I hope they do - then the game is afoot.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Louch said:

That’s my point tho, it just shows you are second place. Act big time and ignore the other side than just show they are bigger than you by trying to take shots at them. 

Aye, but WWE did this to WCW in the mid 90’s with Nacho Man etc. They even sent a bloody tank to a WCW show. They also love to remind us, on every single retrospective that they did so. They then won the war.

Whether it’s ‘good’ or not, it does exactly as intended, it gets people discussing it. 

I'm really digging the Fat Axl look.. I'm not sure if the ageing deluded rockstar who gimmicks himself up to the hilt to hide his insecurities is a gimmick or real but it's pure heel and works for me. The match was solid too and both guys were really going for it, maybe a tad too stiff at times and the finish was a tad weak. Never cared too much for Moxley but that pop was something else, had me on the edge of the seat.

Echo the love for Runnels in the Tunnels but the many character changes of Cody were jarring and took away a little bit of the magic of the match, shame as it could have been my "MOTY". The throne bit was awkward too, 2nd hand embarrassment innit.

The Joshi match was great fun and I kinda love Yuka Sakazaki, such a ball of energy that didn't do bad at all in the ring. Aja was badass and I can ignore any clumsiness at her age, just seeing her was good enough for me.

Smiley Kylie or whatever is the absolute worst I've ever seen, doesn't matter if she can work as she can't pull off that character whatsoever, her smile may be creepier than Stephs. What's Kong been upto these last few years? She still comes across as a stone cold killer but looked a little rusty.

Bucks v Bros lost me completely far before the finish which is a shame as I was really into it before it went OTT with the near falls from silly looking moves.

MJF's been growing on me after watching MLW these past couple of months, shame we can't ever see him vs Bret. Hangman Page looks like a star, he's a stud. Jimmy Havok looks like he should be in some shithole moshing to the dregs of nu-metal, he can fuck off. Jungle Boy needs to bring in his dads old Riverdale mates, do some cross promotion and start a Southside Serpents stable.

Was worried that Yuka Sakazaki may have gone heavy on the comedy but only did a little at the start. She's a load of fun when on form.

Hopefully they bring her back along with her partner Mizuki, who have been a consistent highlight in TJPW. Though god help poor JR if Mizuki and Riho are ever in the same ring.

Only watched the Buy In so far, watching the actual show a little later.

Alex Marvez is fucking awful and don’t say “we’ll tell you later how to order the PPV”. Tell everyone now and tell them multiple times, this is supposed to be a can’t miss show

* Its been mentioned a bunch of times already and it was the first show and all that, but Some very shoddy direction throughout the show,  it that’s all stuff that will come in time. Saying that, if you’ve got Joey Janella doing a spot were he get a cigarette stapled to his forehead, make sure to show that on fucking camera.

* I don’t know who Orange Cassidy is, so that whole bit was lost on me. And that’s poor form from them, you can’t just assume that people know who everyone is and understands inside jokes/references. Those two Librarians can fuck right off. If I want a bunch of sssssh-ing I’ll stick Thomas The Tank Engine on

Edited by WyattSheepMask