AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

I’m going to chime in here because I’m genuinely excited about US pro-wrestling and I can’t recall the last time I felt that way. 

I’ve got the Nitro-feels and all the elements that made 1996 WCW so great, minus the guys that had no business still being in the ring. That show had something for everyone and was a prefect reflection of the industry outside of WWE today. If you don’t like that landscape you won’t like this show, period.

The Rhodes boys tore it down. That was a level of match quality, crowd response and emotion not seen since Cena v Punk at MITB. That’s going to go down as an all-time classic. The homage to their dads amazing promo prior to Clash 28 capped it.

Let’s stop with the WWE v AEW talk. Business, merch, branding, ratings; we are light years apart. AEW is an alternative that benefits everyone and the likes of which I never thought I’d see in my lifetime. They have a platform to really build something and I can’t wait to see where they go.

8 minutes ago, MECox said:

I’m going to chime in here because I’m genuinely excited about US pro-wrestling and I can’t recall the last time I felt that way. 

I’ve got the Nitro-feels and all the elements that made 1996 WCW so great, minus the guys that had no business still being in the ring. That show had something for everyone and was a prefect reflection of the industry outside of WWE today. If you don’t like that landscape you won’t like this show, period.

The Rhodes boys tore it down. That was a level of match quality, crowd response and emotion not seen since Cena v Punk at MITB. That’s going to go down as an all-time classic. The homage to their dads amazing promo prior to Clash 28 capped it.

Let’s stop with the WWE v AEW talk. Business, merch, branding, ratings; we are light years apart. AEW is an alternative that benefits everyone and the likes of which I never thought I’d see in my lifetime. They have a platform to really build something and I can’t wait to see where they go.

Spot on @MECox

So, for a first show, on their own, some teething troubles, but nothing that won't bed in over time. MOTN for me was Cody v Dustin. Dustin juiced a gusher, and now has me wondering how a "prime" Dustin vs 2019 Cody would have been. Interested in how they carry on with the announcement of them teaming up. They got me totally invested. Unlike Jericho v Omega, which never got going for me. Kong is potentially a great addition to the women. A known name, although that does somewhat put Rose in the background a little. Six women joshi special was more entertaining that it could have been on a US-centric card. Whether it was Aja doing what Aja does, or Yuka Sakazaki being more Bayley (and better) than Bayley.

Report card says B-. Good start, needs polish and lacks clear direction. But most importantly, I come out of it wanting to see the next show and how they get on, which is more continuity than WWE have offered in some time.

As an aside, I would much rather a two-man booth. Excalibur and JR. The other guy...not so much.

It pretty much solidified my opinion that I had already - that they have really strong starting blocks across the board and that they should be able to become a solid company going forward.

They played all the right notes. Showed some great talent with some solid old school booking mixed with some crazier new style wrestling, and some nice surprises guaranteed to get pops from the mostly anti-WWE crowd.

Should WWE be scared? I wouldn't say that as such, but there's enough there to take AEW seriously. But then you could've said that about TNA at points too.

The real key to success for AEW going forward is achieving longevity and most of all a solid TV show on a regular basis. That's a way more challenging task than putting on a few big shows. But that'll be where the big rewards come if they can achieve it.

I watched a shortened highlight video on youtube this morning. Apart from the absolutely incredible Dustin Rhodes it seemed like any other indy shows. Same faces and same style matches you can see anywhere. 

Hopefully they do well but people are getting even more carried away than before. 

Dustin Rhodes is the man. That's the kind of vibe I want in wrestling, so if they can have at least one blood feud like that on the boil at any one time, I'll likely be a fan. Elsewhere it was a good to great indie show. 

I was surprised though - big matches aside - at how 'in progress' the whole thing felt. I was expecting lots more vignettes and chime ins from the broadcast team about the wrestlers characters, backgrounds and what their motivations are. The undercard just blended together as a bunch of people doing moves, though. Which I have no interest in. I legit cleaned out the cat litter, mopped the floor and had a hangover poo when it was playing out. I'd pop back for the entrances, then zone out again once the moves started. I guess I was expecting the whole thing to act much more as a primer for the company, but it was for the faithful. I'm sure they enjoyed it.

I'm far from blown away, but I don't know can I be anymore. At the same time I'm not going to balk at silly teething problems and take a shit on the company. It's fine, and I'll give it a fair shake for awhile. 

I'd be quite content to never hear Alex Marvez again, though. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

Bermondsey is zone 2 South London, where I lived for a year in 2012.

I'll be back next year

We'll alert the mayor so he can get the bunting out. 

One small thing I’d do if I was them is create Spotify/YouTube/wherever playlists of the biggest stars entrance themes and actively promote it.

They need to build equity in their entrances, because with that instant WOO or BOO hit, it can feel a little muted and bewildering.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

One small thing I’d do if I was them is create Spotify/YouTube/wherever playlists of the biggest stars entrance themes and actively promote it.

They need to build equity in their entrances, because with that instant WOO or BOO hit, it can feel a little muted and bewildering.

They need a proper Youtube channel. They have 2 or 3 now all posting different stuff, and fans posting the rest. Maddening trying to find clips or buildup.