AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Absolutely laughable to call this an alternative to WWE

You didn't like it. Fine. But behave yourself. Despite all the doom mongering and the rush to doubt everything, they've delivered a PPV, a big time TV deal in the US and a prime spot in the UK and top names from NJPW and WWE on contracts.

They've delivered a show that almost everyone is checking out and talking about and they used it to effectively set up the next one.

I've got the same criticisms as most about them at this point but to suggest with their roster, deals and ambition that they're not a viable alternative is crazy at this point.

It is an alternative to wwe. But it’s the same as all the other alternatives. They’ve just got more money and a better tv deal. They did nothing last night I haven’t seen a thousand times before. Well, except the shitty battle royal.

Despite that, I really enjoyed the show and the Rhodes boys had the best match I’ve seen in ages. Tremendous. 

It’s not an alternative to WWE, based on one show it’s WWE lite. Nothing I saw said “Alternative”. It’s another choice to watch but alternative to me means something different from what the mainstream offers. This didn’t offer something different. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

There's an entire industry out there. That's an obstacle in itself. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and believe that a couple of decent shows makes for a sustainable brand or anything like that. The real question is TV. That's where the real battle begins. Give that a while and we'll have a far better idea of what they're capable of, what they really are and more than anything what they're actually 'changing' in this industry. 

If they can sustain the success they've had so far - and I hope they do - then the game is afoot.

I was talking generally about running future shows. They're booking themselves in their own feuds and matches, so apart from production issues, the real enemy they're going to be fighting in order to stay afloat is their own egos.

Oh, as an indy wanker, there was so much rewarding detail in this show. Orange Cassidy getting his shine, the Young Bucks paying tribute to their past rivals, the incredible journey of Dustin Thomas and the Super Smash Bros making their surprise debut.

Also, that crowd really showed themselves up with the subdued reaction to SSB. You'd think a crowd like that would know who they are, when in reality most of them still hate-watch RAW for three hours a week whilst torrenting the New Japan main events. Disappointing behaviour, but not surprising.

• Paid Members

Only caught the last half of the Battle Royale on the pre-show so I can’t comment on the PPV overall. One thing that really stuck out was for all of the upside to ‘Hangman’ Page, it was ridiculous that he had been selling the knee since entering the ring, to only do a Prince Naz front flip over the ropes into a running lariat without once selling the leg. 

Luchasaurus has a tremendous look and as daft as that Orange Cassidy spot with Dreamer was, I actually really liked it.

what the fuck is with the librarians, though?

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It’s not an alternative to WWE, based on one show it’s WWE lite. Nothing I saw said “Alternative”. It’s another choice to watch but alternative to me means something different from what the mainstream offers. This didn’t offer something different. 

I don't think it was different enough but it certainly was in places. Cody and Dustin was as far from current WWE as you'll get.

Cede the point that it's similar to other "alternatives" but they're not in the position to sign Omega and Ambrose, run proper PPVs, get on ITV and TNT, etc. All this stuff people claimed AEW wouldn't do.

6 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Only caught the last half of the Battle Royale on the pre-show so I can’t comment on the PPV overall. One thing that really stuck out was for all of the upside to ‘Hangman’ Page, it was ridiculous that he had been selling the knee since entering the ring, to only do a Prince Naz front flip over the ropes into a running lariat without once selling the leg. 

Luchasaurus has a tremendous look and as daft as that Orange Cassidy spot with Dreamer was, I actually really liked it.

what the fuck is with the librarians, though?

You need to watch a YouTube show to get it apparently. 

25 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I assume it came as a perk of buying a ringside seat, but everyone on the hardcam having the same T-shirt on is why some are calling ARW a T-shirt company that put on a wrestling show

I think everyone in the front row worked for Pro Wrestling Tees

5 minutes ago, DCW said:

Noelle Foley was in the second or third row too I think. didn't spot that clown lad who's usually with her though.

I always assumed he paid her to pretend to be his girlfriend and now his parents have finally ran out of money.