AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Nick James said:

what the fuck is with the librarians, though?

Yeah, it's a running gag. Tony Khan apparently suggested to the Elite that he wanted to see a wrestling librarian. They did open auditions for fans, then decided they all sucked. Cody/Kenny and the Bucks then accidentally offered two people 'big money' contracts to play the librarian.

I like more of BTE than most, but this was a misfire and didn't work on the pre-show.

Just now, IANdrewDiceClay said:

BREAKING NEWS:

I have it on good authority that MPDTT was at White Hart Lane today, as my mate had a spare ticket going, and saw him and Porto midfielder Varela in the stands with his agent.

Fuck off......never would I set foot in that shithole. #standards #stadiumshapedlikeatoilet #wewontheleagueatwhitehartlane

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Well isn't that interesting!

OK, I watched it but I didn't watch the pre-show. 

SCU vs Strong Hearts. I've heard of everyone in SCU that's a start at least. I don't know any of the Japanese lads. This was alright at the start and then just become moves and moves and moves and I didn't care. Poor old JR doesn't sound like he has a clue what's going on. Did I hear right and that finisher is called Best Meltzer Ever? Just fuck off.

Should the women's match have been announced as a Triple Threat? Should be a three way dance shouldn't it? Anyway I didn't know any of this lot. Allie's said she's excited three times already and the match hasn't started. Oh I know Awesome Kong, so there is that. The commentary is fucking AWFUL. Kong has spent almost this entire match outside the ring. Probably for the best, she was absolutely miles off the pace. Kylie Rae seemed the best one here, this was a decent match.

Another tag match. Is this Chuck Taylor the one who used to scare kids at shows? Oh fuck it's Jack Evans. He still dresses in the dark. This was an awful match. Just loads of moves and just fucking shit. I think Angelico was even worse than Evans tbh. Then the lights go off and some guys are in the ring and nobody knows who they are and why should I care.

Japanese 6 woman tag now and I've actually heard of Aja Kong but nobody else. Kong looks like she's eating her lunch on the way to the ring. Hikaru Shida seems nice. Actually, maybe Kong was eating bread out of the bread bin she brought to the ring. Someone's rung the bell too early, Christ almighty. Lots of moves again, blah.

The only match I cared about now. Oh Cody. The throne. How small time. And the sledgehammer. Dearie me. A fantastic match though even if the ending felt a bit flat and Cross Rhodes is still a terrible finisher.

Jack Whitehall?! presents Bret Hart! What is happening?! What the fuck is Jack Whitehall doing there?! Then there's a bunch of guys out and I don't care what's happening.

God I fucking hate The Young Bucks. I don't know who the Lucha Brothers are. Why are they wrestling for another promotion's tag team titles? MOVES then a bit in the middle where it resembled an actual wrestling match and then just loads more fucking MOVES. Hated almost every minute of this, all 709 of them.

So it's time for Home Bargains Buddy Murphy vs what appears to be someone who got lost on their way to the Download Festival. This is the first Omega match I've watched since he wrestled a 9 year old girl or whatever. Why was there a fucking barrel in the ring? This was a good match but it was TOO LONG. Dean Ambrose then came out to the surprise of no-one.

So, three good matches and the rest was awful. Absolutely laughable to call this an alternative to WWE or anything for that matter. If you like it, fine. But don't call it what it isn't. It isn't a game changer, it's not going to have WWE shitting themselves. It's just another 2010s wrestling promotion. No more for me, ta.

I'm going to watch Tremors 6 now.

Without being rude if you didn't know half the people and you don't like 'MOVEZ' then why watch it in the first place? Just to moan about it? 

You know the likes of Bucks are spot monkeys. You aren't going to get 'classic' matches with psychology for the most part. That is not the style they are catering for. 

Just sound like you want to moan for the sake of it. In which case I would stick to watching NWA circa 1980s.

• Paid Members

It’s a credible alternative. Whether the wrestling was for you or not, and some of it was very indyrific, the production values were the closest in terms of looking comparable to WWE. TNA never looked this good.

the crowd were decent and didn’t seem to spend the night trying to get themselves over.

the main event was decent. The reveal gave the fans what they wanted.

JR was the best I’ve heard him be in years. That NFL bloke Alex was the absolute worst I’ve ever heard. He needs to go.

All in all, a solid 7. For a first PPV I thought they did a great job, but still lots of room for improvement. And that pre show was fucking awful.

finally, nice to see Daisy Dare make an appearance. Wondered what she’d been up to see Zzzap finishedCp2IOA0XgAA7XQg.jpg 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Without being rude if you didn't know half the people and you don't like 'MOVEZ' then why watch it in the first place? Just to moan about it? 

You know the likes of Bucks are spot monkeys. You aren't going to get 'classic' matches with psychology for the most part. That is not the style they are catering for. 

Just sound like you want to moan for the sake of it. In which case I would stick to watching NWA circa 1980s.

FYI.

4 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

The word on the street before the show was that this promotion was going to do realistic, credible wrestling, so he may have been curious to see what The Young Bucks doing that would be like. But then on the night it was baby oil, smoking fags in the ring, 22 men in a 21-man battle royal, shushing librarians, and everyone doing the same act they do already on the indies.

17 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

That's bollocks.  If the only people who watched this are people already familiar with all the wrestlers then it'll be a massive failure.  It relied on the hype around it and people being curious and give it a go.  They needed to put on a great show and they did, but they didn't do enough to explain who a lot of the wrestlers are.  Also, the pre show was pretty rubbish.  Just a bunch of people in the battle royal with no attempt to tell us who they are.  Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people didn't bother ordering after seeing the Battle Royal.

Also, I read (who knows if it's true) that the YouTube viewership dropped by 6,000 almost immediately after that librarian crap, so a load of people after seeing that, decided they didn't fancy the Sammy/Kip match.

1 minute ago, The Dart said:

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people didn't bother ordering after seeing the Battle Royal.

I'd be surprised is anyone watched that and thought "Ooh, I'll splash out on this".