AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

• Paid Members

19 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

The word on the street before the show was that this promotion was going to do realistic, credible wrestling, so he may have been curious to see what The Young Bucks doing that would be like. But then on the night it was baby oil, smoking fags in the ring, 22 men in a 21-man battle royal, shushing librarians, and everyone doing the same act they do already on the indies.

Nah, it was entirely predictable. Let's not pretend it was going to be anything else.

That doesn't matter though. It's great that everyone is having a look. It needed something interesting to happen and this has been. The debate is healthy. 

I watched it and I wasn't expecting to like it. 

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, King of Hamptons said:

20190526_214311_zpsra8wdlrm.jpg

Fuck..... 

Hope nobody’s eating a jam sandwich and coming into this thread. 

Seriously, that’s ridiculous. Makes Austin at WrestleMania 13 look like he nicked himself shaving. He really went for it didn’t he? Probably the worst I’ve seen since Eddie Guerrero’s against JBL all those years ago. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

I'd be surprised is anyone watched that and thought "Ooh, I'll splash out on this".

More likely to have made people who were already buying give it a miss. 

Definitely the first thing to improve. Seems unanimous the reaction to it.

33 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

The word on the street before the show was that this promotion was going to do realistic, credible wrestling, so he may have been curious to see what The Young Bucks doing that would be like. But then on the night it was baby oil, smoking fags in the ring, 22 men in a 21-man battle royal, shushing librarians, and everyone doing the same act they do already on the indies.

'Word on the street'? Who said anything like that? Maybe assumptions but doesn't make it any more true. Anyone who thinks the Bucks were going to do anything different to what got them their names is a fuckin idiot.

Shock horror, an act doing the same thing that got them a contract!! What do you expect? Them to get a contract and then change their whole schtick? No that's not how it works. That's like booking a band and then complaining that they play the same genre they have for years... Nonsense. 

Edited by Michael_3165
stupids

26 minutes ago, The Dart said:

Also, I read (who knows if it's true) that the YouTube viewership dropped by 6,000 almost immediately after that librarian crap, so a load of people after seeing that, decided they didn't fancy the Sammy/Kip match.

It wouldn't surprise me if that were true, segments based on in-jokes that only a niche audience get when you are trying to appeal to a larger audience unfamiliar with your product is not the way to go in my opinion.

Just got through watching. Thought it was an excellent show which ticked every box, and set up logical, exciting outcomes for the future. A great start for them. Obviously, it's very unlikely every "big show" they do like this comes with the emotional factor, the long build, and the surrounding hype as their "first ever show" but they're really off on the right foot. I also liked that they included far more on this show in comparison to All In which would appeal to a casual fan, in the sense of both variety and the clear presentation of the show.

I didn't watch the pre-show so can't really comment, but haven't seen many good things said about it. Hopefully it's a learning curve for them. 

They absolutely nailed Cody/Dustin. Dustin is such a treasure. They really gave the impression of this being a "big-match" feel which is something they've been able to do consistently with Cody for this match and his match with Aldis. He mightn't be the best worker in the world, but he doesn't need to be when the company can create an environment and atmosphere as they did last night. Brilliant post-match angle as well to round it off and set something up for their next show.

Omega/Jericho was a lot of fun. Preferred their WK12 match, but that's probably got a lot to do with the situation surrounding that match as opposed to the in-ring work. Omega looks like he's benefited from taking an extended break from wrestling in terms of freshness and physicality and Jericho is obviously having the time of his life. It was smart to have Jericho get on the mic and to debut Moxley after this as well to stop the crowd from going home deflated. Moxley/Omega doesn't sound that appealing at the moment, but I'm sure by the time it comes around they'll have made it feel like a huge deal. Even moreso if they've got television to promote it. Moxley could be huge for them if he's booked correctly. 

I really like the idea of Jericho vs Hangman. Page has done well to flesh out his character a lot more and I don't just see him as being someone who tailgates off the back of the Elite anymore. I'm not sure why this match is doing so much for me, but it is. Good stuff.

Everything else was good. Nothing felt like filler and everything served a purpose. Hopefully with television they can help to cross bridges between some of the stuff formed through BTE and the casual fans, as that's a big aspect I noticed throughout the show. Great foundations.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I recognised Blue Pants, who was the bloke?

Peter Avalon. He had a brief stint in TNA as one of the jobbers EC3 beat repeatedly when he first debuted. Other than that he is/was a top guy in Championship Wrestling from Hollywood.

Impression I'm getting is that people at the show either enjoyed or didn't outright hate the pre-show. People watching online, TV, etc. mostly hated it.

Definitely need to change it up for the next show. Those at the arena don't need to be convinced to part with their cash.

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Will you be posting all your pics from the event etc MPDTT? You must have loads!

I'll post some. What's the easiest way? You can't simply upload them.

I really enjoyed Rhodes v Rhodes, Young Bucks v Lucha Bros and the Main Event.

It showed to me that it is time for Vince to finally let go and give his family full control. With WWE sliding downwards in terms of ratings and low morale for talent, perhaps because AEW can't match the WWE financially, the best way to compete is "star power". The return of CM Punk could really put the cat amongst the pigeons?

3 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

I'll post some. What's the easiest way? You can't simply upload them.

If i were you, i would not feel compelled to prove you attended the show on here.

If however you have some decent photos, then by all means share your experience with the UKFF.