AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

5 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Ian I think it depends on the price charged though. I always try to pay for stuff if I want to watch it and the value proposition is there. And I wanted to watch the AEW show. £15 was a fair price so I paid it. But if they started charging US prices of 40, 50, 60 quid, there’s no way I’m paying it. I’d illegally stream it instead. But I would pay at a better perceived value point. So they’ve lost money from me there. I get your point, but I think that if stealing wasn’t an option more people would pay but the total number of viewers would definitely be down. 

This is a decent point.

The basic value calculation should be CONTENT versus PRICE.

Illegal streaming debases, subconsciously perhaps, the ability for many to make that calculation. If you know something will be available for free, the actual amount you’d be willing to pay for it decreases naturally.

It’s not as simple as all people illegally streaming instinctively, it’s that their value perception has been completely warped.

16 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Great point. AEW will need a streaming service in the medium term.

Is there enough content for that?  We're lucky that we'll have the ITV coverage and I imagine for 15 quid, many viewers will shell out for PPVs as it represents good value, plus it's a company and individuals that fans want to support.  Plus they have a passionate backer who knows he'll be taking a hit and running at a loss to begin with so they have a solid foundation to build on.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Honestly, I'm quite surprised at these remarks and the reaction from the crowd. They were an incredibly hot prospect during 2010-2013, and that's when they had that VISA snaffu and got barred from performing in North America for five years. They've changed their look to match the new heel personas, but Evil Uno (the big lad) has been back in America for a while now and he even did some more work in the world's most popular indy, PWG. I think he even did a slew of UK shows. 

This how they looked back when they were poised to takeover the world, right before the VISA issue, so it might be a bit more recognizable to some;

?format=1500w

I do find it shocking that the live crowd just forgot about them like that

From the looks of them, maybe the crowd just wanted to forget about them. Look at the state of it.

11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is there enough content for that?  We're lucky that we'll have the ITV coverage and I imagine for 15 quid, many viewers will shell out for PPVs as it represents good value, plus it's a company and individuals that fans want to support.  Plus they have a passionate backer who knows he'll be taking a hit and running at a loss to begin with so they have a solid foundation to build on.

Agreed. That's why I said medium term, they probably need a year to develop a back catalogue of sorts.

A whatculture video on the show autoplayed this morning and they said that Big Dave has reported the PPV done 200k buys. That seems either way way to high, or a fucking amazing achievement in this steal for free era 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to illegally stream something, you would never pay for it to begin with. The TNA PPVs were all free over here anyway, but if I had to pay for them I simply wouldnt have watched them. How did they ever expect someone to pay $50 for those things? I gave my coin to ITV Box Office the other night, because it was conventient enough and I wanted to see it. I dont think AEW are missing out of any money with the streaming, because people who stream (myself included) arent going to pay for the things they are streaming.

Its like RF Video and Kayfabe Commentaries. I've watched loads of them over the years, but I can honestly say I'm amazed at anyone who pays for those fucking things. They arent worth. Highspots is about 7 quid a month and you get the lot. That's how it should be. Paying 15 quid for Luke Bushwhacker to fantasy book? Fuck off.

In wrestling terms, I completely agree. I was never going to pay to watch this. But I have paid for the odd YouShoot that I really wanted to see. That being said, if I could find them for nothing, I would. I always look to see if I can find something for free and if I can't, I'll pay for it.

1 minute ago, Louch said:

A whatculture video on the show autoplayed this morning and they said that Big Dave has reported the PPV done 200k buys. That seems either way way to high, or a fucking amazing achievement in this steal for free era 

Yeah I don’t think he said that. He said it did better than all in which was 55k. I think the 200k is from google trends. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

From the looks of them, maybe the crowd just wanted to forget about them. Look at the state of it.

I know it's not your bag Dev, but trust me that these two were over like rover. They really hit on something during that stint and they had an infectious energy to them. Top dog babyfaces that everyone rooted for. I'm both gutted for their muted re-introduction and excited for what they are going to do to make a name for themselves now.

1 minute ago, Yakashi said:

Yeah I don’t think he said that. He said it did better than all in which was 55k. I think the 200k is from google trends. 

All In was always going to be a skewered number though in terms of PPV buys because they had it on NJPW World and ROH's streaming service for a fraction of the price. 200k would be an incredible number for them.

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Agreed. That's why I said medium term, they probably need a year to develop a back catalogue of sorts.

They are going to need longer than that. TV doesn't start until October and that is 4 months away at least. When is the next PPV, when are they running shows. The real test will be what sort of crowd will they get when they can't rely on a big fly in crowd. All those things need to be answered before a streaming service is even thought about. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Accident Prone said:

I know it's not your bag Dev, but trust me that these two were over like rover. They really hit on something during that stint and they had an infectious energy to them. Top dog babyfaces that everyone rooted for. 

This may or may not be true but look at the state of them. It's bad enough AEW has got Jack Evans and friend dressed like they've been thrown out of a post-Madchester rave, they actually need to look the part too. Almost everyone scrubbed up pretty well on the main show, and as ridiculous as I thought he looked, at least even Jericho made the effort to be aesthetically interesting. AEW won't do itself any favours leaving spots open for 10 stone The Hurricane cosplayers.

Also, some people stream things because they just can not afford it, and aren’t in a position to pay £15 for it.

Just like with music, I’ll stream something but if I’m in a position where I can pay and buy it, I will.

But it’s not always as simple as people being “content thieves” or not wanting to support a small business.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This may or may not be true but look at the state of them. It's bad enough AEW has got Jack Evans and friend dressed like they've been thrown out of a post-Madchester rave, they actually need to look the part too. Almost everyone scrubbed up pretty well on the main show, and as ridiculous as I thought he looked, at least even Jericho made the effort to be aesthetically interesting. AEW won't do itself any favours leaving spots open for 10 stone The Hurricane cosplayers.

I tend to associate green and black with X-Pac but whatever floats your boat. Also, that photo is from their babyface run, their new gear is what you saw during the post-match.

'Scrubbing up' doesn't really fit the SSB motif during this heel phase. Even then, Stu Grayson is in fantastic shape and Evil Uno looks like a barrel-chested psycho.

You need variety on a wrestling show, and that means a variety of body types plus colourful and outlandish costumes. They're perfect for that.