AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

42 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Im not holier than thou. Piracy is what it is. I've done it like everyone else. But I'll pay if I can and especially if it's a niche product that relies on the money.

Glad you agree with me about watching wrestling you're not fussed with, to see the good bits. 

Also glad you stream wrestling too. Next time ur stealing ur Toblerone from the shop get me a Curly Wurly. Just make sure it's a superstore you're stealing from and not a niche shop that needs the money. I got a conscience Ricky. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Philjax said:

Well, I thought the whole show was utterly superb and well worth my 15 quid on Sunday afternoon. I even enjoyed the pre-show. They'll get plenty of my money.....

Did you enjoy Jericho's Chris Benoit pants?

• Paid Members
On 5/26/2019 at 1:15 PM, Mr Kennedy said:

Huge fan of Omega imitating one of my favourite ever gifs btw...

thumbs ok GIF

Couldn't disagree more. On a pre-show that was jam packed with amateur bullshit that actively turned me off as a viewer, that moment may have been the worst. One half of your main event and he's recreating memes like a comedy geek. Wow. Two years down the line when he's established as a big star would be one thing. On your very first show though? In fact, the very first time a large portion of viewers will see him? Fucking hell. Terrible.

The pre-show was so bad that it took me until today to muster the energy to watch the PPV. Thank fuck I did though because you'd never believe that the same company who produced that dogshit Battle Royal produced the Cody vs. Dustin match a few hours later. Absolutely phenomenal. Genuinely happy for both guys. They wanted to do that match properly for years and when they finally got the chance they hit a home run. Actual tears when Cody's voice broke saying, "older brother," at the end. This was the business. Match of the Year candidate. Can't wait to see them tag together. Lovely stuff. Dustin is the fucking man.

Overall the show was definitely a (LOL Brent Rambo~!) thumbs up, but as others have already discussed there are big production and commentary issues that they need to iron out going forward. First and foremost, immediately put Alex Marvez in the bin. Miserable, droning, boring prick, he added absolutely nothing worthwhile and only hindered what has the potential to be quite a fun duo if JR and Excalibur are allowed to carry on as a two-man team. I'd not heard much of Excalibur before but it felt like he carried JR to what was easily Jim's best performance in years. Every time Ross commentated on New Japan, him and Josh Barnett sounded like a pair of bored, grumbling old men. Here though, it felt like Excalibur made Jim cheer up, enjoy himself and get far more into it. Of course, there's no denying Jim is miles past his best, but still. For those big moments he proved he still had it. There was a shot right at the very end, of Moxley grinning as he sat on the poker chips, the crowd going apeshit, and Jim called it beautifully with an, "OOOOoooooh what a moment!" When it's good it's fucking great. Seems JR has more left in the tank than I originally believed.

Speaking of the chips, I liked that they actually made a set that fit with the theme of the show. Hopefully that continues. Really sets them apart from WWE having the same entrance and big screens for every show. The replays of all the big moves after every match was cool as well. If guys are going to go out there and fucking kill themselves, Omega being the perfect example, the least you can do is show replays to get the most out of it.

Moxley's debut had me grinning like a dickhead. Much in the same way that I was left genuinely happy for Cody and Dustin, it was the same thing here. What a difference six months makes. From arse injections and sniffing handkerchiefs to one of the hottest guys in the business, looking to be having the time of his life. I'm super excited to see what Jon can do without a WWE script. More than almost anyone, he forever felt like obvious, wasted potential. I always think back to that first feud with Seth and how white hot he was. When he got out of that taxi that time and it was like Stone Cold in 1998 had turned up. It always broke my heart that they were so hell-bent on strapping the rocket to Roman instead. Fingers crossed for his future. 

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but I thought the Young Bucks match was a blast and Rey Fenix rocks my world with all those elaborate spots he does on the ropes. Are the Lucha Bros signed full-time? I blood hope so!

MJF was a revelation in his promo on the main show. For the longest time I've thought he was nowhere near as good as he or his peers thought he was, but when he joked about a fan attacking Bret? Fantastic. Positioning Hangman Page and MJF as the rising stars, similar to The Rock and Triple H in 1997 and 1998, seems the perfect approach. Both guys could become huge.

I'm in two minds about the throne thing. Personally, I think it's embarrassingly small time, but you know what? The crowd loved it. And in this climate that's more important than ever. WWE have done an incredible job these past few years of positioning the company itself as the heel antagonising the fans. Even when Vince gives the people what they want, like with Becky and Kofi at Wrestlemania, it's only after months of dicking around and trolling the fans. Now more than ever there's a huge opportunity for AEW to position themselves as the babyface, a promotion who's on the same side as the fans, ideally without a heel authority figure or someone like Baron Corbin stinking up every show because they think, "oh, just fuck off," heat is the same as proper heel heat. It's early days, but based on this one show AEW are giving the fans what they want and in turn the fans are holding up their end of the bargain by being rabid all night long. Not a shitty chant all night, hot for everything and seeing people literally jumping for joy when Moxley came through the crowd was brilliant.

Similarly, I don't think enough is being made about how progressively they're handling the media. Check out this video from after the event.

How fucking fresh does that feel? The head of the company immediately fielding open questions from the press and gushing about his show and performers. Imagine Vince ever doing something like that. There's no way he could be trusted. He'd be picking fights with reporters, bitching about the matches and saying questionable remarks that land them in hot water. We'll have to wait and see how things might change if AEW start getting more criticism from the press, but for now I think they're playing a blinder here by simply acting like normal human beings and treating pro-wrestling for what it is; a show you're putting on to entertain fans and make money. You don't have to be all secretive and weird about kayfabe anymore. It's 2019. The more Tony and Cody do stuff like this the more it's going to really emphasise the difference between them and the weirdos in Stamford, which can only be a good thing.

So yeah, good show overall. I'm optimistic about the TV show starting and I can't wait to see Moxley mixing it up with fresh opponents.

But yeah. Alex Marvez and whoever the director was. Emergency meetings required for both.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Honestly no idea why anyone would think the Brent Rambo bit was bad coming from Kenny Omega. I've admittedly only seen little bits here and there of him but this is the guy that comes out to Mega Man and Undertale Remixes, cosplays Anime during his entrance, plays video games on Youtube with New Day, has a finisher named after a Final Fantasy 7 song and is obviously a massive dork.
That's just who Kenny Omega is from what I know of him so it didn't feel out of place for me at all. It matched the personality I already knew and expected from him. A geek who doesn't hide it but can go in the ring.

• Paid Members

Steve Austin is a really funny guy. His comedy angles were some of the best the WWE ever produced. He didn't do them until he was solidified as a top guy though because if he was wearing cowboy hats and playing the guitar in 1997 he'd have never became the huge star we remember today.

4 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Kenny's already a star to their core audience and enough mildly interested outsiders, though. Being an out nerd is part of the shtick. 

If they only cater to the core audience, they’ll wither though. AEW can’t just be fan service to the people who got them here. For it to work, it has to break out into something bigger and better.

While the Moxley stuff does interest me, mostly because I think a non PG environment will give him a real fresh start, I'm really hoping they don't pick up too many ex WWE guys. I'm way more interested in seeing guys that haven't taken the WWE path, whether it's popular Indy guys or ones that aren't that far in their careers yet etc. Last thing I want to be feeling at the end of the year is that I'm just watching a shorter version of Raw with a few AEW wrestlers thrown in.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'm a mildly interested outsider, and he isn't a star to me. Didn't see the pre-show silliness, but when Omega walked out for that main event my main thought was that he doesn't look or carry himself like a big star. 

Fair enough, I count myself as a mildly interested outsider having only seen about two Omega matches and I would consider him to have star quality.