AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

• Paid Members

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's what they did with Dustin "No Legs," Thomas at Spring Break 3. If you haven't the time to watch the whole thing, the fun really begins at 03:00 when he starts fighting back.

So much better than just opening the show with him already in the ring and then acting like it's no big deal when a man with no fucking legs starts hitting high spots in a Battle Royal. The moment I saw this, I expected either AEW or WWE to rush to bring him in and do a repeat of the angle on TV. It's such simple storytelling, get a heel to berate him, surprise everyone with the amazing moves, let the heel sell for a bit, then get the heat back at the end when the big, two-legged baddie beats the disabled fella. MJF would've been the perfect guy to put in that spot on AEW TV. Such a waste.

Edited by Supremo

16 minutes ago, Supremo said:

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's what they did with Dustin "No Legs," Thomas at Spring Break 3. If you haven't the time to watch the whole thing, the fun really begins at 03:00 when he starts fighting back.

So much better than just opening the show with him already in the ring and then acting like it's no big deal when he a man with no fucking legs starts hitting high spots in a Battle Royal. The moment I saw this, I expected either AEW or WWE to rush to bring him in and do a repeat of the angle on TV. It's such simple storytelling, get a heel to berate him, surprise everyone with the amazing moves, let the heel sell for a bit, then get the heat back at the end when the big, two-legged baddie beats the disabled fella. MJF would've been the perfect guy to put in that spot on AEW TV. Such a waste.

I think AEW just want to pretend that everyone is the same so it doesn’t come off like they’re exploiting or using things like that as PR. They’re all about inclusivity. So they never tell you about the transgender lady. And they don’t have a heel make fun of the guy with no legs. It is a shame because, as long as the story is right, those things can be used really well to have the heroic babyface do awesome things within the story. 

WWE would fuck it up. But I’d trust these guys to at least give it a shot. 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Supremo said:

So much better than just opening the show with him already in the ring and then acting like it's no big deal when he a man with no fucking legs starts hitting high spots in a Battle Royal. The moment I saw this, I expected either AEW or WWE to rush to bring him in and do a repeat of the angle on TV. It's such simple storytelling, get a heel to berate him, surprise everyone with the amazing moves, let the heel sell for a bit, then get the heat back at the end when the big, two-legged baddie beats the disabled fella. MJF would've been the perfect guy to put in that spot on AEW TV. Such a waste.

Absolutely spot on this. There's 13,000 people in that building and loads watching on PPV. Nobody was going to give them shit if they just repeated this angle from Spring Break. No way should he have been in the ring working a match, with no notice. MJF could have slagged him off during that Bret belt reveal, and he could have dragged him in the ring and No Legs could have done his greatest hits on him. The place would have went mental.

• Paid Members
On 5/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, LEGIT said:

I just assumed part 6 of any film franchise would be bad 

The best Friday the 13th and Fast and Furious are the 6th ones.

I enjoyed the show but it really could've done with a massive or super muscly bloke on it, I would've killed for a Ryback squash or something.

Loved the lady dressed as Freddie Mercury and Jon Moxley, I'm not normally one to be desperate to see recent WWE cast offs but I've always liked moxley and he seems like the type they should be going for.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

image.thumb.png.cbd15fc7856121540c17fdc4b8a07bc1.png

Oh, God. Seems early to have a lad die on one of your shows, but then maybe best to let Joey kill himself before you get regular live TV, at which point he becomes a liability.

Regarding the inclusivity thing with Dustin Thomas, I completely get it and I do think it’s great for them to be so progressive. Great for PR, too. Cody has already been getting press when talking about how race won’t play a factor in AEW, wrestlers are wrestlers regardless, but surely this is the exception? He’s got no fucking legs! In fact, I think acting like a bloke sans legs hitting 619s and 450s is no big deal is a genuine disservice to the lad. It’s impressive as fuck and should be highlighted.

If you must, I can understand not going as far as to plant him in the crowd as a fan so as to not be perceived as exploitative, but if I’m in charge? I’m ripping off that Spring Break angle as much as humanly possible. In fact, I’m replacing that forgettable singles match on the pre-show with it. MJF comes out for the final segment, gets in the lads face, he hits all the crazy spots, sends MJF packing and then the Elite lads come out and celebrate with him as the crowd go bananas. Something mad like that is exactly what they needed. I’d have paid in an instant if they went to the PPV with something like that.

Or, you know, just do a Brent Rambo thumbs up. That’ll get people buying.

Edited by Supremo

Would it be ruined if they hold off things like that until the TV show? They don't have to make him a plant just get him out in the ring on some pretense and then go from there. I feel like the first few PPV's and in-between shows (not sure how they are being broadcast) are helping to get a bit of buzz, some footage to use as highlights and something for the more enthusiastic fans to sink their teeth into until October. i'm not expecting masses of serious story telling until the TV starts to be honest. 

• Paid Members

Imagine the reaction if they ripped off an angle from another show. There are already people crying that they're not an alternative because they are using a ring and ropes and moves and all that stuff is already in WWE.