AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'm a mildly interested outsider, and he isn't a star to me. Didn't see the pre-show silliness, but when Omega walked out for that main event my main thought was that he doesn't look or carry himself like a big star. 

Barring the sledgehammer bollocks before hand Cody actually did look like a star though which is weird saying 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I'm another who hasn't seen much of Omega but the nerdy stuff is very obviously a big part of him.

The Steve Austin comedy comparison isn't wholly accurate. I mean, it is for Steve Austin but others in that era like Rock and Foley were legit main eventers while being funny first. There's no hard and fast rule.

Going back to a few posts previous. You can't blame them for coming across as WWE Lite. It's their first big show, they're going to be using to it to try and attract the right attention and be as approachable to sponsors as possible. 

I know us real dammit fans want a true alternative more than anything - and we can hardly be blamed for that having had an industry dominated by one company for just shy of 20 years. 

But they're still in the early days - WWE spend a shit load on working out what is best for their audience (lol) and advertisers. For the owners (I don't know who they are, I haven't followed it much), they're getting their product likened to the current market leader. 

If they're going to become an alternative then it will take time. We've all seen what happens to other companies that come out the gates trying to be anti-WWE. 

Just give them time. 

Edited by Undefeated Steak

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Mike Kanelis is the last guy I’d want to sign. Feels like a WWE reject and doesn’t seem to have much potential. 

Frankly, Maria isn’t worth it.

It's one of those. If he goes back to ROH he was a top guy there at the time and they can instantly build on something with him and the Kingdom/Taven. 

If he goes to AEW he's in the Spears role where he'll get a promising start based off name value and being able to attach that a casual wrestling fan may know him (Or Maria really) but once they start building their own names up probably drop into the background. 

Essentially the Jerry Lynn's of early days TNA. 

• Paid Members

The thing AEW could do without doing now, is hoovering up any old shitearse from WWE like Mike Kannelis. The attraction for me currently, is AEW is completely new to me, bar Cody etc. TNA made those mistakes, and yes, some paid off (Christian for example) and a lot didn’t. 

Finally caught a highlights show on YouTube and really liked what I saw. I didn’t expect to as I’ve never been into the indies (ROH, PWG etc.) and haven’t watched any NJPW, however it really did feel fresh. It was a huge surprise to enjoy what I saw so much, following the pre-show nonsense.

Tony Khan is such a likeable guy and it’s nice for an owner to not put the focus on themselves, hopefully it stays that way. Especially without the authority figure.

They’ve launched this at the best time possible, when WWE is at, what seems to be, it’s lowest with fans and apathy is rife.

Good luck to them.

To be honest, I think Cody is the only person in AEW that does look and carry himself like a star. 

Omega needs to ditch the shitty Japanese video game cosplay. He looks ridiculous coming out for huge matches dressed like a geek at comic con. But he’s a proven draw so wtf do I know. 

Edited by Yakashi

• Paid Members

Moxley's on Jericho's podcast on Wednesday. Should be interesting.

Joey Janela vs. Jon Moxley sounds fucking terrifying though. Janela is going to die live on PPV one day and it won't even be for a spot the directors catch.

As others have said they need to steer clear of former WWE talent for two reasons... 

1) Make the WWE guys they do get have some meaning. Ex WWE doesn't equal money otherwise WWE wouldn't be in the position they are in ratings wise. 

2) If you add merit to WWE guys you may push talent to that company. Get people who are good and can be developed in house.