AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

39 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I didn’t know until now what SSB stood for, and I still don’t know who it’s referring to. The team that appeared after the lights went out?

Yup the two random guys with the minions

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Louch said:

I’d say I’m decently knowledgable on wrestling, and I had no idea who the Super Smash Bros where. They haven’t had any hype on the build up videos either, so im not surprised they got the wet fart reaction. 

1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

I agree, they had all 5 second part reveal on BTE about a month ago, and if it were not for that, I wouldn't have known who they were either. this was the only confusing aspect of the show and in general everyone around me didn't know them either.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised at these remarks and the reaction from the crowd. They were an incredibly hot prospect during 2010-2013, and that's when they had that VISA snaffu and got barred from performing in North America for five years. They've changed their look to match the new heel personas, but Evil Uno (the big lad) has been back in America for a while now and he even did some more work in the world's most popular indy, PWG. I think he even did a slew of UK shows. 

This how they looked back when they were poised to takeover the world, right before the VISA issue, so it might be a bit more recognizable to some;

?format=1500w

I do find it shocking that the live crowd just forgot about them like that, but then again I don't think the crowd is made up of folk like me who watched (and still watch) all these different promotions. The AEW aspect of appealing mainly to casual/lapsed fans must've worked as other, more indy-riffic forums and Twitter bubbles were going nuts over the reveal.

There's also moments like the Young Bucks doing the MCMG pose and doing their finisher, and Matt doing the Braaaaiiinnnbuussttaahh! I don't think the people in the building understood the importance of those, but luckily Excalibur was quick to explain.

Edited by Accident Prone

17 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Honestly, I'm quite surprised at these remarks and the reaction from the crowd. They were an incredibly hot prospect during 2010-2013, and that's when they had that VISA snaffu and got barred from performing in North America for five years. They've changed their look to match the new heel personas, but Evil Uno (the big lad) has been back in America for a while now and he even did some more work in the world's most popular indy, PWG. I think he even did a slew of UK shows. 

This how they looked back when they were poised to takeover the world, right before the VISA issue, so it might be a bit more recognizable to some;

?format=1500w

I do find it shocking that the live crowd just forgot about them like that, but then again I don't think the crowd is made up of folk like me who watched (and still watch) all these different promotions. The AEW aspect of appealing mainly to casual/lapsed fans must've worked as other, more indy-riffic forums and Twitter bubbles were going nuts over the reveal.

There's also moments like the Young Bucks doing the MCMG pose and doing their finisher, and Matt doing the Braaaaiiinnnbuussttaahh! I don't think the people in the building understood the importance of those, but luckily Excalibur was quick to explain.

Surely because most fans of The Elite will be familiar with their ROH and New Japan work, but less so PWG? I've never seen a PWG show myself.

17 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

?format=1500w

Hot where tho? 2010-2013 was pre most promotions getting shows online, and now knowing who they are I know their story from i think they were on Colts podcast. But everyone acting like Road Warriors appeared and got no reaction is getting carried away with how well known two guys popular in the indies 6 years ago are to a wider wrestling audience 

I made a guess at who they were when they appeared as I kinda recognised Evil Uno but I’ve only ever seen clips of them and not a full match.

Excalibur screaming I know who they are and then not saying who they were would have confused anyone watching.

32 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

?format=1500w

Jim Cornette will be laughing his ass off at nobody recognising the SSB.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, MPDTT said:

Surely because most fans of The Elite will be familiar with their ROH and New Japan work, but less so PWG? I've never seen a PWG show myself.

Well they've never worked New Japan and I think they've maybe had one or two dark matches with ROH back in the day? 

I've come to realise that when you say stuff like "fans of The Elite", it literally means fans of Cody, Omega and The Bucks. The core AEW fanbase is seemingly made up of people who watch a YouTube show and catch the matches/YouTube highlights of the Elite members. That's their wrestling in-take (along with watching RAW, of course).

It's really weird honestly, that there is this subset of fan who will watch a Young Bucks match but have probably never seen their incredible PWG run (and thus have never seen their feud with SSB). It's weird that they've never watched Kenny Omega's DDT work, or anything he did pre-Bullet Club, yet they all traveled to Las Vegas to watch his promotion.

9 minutes ago, Louch said:

Hot where tho? 2010-2013 was pre most promotions getting shows online, and now knowing who they are I know their story from i think they were on Colts podcast. But everyone acting like Road Warriors appeared and got no reaction is getting carried away with how well known two guys popular in the indies 6 years ago are to a wider wrestling audience 

I get your point, but I assumed that a show like Double Or Nothing would be filled to the brim with a live crowd who knew all this stuff. It's indy wrestling in an arena setting, so it had to appeal to indy crowd. It's like being at last years Spring Break show and everyone going nuts over Nate Webb and Nick Gage, whereas I don't think they'd get anywhere near that reception at an AEW event.

But after the SSB reveal and the lack of reaction, and my thought processes above, it's clear this fanbase isn't made up fans like myself. It really is made up of casuals, lapsed fans and people who religiously watch the matches of only a select group of people.

I don’t watch much US indies wise, never watched a pwg show, only seen ROH when new japan are involved. Powerslam used to be my gateway to wider indies knowledge. Seeing Bucks, Cody, hangman, Omega etc at Discovery wrestling got me into following them in other places, and watched new japan the last two years as a result. Went to an ROH show, but found the standard not much above what I see each week on UK scene and didn’t watch their shows. 

The Elites support is pretty sports team like, supported as a team of wrestlers than a promotion, the shirt buying, rabid fanbase. One thing from the weekend is that they need to expose more of the random names that pull out on shows. That’s why SCU got an Elite level reaction and the likes of SSB got nothing 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Louch said:

The Elites support is pretty sports team like, supported as a team of wrestlers than a promotion, the shirt buying, rabid fanbase. One thing from the weekend is that they need to expose more of the random names that pull out on shows. That’s why SCU got an Elite level reaction and the likes of SSB got nothing 

Couldn't agree more.

3 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Couldn't agree more.

Yes I agree, and that's the opportunity that they can now offer in their new roles at AEW. How often have they said they want to be an alternative and offer something for everybody? Both surely required that they build up talent from the indies to compliment the Elite and the few names known for working for WWE.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

?format=1500w

'The world's most popular Indy, PWG' really sums up how nothing the indy scene is. According to wiki, their biggest gate was 500 people?

AEW should be aiming mainstream. There's nothing wrong with bringing in more unknown talents, but if the assumption is that people remember what happened in Young Bucks feuds from six years ago, they're going to struggle.

In fact, as seen by the pre-show, if they assume running gags from their youtube show will work, they'll struggle. They either need to separate them or explain them.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Chris B said:

'The world's most popular Indy, PWG' really sums up how nothing the indy scene is. According to wiki, their biggest gate was 500 people?

To call the indy scene 'nothing' based off a fact like that is bit ignorant. 

A big part of the PWG appeal is the incredibly small venues they choose to use despite the amazing range of talent and big names working there. They could've packed out a 1000 seater, possible even 1500 and 2000 seat venues (maybe more? Who knows?), but they chose the same legion hall in Resada for every show during their 2009-2018 run in order to retain that exclusive feel. The ticket prices are high and the shows sold out in minutes, and they usually did so without even announcing a card before tickets went on sale.

Edited by Accident Prone
Being a bit of a dick in the last paragraph.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

To call the indy scene 'nothing' based off a fact like that is bit ignorant. 

A big part of the PWG appeal is the incredibly small venues they choose to use despite the amazing range of talent and big names working there. They could've packed out a 1000 seater, possible even 1500 and 2000 seat venues (maybe more? Who knows?), but they chose the same legion hall in Resada for every show during their 2009-2018 run in order to retain that exclusive feel. The ticket prices are high and the shows sold out in minutes, and they usually did so without even announcing a card before tickets went on sale.

Oh, that's why everyone recognised them. You're right.