AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Mr Kennedy said:

I agree that the battle royale was a bit ‘TNA Russo’ but the difference is that it would have main evented a TNA PPV. Here it was a bit of fun on the pre show, with a satisfactory outcome. 

That's a very good point, actually. If they're going to take risks with formats, best to try them out on the pre-show instead of trying them on the main show and risking people hating them.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

In fairness to Meltzer, Bleacher Report gave the Battle Royale an A rating. Process that.

I’ve see Robbie Mustoe and Warren Barton as pundits on their football coverage. They’re not the greatest for coverage of anything.

1 hour ago, RoryFice said:

Planet Meltzer. Odd place so it is.

Not had time to read the full review yet, and I knew I was in the minority not liking the show, but I'm genuinely surprised at the number of positive poll responses in the observer.

You shouldn't be. The AEW and Meltzer audience are practically identical.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

You shouldn't be. The AEW and Meltzer audience are practically identical.

Eh, that's not exactly fair. I'm not the biggest fan of Meltzer's current reporting, and his match ratings for AEW will have to be taken with a grain of salt, but generally speaking if Melzter rates a match highly then it's probably worth checking out no matter what kind of wrestling you like. As we've all ready dissected, the 'AEW audience' is a mixed bag of lapsed fans, casual fans and YouTube subscribers.

• Paid Members

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, really. Modern wrestling is more in line with Meltzer's tastes than wrestling has probably ever been before, and guys like Omega and the Bucks seem to consciously play to Meltzer at times, which only adds to that. Having six and seven star matches is part of Omega's brand, and he surely recognises that.

I don't even necessarily buy that Meltzer's working with AEW, so much as they're fleecing him for all they can get.

• Paid Members

Not sure how this is even a debate. Yeah, meltzer's star reviews are bollocks and should be ignored. But to pigeon hole fans because they responded positively to the show is absolute horseshit.

I don't watch the indies. I don't watch New Japan. I don't read Meltzer. I don't watch Being the Elite. I thought this show was a breathe of fresh air.

What pigeon hole do I fit in?

3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Not sure how this is even a debate. Yeah, meltzer's star reviews are bollocks and should be ignored. But to pigeon hole fans because they responded positively to the show is absolute horseshit.

I don't watch the indies. I don't watch New Japan. I don't read Meltzer. I don't watch Being the Elite. I thought this show was a breathe of fresh air.

the same one as me it would seem. don't take up all the space.

2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

You can come stand next to me if you like, although I'm afraid we might get picked on once or twice.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Double or Nothing did 98,000 buys

Is that altogether or in the US? Either way, it's an impressive number for a company with no TV presence. It is lower than the lowest WWE PPV's pre-network (114k was their low water mark in 2013) but way above TNA ever mamnaged (think 60,000 for Angle/Joe is still their record).

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Double or Nothing did 98,000 buys

Is that a good result? Or lower than expected? I guess it can't be too bad considering they don't have a TV show to actively promote the show.

Where does that sit against All In? of does the Fite TV thing make it hard to compare?

Edited by mim731
What Rick Said, more or less

• Paid Members

2/3 apparently came from the US with the $50 price tag. ECW's highest was apparently 99k buys so it's on par with the biggest non-WWE buyrate I think, and already higher than some of WCW's later efforts, ROH and TNA's highest.