The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

• Paid Members

I’m on the hunt for a new laptop for graphic design and video editing. My current one is 5 years old - it’s slow and Premiere Pro doesn’t support the graphics card any more.

I’m not particularly techie but I was told that this was really good for the price and that it’s 17” (I really need this screen size):

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-x712ea-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10226090-pdt.html

Typically it’s out of stock everywhere and I can’t really afford much more than this right now. I’ve been told that although it’s out of stock it will be back at some point but they have no idea when exactly. I love everything about this model plus the fact it comes with 0% interest for 24 months was a real selling point for me.

Can anyone recommend the same spec model where I might be able to get a similar deal?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Hi. I bought a tablet. A "Venturer" 10.1 incher. Has a wee keyboard and everything. One problem. Power seems to run out very quickly. Any ideas on how to fix it? I quite like it for the keyboard. Wouldn't want to simply not use it. Running Android 10.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

On 10/12/2021 at 6:29 PM, bAzTNM#1 said:

Hi. I bought a tablet. A "Venturer" 10.1 incher. Has a wee keyboard and everything. One problem. Power seems to run out very quickly. Any ideas on how to fix it? I quite like it for the keyboard. Wouldn't want to simply not use it. Running Android 10.

Is it brand new? The manufacturer website should tell you the expected battery life for your precise model. A quick google says it could be from 6-8 hours, so I’m guessing you’re not getting that. 

If you’re not using Bluetooth, you can try turning that off, and turning the brightness down on the screen, as that can bleed a lot of power. There could be some pre-installed crapware that’s using a lot of system resources, but it seems unlikely for Android. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005HP3OB0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ZVZJCD6SHDVHDA6VPSPT?psc=1

These are £30 so definitely pushing into pricey range, but they sound great and lasted me 18 months plus of constant use. I literally have them in 90% of the day including sleep. Not other earbuds have lasted longer that 6 months with the same use. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Not sure it's the best place but I'm after a CD player. Ideally it will also run vinyl and a hold multiple discs, but one or the other is fine.

What's best to look out for and what's best to avoid? Also where's best to get shit like that these days?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I bought myself a low spec gaming pc this year, because I've had to set up a "home office" on my writing bureau anyway and love old shit like C&C and theme hospital. 

It's proven more fun than I expected, and with a 360 controller I've replayed fallout NV & starting Fallout 3 and got XIII to play too. 

If I wanted to now up the spec to play some newer stuff how much effort is it to switch out the parts, specifically ram & graphics cards? Guides I've read suggest it's a simple job and is just plug & play or screwdriver only, is that correct or am I going to need to get my soldering iron out?