The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Best place for TVs? Nothing fancy, sub £200, 32 and above, smart connected.

Shall I just go to Argos?

Argos or Currys is usually my go-to really. Nothing much changed over the years. I generally do a price compare over Amazon but TVs in general aren't too much different across the board. Worth paying attention to specs though as a lot of brands take the piss for name value only.

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Argos or Currys is usually my go-to really. Nothing much changed over the years. I generally do a price compare over Amazon but TVs in general aren't too much different across the board. Worth paying attention to specs though as a lot of brands take the piss for name value only.

Not a fussy person for brands or whatever, and there seems to be only the difference of a tenner here and there between the shops. Might just be who can deliver quickest and cheapest as I am way too lazy to spend a week comparing.

• Paid Members

Speaking of TVs, does anyone know of a brand that has a decent responsive menu system? We've got an LG, and the layout is fine but it takes an age to do anything, I'm particular the TV guide is a massive chore. I never really see stuff like this mentioned in reviews. 

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Not a fussy person for brands or whatever, and there seems to be only the difference of a tenner here and there between the shops. Might just be who can deliver quickest and cheapest as I am way too lazy to spend a week comparing.

Pretty much how my shopping went for a 4k. My previous HD TV was an M&S own brand which lasted about 8 years. Went with a Hisense this time. I genuinely don't see much benefit to the bigger brands but hey some people like to splash out. I bought mine about 6 months ago now so it was very much who could actually deliver because it was a right ballache with stuff not being in stock etc. I'm assuming it'll be better now..

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 4:56 PM, gmoney said:

Speaking of TVs, does anyone know of a brand that has a decent responsive menu system? We've got an LG, and the layout is fine but it takes an age to do anything, I'm particular the TV guide is a massive chore. I never really see stuff like this mentioned in reviews. 

The more expensive LGs are much more responsive, it feels like such a bastard thing to cheap out on and isn’t conducive to getting repeat customers IMVHO.  I’ve got the absolute lowest end LG HD only bought in 2017 (prob the last line before everything went 4K as standard) and the interface is fucking abysmal. The TV and most of the apps we get through the Virgin box so it’s not so bad for us, but they recently ditched TiVo for some “Virgin 360” shite and it’s the most palpable downgrade of any interface imaginable. Wankers. 

Edited by hallicks

I got two biggish Samsung 4K smart telly’s and it’s the cheaper smaller of the two that’s much more responsive. It’s only a year newer too. It’s going to be my main defence when  I’m justifying the purchase of an LG OLED that we can’t afford at some point in the near future.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I got two biggish Samsung 4K smart telly’s and it’s the cheaper smaller of the two that’s much more responsive. It’s only a year newer too. It’s going to be my main defence when  I’m justifying the purchase of an LG OLED that we can’t afford at some point in the near future.

I got a LG OLED 48" at the start of the year and would usually feel bad spending as much as it was but 0 regrets. Do it. 

There's one on German Amazon, can't vouch for its effectiveness. For the same-ish price, there's this one on UK Amazon, which does Ethernet as well but I think you could just ignore it and it would still work.

You could try a slightly different approach for a bit cheaper, TB2 to USB-C adapter and then USB-C female to USB-A male adapter. As always with these things though, you never know if it'll do it properly until you've spent the money and got it in your hands.

Edited - the original C to A adapter was USB 2.0 only!

Edited by hallicks
USB 2.0

• 1 month later...

Anyone with an LG smart TV that's having issues with the apps? 

Mine started a couple of months ago where I'll be watching something on one app, and then Netflix would randomly load up. Now, I'm still having that issue but another problem has developed where an app will just close down. 

I've updated to the latest WebOS software and all apps are up to date. I'm just trying to figure out if it's just my TV or if it's a common issue that will hopefully get resolved.