18 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

So I had to replace my TV and ended up with a 4k one.

I don't really have anything 4k though. My Fire Stick isn't 4k. My Xbox isn't. My Sky Q isn't. My Netflix subscription isn't.

Is it worth upgrading any of them? I see Disney Plus is offering a lot of 4k content. Just wondered what the quality jump was like.

I've just bought a 4k hdr TV and would like to know about the above too! Also I've seen 4k hdmi cables about, is it worth buying some? Or is it bullshit? As its a digital signal. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So today I learned my mum took her phone to Tesco Mobile in-store because it wasn't opening web links. It turns out that's because Chrome had 158 tabs open.

Just remember that the single best "smart" feature you can buy on a TV is "more HDMI sockets." Don't rely on any built-in apps/streaming services/whatever that could be switched off or unsupported at

To be fair, none of the providers will give you a WiFi router that’s close to being decent. BT, Plusnet, Virgin and TalkTalk all send out poor quality, bottom-of-the-range kit that’ll just about get y

Posted Images

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

So I had to replace my TV and ended up with a 4k one.

I don't really have anything 4k though. My Fire Stick isn't 4k. My Xbox isn't. My Sky Q isn't. My Netflix subscription isn't.

Is it worth upgrading any of them? I see Disney Plus is offering a lot of 4k content. Just wondered what the quality jump was like.

Just my opinion but HDR is more of a jump in terms of picture than 4k.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

It depends.  Disney and Amazon have included 4k content so if the TV is smart it's not going to cost you anything beyond what you're already paying to see.

Netflix 4k is also needed to unlock Dolby Atmos, so if you've got a sweet sound set up you'll get some added sonic beef but it's the highest priced subscription.

It also depends what you're going between.  If you had a super sexy Full HD set and you've gone for a more modest 4k set you might not think the difference is that great.  My son got a cheapish Full HD TV for his room and the picture is worse than the decade+ old one that his little sister had out of the living room that's a classic 1080i beasty.

If the TV isn't smart and you've an old Firestick the 4k Firestick is so much more responsive due to the increased processing power that it's a worthwhile upgrade even without a 4k TV if you find the old stick forever lagging.  Play The Boys in 4k and then you might be gagging for a Series X.

Edit, sorry I didn't particularly answer the question.  There is a jump if all the gear is right, but what it's worth is very subjective.  E.g. I pay for ultra full fat Netflix, but I won't pay for NowTV sports passes beyond the base 720p.

1 hour ago, King of Hamptons said:

Also I've seen 4k hdmi cables about, is it worth buying some? Or is it bullshit? As its a digital signal. 

There are certain standards of HDMI cable that support 4k and HDR, but they have been around for a fair while.  If you have an old HDMI lead it might not be able to support the necessary signal bandwidth.  (Iirc HDMI v1.3 was 1080p, HDMI v1.4 was 3d, and v2.0 was 4k - but double check that). However, a 4k HDMI lead should not be super expensive.  A nice 2m braided cable from a reputable manufacturer shouldn't be costing you much more than a tenner. 

From personal experience I've suffered far more with dropouts when using 3m or longer runs with 4k gear, but as I could just about get away with 2m I didn't bother investigating it or trying active cables.

Edited by johnnyboy
  • Paid Members

For me, the biggest improvement of 4K content generally is the higher bitrate. As well as a jump in pixel count, you’re also getting far less compression.

Im amazed at how much quality Netflix can get with such a relatively low bitrate. That all said, I still find an Apple TV 4K a worthy investment if movies are your thing. iTunes have weekly offers and I’ve picked up loads of new films in 4K HDR for a few quid. As an example, 2 months after Darkest Hour, 3 Billboards and Logan came out, I bought them all to own for £2.99 each in glorious 4K HDR.

I also believe iTunes to offer the best streaming quality. Some YouTube videos have been made comparing it to physical media and it’s mostly indistinguishable (assuming you have at least 25Mbps download).

For cables, look no further than Amazon basics. I’ve just bought a pack of 2 x 3 meter 2.0 cables for £8.99.

Top Tip: Create an account at www.hukd.com and create an alert for “iTunes” and you’ll get noted each week when someone inevitably posts that week’s deals. Last week I got Joker for £4.99.

Edited by scratchdj