4 hours ago, Ralphy said:

My desktop pc is dead, no power at all. Tried it in a different socket and with a different power cable. Is the power supply to blame? How easy is it to replace? 

It's been making a loud noise from a fan off and on for a while. 

The current hdd has vista on it, how could I use this if I put it into a new desktop? 

I'm really gutted

Are there any lights that normally come on when it's plugged in? Have you tried unplugging it completely and leaving it for 5-10 minutes? Can you take the lid off and give it a minor dustbusting? 

Edited by hallicks
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So today I learned my mum took her phone to Tesco Mobile in-store because it wasn't opening web links. It turns out that's because Chrome had 158 tabs open.

To be fair, none of the providers will give you a WiFi router that’s close to being decent. BT, Plusnet, Virgin and TalkTalk all send out poor quality, bottom-of-the-range kit that’ll just about get y

Just remember that the single best "smart" feature you can buy on a TV is "more HDMI sockets." Don't rely on any built-in apps/streaming services/whatever that could be switched off or unsupported at

Posted Images

4 hours ago, hallicks said:

Are there any lights that normally come on when it's plugged in? Have you tried unplugging it completely and leaving it for 5-10 minutes? Can you take the lid off and give it a minor dustbusting? 

Thank u both, I went to buy a can of compressed air but had no luck today. I have managed to sell a few things and raise £20 for a replacement like for like psu from ebay. The lights only come on when their is power. 

If thus does not work, could I put this hdd into my grandads pc of a similar age and rescue the data? 

If not, could I make it the slave on my new desktop if I need one? 

6 hours ago, Ralphy said:

If thus does not work, could I put this hdd into my grandads pc of a similar age and rescue the data?

If not, could I make it the slave on my new desktop if I need one? 

Yeah, as long as it's got the same connectors on it you can use it as a secondary drive. If you're talking about slave, it must be an IDE drive?

Depends if the new PC has an IDE connector, most new motherboards don't have an IDE port on it anymore because of it's age. You can still get 3.5mm IDE enclosures on Ebay so you could use it as an external drive.Or you could fit an IDE controller card inside and use it as an internal drive.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:07 PM, Rossman said:

Yeah, as long as it's got the same connectors on it you can use it as a secondary drive. If you're talking about slave, it must be an IDE drive?

Depends if the new PC has an IDE connector, most new motherboards don't have an IDE port on it anymore because of it's age. You can still get 3.5mm IDE enclosures on Ebay so you could use it as an external drive.Or you could fit an IDE controller card inside and use it as an internal drive.

Thanks! Once I get the newer desktop that I am buying from a mate I will see if I need one of those or not

My psu arrived today, will be fitting it tomorrow as my air duster arrives then and I want to give my pc a good clean first

https://twitter.com/RalphyRamone/status/1290557768676638720?s=09

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

"This account owner limits who can view their Tweets." 

He's concerned that cows have access to twitter and doesn't want them to track him down

Hooray, its alive again after a psu replacement 

i did make one cock up though, i have forgotten which white connector i have to use to plug into my disk drive 

They are labeled "p1, p2, p3, p4 and p5, i have to attach an adapter onto it for it to then fir into my disc drive, but i don't know which of those "p" connections i should attach it to

any help on that please? 

117231890_193426788872966_76997027340367

These are an example of my "p" connectors (the white ones)

EeumtWEWoAEG4Wz?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Ralphy
  • Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

They are labeled "p1, p2, p3, p4 and p5, i have to attach an adapter onto it for it to then fir into my disc drive, but i don't know which of those "p" connections i should attach it to...

The white molex connectors will only labelled for identification purposes.  Functionally they're all the same.

49 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

4 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

The white molex connectors will only labelled for identification purposes.  Functionally they're all the same.

Thanks, i did notice some have more cables connected to them than others, some have 4, some have more, does that matter? 

I need to attach one of these to it 

width(300).jpg

Edited by Ralphy
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Thanks, i did notice some have more cables connected to them than others, some have 4, some have more, does that matter? 

A standard molex power connector is 4 wires.  Where there are double cables going in to the plug if you follow that cable you should find another molex plug at the end.  Usually a cheap way of adding plugs without wiring them all back to the PSU.

Edit: The pic is a molex to SATA power converter cable.  Any of the molex plugs with four wires that physically fit should power it.  Obviously don't wedge a floppy power connector in it and expect it to work.

Edited by johnnyboy
8 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

A standard molex power connector is 4 wires.  Where there are double cables going in to the plug if you follow that cable you should find another molex plug at the end.  Usually a cheap way of adding plugs without wiring them all back to the PSU.

Gotcha, so as long as i connect to the 4 wire cable with the molex, i am good to go? 

i used to be a lot more confident with computers than i am now 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Ralphy said:

Gotcha, so as long as i connect to the 4 wire cable with the molex, i am good to go?

Make sure you shut down and unplug from the mains first! But yeah, any molex that physically fits should work with the SATA to molex cable.