The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

• Paid Members

For the first time since I can remember, I feel stumped by a tech issue and I stubbornly, selfishly refuse to believe that the answer is "buy something more expensive" so I'm just after some assistance if possible.

Basically, I've got a 4TB portable hard drive (so it's powered by the system it is plugged into) and it's full of video files that I'd like to watch on TV,

My TV is well over ten years old, so the USB ports on the back don't do much save for power my Chromecast. I plug the hard drive in and no source appears on the list. So that's option one gone.

I've got a PS4 plugged into that TV and for that to work I'll have to convert my hard drive to exFAT (a lot of the video files are well over 4gb so FAT32 is out of the question). My laptop hard drive is only 400gb, and the portable drive is nearly full so that's shagged any chance of just transferring the files over whilst I format the drive.

I've Googled and searched this topic high and low, and all the answers assume you have a modern TV or have already formatted the portable drive to exFAT. Is my only option to just buy a new TV or is there some sort of work around or sneaky third-party device that I can use? I could just plug my laptop into the HDMI slot of the TV but that kinda defeats the purpose of having a portable hard drive.

Thanks in advance for any help and assistance. Cheers!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Can't you just cast the video from the laptop to the Chromecast, either from a Chrome tab or from using something like Plex?

Yeah that thought did cross my mind but my laptop is basically chained up in the upstairs home office for WFH, so I thought having this small portable hard drive would be easier to plug and play into the TV/games console.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Anyone got an OLED TV? I'm looking into getting one but hearing about screen burn and slight lag for gaming on the one I'm looking at.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know-now/

Thats a decent shout on what to consider, it seems to affect long term channel watching.

On a different note I just upgraded the house to the tado system. It was super simple to set up and seems to work really well. The only draw back is they want £25 to auto geo fence it. It still send a notification if both the mrs and me are out telling us to set it to away so i dont think i will bother paying up.  

• Paid Members

Got myself a 3d printer.  Ender 3 Pro.  Took most of yesterday afternoon to build it, only to find it had beem shipped with a Eu plug.  Bastards.  Ordered a new plug from Amazon prime, and hit it working today.

Took about 40 minutes to level it, and off it went.  Really pleased with the quality.

• Paid Members
On 7/23/2020 at 3:13 PM, Accident Prone said:

Thanks @johnnyboy, I'll look into this over the weekend. Fingers crossed!

I'm going to tag him again which will annoy him but @johnnyboy's advice was excellent; Plex works a treat! I'll probably sign-up for the premium plan too so I can download videos to my phone. Thanks again! 

• Paid Members

So I'm looking to buy a new TV, but I'm getting stuck. Like stuck at the first hurdle. I don't even know how much I should be looking to spend. I've got £500 or so set aside, but I'm also not in a huge rush which leaves me wondering if I'm better saving for longer and going to the next tier up? 
It's not a huge room, we're only about 10 feet away from the TV, but we're also reclusive nerds who spend a fair bit of time gaming and watching films. I guess I'm aiming for a home cinema, but that seems to just lead me down an even more daunting and confusing rabbit hole. Soundbars, 2.1, 5.1, projector or screen...? I'm just lost and worried about blowing a fair chunk of cash on something that's not quite right. Any help?

• Paid Members

Just remember that the single best "smart" feature you can buy on a TV is "more HDMI sockets." Don't rely on any built-in apps/streaming services/whatever that could be switched off or unsupported at any time.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, CoreyVandal said:

So I'm looking to buy a new TV, but I'm getting stuck. Like stuck at the first hurdle. I don't even know how much I should be looking to spend. I've got £500 or so set aside, but I'm also not in a huge rush which leaves me wondering if I'm better saving for longer and going to the next tier up? 
It's not a huge room, we're only about 10 feet away from the TV, but we're also reclusive nerds who spend a fair bit of time gaming and watching films. I guess I'm aiming for a home cinema, but that seems to just lead me down an even more daunting and confusing rabbit hole. Soundbars, 2.1, 5.1, projector or screen...? I'm just lost and worried about blowing a fair chunk of cash on something that's not quite right. Any help?

5.1 sound bar that uses 2 separate speakers for surround will give you the best sound. I don’t trust the bars that attempt to fire sound to places.  Of course if you want to go further down the rabbit hole a 5.1 av system is another option but then your into running cables and wires 

It could well be the PSU, but it could also be a number of other things. It's extremely hard to diagnose such a problem remotely. Can you open the tower? Does anything happen inside when you plug it in? Are there any lights on or any movement? Is there a wire that looks like it should be plugged in somewhere? Is there anything blocking fan movement?

And Vista?? Honestly? You've been suffering needlessly.

4 hours ago, Ralphy said:

My desktop pc is dead, no power at all. Tried it in a different socket and with a different power cable. Is the power supply to blame? How easy is it to replace? 

It's been making a loud noise from a fan off and on for a while. 

The current hdd has vista on it, how could I use this if I put it into a new desktop? 

I'm really gutted

Are there any lights that normally come on when it's plugged in? Have you tried unplugging it completely and leaving it for 5-10 minutes? Can you take the lid off and give it a minor dustbusting? 

Edited by hallicks

6 hours ago, Ralphy said:

If thus does not work, could I put this hdd into my grandads pc of a similar age and rescue the data?

If not, could I make it the slave on my new desktop if I need one? 

Yeah, as long as it's got the same connectors on it you can use it as a secondary drive. If you're talking about slave, it must be an IDE drive?

Depends if the new PC has an IDE connector, most new motherboards don't have an IDE port on it anymore because of it's age. You can still get 3.5mm IDE enclosures on Ebay so you could use it as an external drive.Or you could fit an IDE controller card inside and use it as an internal drive.