The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

I couldn't find an appropriate thread to ask or post about all things tech, so thought I'd start one. Point me in the right direction if such a thing already exists.

If not, then if you've got a general tech question or want to post/share something cool that is tech related, here be the place to do that.

My question though:

I'm wanting to connect my laptop up to my amp via optical cable, apropos achieving surround sound. My amp does not have a HDMI port so that's not an alternative option. I have limited knowledge on upgrading laptops, other than hard drives and ram, so I have no idea if the sound card can be changed. I have seen though that external sound cards are an option, but I'm seeing mixed reviews. Has anyone used these before? Do they work? Do they sound good? Any particular model you can recommend?

• 1 month later...

Can somebody explain what's going on with Huawei? I've not followed what's going on at all. All I know is there's some problem between the US and China over it and it may stop Huawei being able to work with Google? 

I ask as I have a Huawei phone and I prefer it over any Apple/Samsung/Google phone I've had. 

If Huawei can no longer work with Google from China then they're essentially going to be useless without Android, right?

Ta. 

The part I don't get is that Huawei have been making 3G/4G wireless dongles and such like for other companies for years. If they wanted to spy on anyone, they would have done it a long time ago.

The cynic in me thinks it's more to do with Huawei now outselling Apple in the mobile phone market. People are waking up to how overpriced they are, when you can buy a Huawei P20 or P30 Pro or Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 with more features at a lesser cost.

• Paid Members

So just to clarify, provided I don't care about possible spying ramifications, my existing Huawei phone will still work on Android for the foreseeable? It's just future models that will be an issue? I quite like my current phone, so I don't want to have to get a new one any time soon. 

• Paid Members

Why is my internet fine on the virgin box, laptop and TV but shite on other devices? I can stream stuff just fine on all them but on my phone and girlfriends iPad it's shocking. Current speed on the phone . . . . 

Screenshot_20190525-190227_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, BigJag said:

Which of those devices are connected via Wi-Fi. Which are connected via Ethernet? Are you using Virgins rather poor wireless hub?

Nooo don't say that! We're switching to virgin next week because plusnet WiFi has been fucking shite. 

• Paid Members

Everything is wireless apart from the Virgin box. It seems to be fine this morning though. This is the problem, it'll fix itself and I'll forget all about it until it happens again in a weeks time.