After a spot of advice.

Macbooks. 

So I’ve had use of one for the past month or so through work and now I want one. Mainly to use for work related bits and bobs such as video and audio editing. I’m a novice when it comes to most things Apple related (I have an iPhone and iPad) but I’m a very eager to learn. 

Ive been looking at refurbished Macbook’s On the Apple store but still a little more expensive than I’d like to pay given I don’t know if I’ll actually use it to its full spec. The model I had at work was the Early 2015 Pro, I’ve struggled to find that on most other refurb sites. They’re either earlier models or as per Apple 2017. Financing is an option if I end up going to the official site or Currys for a new one (they’ve got an offer on a 2017 MacBook Air at the mo around £750.)

If we’re talking budget then I reckon, preferably,  I could stretch to around £500. 

Basically, what I want to know is have you ever bought a refurb model? Do you know any trusted sites? Anything I need to be wary of or avoid? Pro or Air? Will a noob like me miss out on anything amazing if opting for an earlier model? 

Any and all advice is greatly received, cheers. 

Edited by Stinky Dad
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So today I learned my mum took her phone to Tesco Mobile in-store because it wasn't opening web links. It turns out that's because Chrome had 158 tabs open.

Just remember that the single best "smart" feature you can buy on a TV is "more HDMI sockets." Don't rely on any built-in apps/streaming services/whatever that could be switched off or unsupported at

To be fair, none of the providers will give you a WiFi router that’s close to being decent. BT, Plusnet, Virgin and TalkTalk all send out poor quality, bottom-of-the-range kit that’ll just about get y

Posted Images

• Paid Members

I much prefer the pre-Touch Bar ones to the ones with. I have a 2015-ish model at home, but got a new model when I started a new job last year.

The keyboard doesn’t feel as nice as my older one, and the work’s one is quite buggy. We do regular video catch-ups and constantly having issues with video and audio not being detected. If I disconnect it from my desk monitor, it seldom detects it when reconnecting and usually requires a reboot.

I’ve not bought a refurbished model but I imagine the ones from Apple themselves will be in good nick. I’d much rather have one of them than a brand new one. Much better value for money if you’re wanting to put a wedge down for one.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Let's talk backup!

Who here has a good backup system or routine? What do you use - drive, cloud? Do you have any workflow tools? Is your process manual or automatic?

I use the free version of SyncBack, which has a mirror option. That means it only copies files that have changed or are new, rather than copying everything over every time.

I do a daily backup to a USB stick of all my documents (which lives in my pocket), and then a weekly backup of the entire drives (including applications and media files) to an external hard drive.

I'll also occasionally copy a file manually to Google Drive if it's something that would be a major and imminent problem in the unlikely case that both my hard drive and USB stick failed, for example if I'm midway through an article or if I've got an audio file of an interview that isn't transcribed yet.

3 hours ago, Stinky Dad said:

After a spot of advice.

Macbooks. 

So I’ve had use of one for the past month or so through work and now I want one. Mainly to use for work related bits and bobs such as video and audio editing. I’m a novice when it comes to most things Apple related (I have an iPhone and iPad) but I’m a very eager to learn. 

Ive been looking at refurbished Macbook’s On the Apple store but still a little more expensive than I’d like to pay given I don’t know if I’ll actually use it to its full spec. The model I had at work was the Early 2015 Pro, I’ve struggled to find that on most other refurb sites. They’re either earlier models or as per Apple 2017. Financing is an option if I end up going to the official site or Currys for a new one (they’ve got an offer on a 2017 MacBook Air at the mo around £750.)

If we’re talking budget then I reckon, preferably,  I could stretch to around £500. 

Basically, what I want to know is have you ever bought a refurb model? Do you know any trusted sites? Anything I need to be wary of or avoid? Pro or Air? Will a noob like me miss out on anything amazing if opting for an earlier model? 

Any and all advice is greatly received, cheers. 

I bought a refurbed one from Apple and it was great. You’d have never know that it wasn’t new. 

• Moderators
On 8/28/2019 at 12:32 PM, JNLister said:

I use the free version of SyncBack, which has a mirror option. That means it only copies files that have changed or are new, rather than copying everything over every time.

I do a daily backup to a USB stick of all my documents (which lives in my pocket), and then a weekly backup of the entire drives (including applications and media files) to an external hard drive.

I'll also occasionally copy a file manually to Google Drive if it's something that would be a major and imminent problem in the unlikely case that both my hard drive and USB stick failed, for example if I'm midway through an article or if I've got an audio file of an interview that isn't transcribed yet.

Hey I have a follow up question for you if I may..

When SyncBack mirrors does it delete things that are no longer there, or does it just add new files and update changed ones? I don't want it to delete stuff that I have "archived" and no longer need on my active drives. (I realise this isn't proper backing up because then that stuff is only in 1 place, but I wouldn't do that with anything important).

Edited by Chest Rockwell
  • Paid Members

@Chest Rockwell I have a home server with all our photos, phone videos and movies on. That has a RAID setup so if the drive goes bang I’ve got an immediate backup of everything. Plus, the data is backed up in the cloud using LiveDrive which is really good. 

It just monitors a given location/locations and uploads what gets added/changed. Costs a little bit, but it’s great value for money and is unlimited.

Edited by scratchdj
  • Paid Members
17 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Hey I have a follow up question for you if I may..

When SyncBack mirrors does it delete things that are no longer there, or does it just add new files and update changed ones? I don't want it to delete stuff that I have "archived" and no longer need on my active drives. (I realise this isn't proper backing up because then that stuff is only in 1 place, but I wouldn't do that with anything important).

There's two main settings:

"Backup" just copies across any files that are new or modified on the original drive since your last backup. It doesn't delete anything from the backup drive. (Sounds like that's what you want.)

"Mirror" copies across new and modified files, but also deletes anything on the backup drive that's no longer on the original drive. So once it's run, the two drives should be identical.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, scratchdj said:

You’ve lost me, sorry...

RAID can be used for performance, availability and fault tolerance, but it's not a backup.  When I see the words RAID and backup too close together it sets my teeth on edge.

I once visited an SME who were running their entire operation on a single server.  Their "backup" strategy was to pop a disk from the RAID mirror pair out and take it home.  Obviously their business continuity and disaster recovery plans were only good for lining the office hamster's cage.

Edited by johnnyboy
  • Paid Members
3 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

RAID can be used for performance, availability and fault tolerance, but it's not a backup.  When I see the words RAID and backup too close together it sets my teeth on edge.

I once visited an SME who were running their entire operation on a single server.  Their "backup" strategy was to pop a disk from the RAID mirror pair out and take it home.  Obviously their business continuity and disaster recovery plans were only good for lining the office hamster's cage.

Ah yes, but then it really depends on context. For a web server or a file server running a business, absolutely. But for a home server that updates a few files about once a month, it’s a perfectly good solution.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Ah yes, but then it really depends on context.

I don't mean to be a pedant, but it doesn't.  RAID in itself, even as a mirror, is fundamentally never a backup.  E.g. if a file is corrupted, in a RAID mirror that corruption is instantly replicated to the other drive.  The file is corrupt, it's just corrupt on two drives in the mirror pair simultaneously now.

What you've got is fault tolerance in a RAID mirror.  If one disk fails then you hope that the other one, and the controller, remain up to complete the rebuild once the faulty disk has been replaced.  You have availability of data while the other disk is knackered, and you have the degree of fault tolerance to stomach the failure, but what it isn't is a backup.

I'm genuinely not trying to be an arse, it's just a really important distinction in my world.

Edit: I'm not saying that it's not perfectly acceptable for storing stuff on at home, just that disks in RAID volumes aren't backups of the other disks in the volume.

Edited by johnnyboy
  • Paid Members
7 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I don't mean to be a pedant, but it doesn't.  RAID in itself, even as a mirror, is fundamentally never a backup.  E.g. if a file is corrupted, in a RAID mirror that corruption is instantly replicated to the other drive.  The file is corrupt, it's just corrupt on two drives in the mirror pair simultaneously now.

What you've got is fault tolerance in a RAID mirror.  If one disk fails then you hope that the other one, and the controller, remain up to complete the rebuild once the faulty disk has been replaced.  You have availability of data while the other disk is knackered, and you have the degree of fault tolerance to stomach the failure, but what it isn't is a backup.

I'm genuinely not trying to be an arse, it's just a really important distinction in my world.

Edit: I'm not saying that it's not perfectly acceptable for storing stuff on at home, just that disks in RAID volumes aren't backups of the other disks in the volume.

Ok, I hear you and that's fair enough. My "real" backup is on LiveDrive, however I setup the RAID as convenience should one of those disks fail. Assuming the other disk and controller are fine as you say (it's all about minimising risk after all), then I won't have to download several terabytes back down from the cloud and can carry on with minimum inconvenience.

• 1 month later...

I have a UK to US travel adapter (three prongs) but need an adapter for two prongs now. I can't find a UK to 2-prong adapter where I am. Is it safe to put a UK plug into the three-pronged adapter and then put that adapter into a US to 2-prong adapter?

That gave me a headache reading it back so here's a photo of what I want to do. The Apple plug is UK, the next is three-pronged, the last is two-pronged.

Prong.

20191012-203456.jpg

Edited by Sphinx