The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

I have a UK to US travel adapter (three prongs) but need an adapter for two prongs now. I can't find a UK to 2-prong adapter where I am. Is it safe to put a UK plug into the three-pronged adapter and then put that adapter into a US to 2-prong adapter?

That gave me a headache reading it back so here's a photo of what I want to do. The Apple plug is UK, the next is three-pronged, the last is two-pronged.

Prong.

20191012-203456.jpg

Edited by Sphinx

I'm in Peru which I read is 220V, 60Hz. The charger says 100-240V, 50-60Hz, so that part should be fine.

I've taken the plug out from the Mac charger (which I forgot you could do) but the plug has something affixed at the bottom that fits it into the charger. If that makes sense.

I don't know whether the travel adapters (or two of them in this case) really do anything (like I know its unsafe to daisy chain extension leads).

8 hours ago, Sphinx said:

I'm in Peru which I read is 220V, 60Hz. The charger says 100-240V, 50-60Hz, so that part should be fine.

I've taken the plug out from the Mac charger (which I forgot you could do) but the plug has something affixed at the bottom that fits it into the charger. If that makes sense.

I don't know whether the travel adapters (or two of them in this case) really do anything (like I know its unsafe to daisy chain extension leads).

I don't know if you could get a 2 pin shaver socket adapter to just attack onto the Apple plug. If not a yank replacement will do. I wouldn't recommend using 3 adapters like that, because will have a bunch of wobbly connections at a fairly high voltage.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members
On 2/19/2020 at 4:03 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

After a little bit of advice if anyone can help. I need a portable PowerPoint projector for around £300-350 needs to connect to a laptop, ideally not a VGA connection. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Has your laptop got an HDMI output?

If so, a mate has reccomended this: Epson EB-S41

I've no experiance of it personally, but he says for the money it's spot on.

Edited by Cod Eye

• 1 month later...

Feels a bit '1st world problems' at the moment, but my TV's (Samsung) picture all of a sudden faded last night, and now when I turn it on, the picture is faint/flickering.

Any one know what it could be before I buy a new one? I think it's only about 3 years old, but could be wrong (a friend gave it to me, but he's in South America at the moment so can't ask him). Not massively arsed for a few days myself, but i've got the kids all week, and although they won't be sat in front of it all day, it'd be nice to have the option.

I've tried turning it off and on again, and leaving a lengthy gap between putting back on, and it seems to just do the same.

Cheers.

So any help guys? I'm not sure if there is a thread specifically for pc/laptop issues but thought tech would probably cover it.

So, I have the dreaded 'No internet, secured' bollocks going on at the moment. Usually I'll switch between my 2G and 5G connections and it solves it. Failing that, other than trying to Google it, and unticking the internet protocol - IPv6, all my (non existant) solutions are exhausted. I have a friend who usually helps in this area, but lockdown! 

So, anyone savvy enough to help out (in as rudimentary/easy a way as possible)? Don't have a smart tv so without any other thing to watch streaming services on, this is going to be a very long lockdown period for me. About as long as this post actually!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not sure what it is you're after. Please post an example pic. I'm imagining a cup style phone that hangs/clamps around your neck. I'm struggling to understand how it would seal around the ear though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Kindle basic or the paperwhite?

I bought the basic when lockdown kicked off. Have never wrung my hands wishing there were more pixels. Reads fine in all sorts of light conditions and battery life is great.