The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Can someone recommend me a cheapish/freeish/actually free video editor?

I was using Serif MoviePlus X5 but its been abandoned by the developer and doesn't recognise .MOV files. I can usually get round this by converting them to .WMV or something, but now that I've got to edit something together from 140+ .MOV clips, I really can't be arsed with the back and forth.

I don't need anything super fancy, but being able to overlay one clip over another with varying levels of opacity would be nice. 

Davinci Resolve is amazing for free. Genuinely film industry-level stuff. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Davinci Resolve is amazing for free. Genuinely film industry-level stuff. 

+1 for this. Our video editors are using this more and more regularly over FCPX and Premiere Pro - the free version is excellent and pretty user friendly. 

If you don't have time to learn the full ins and outs of that, @johnnyboy's Open Shot suggestion is also a great shout.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

My phone is bursting at the seams with pictures again so I was about to delete my Whatsapp which is saying it has 2.5gb of data at the moment. 

I thought that was fine as all the pictures were in icloud anyway but I'm told that if you delete things from your phone it deletes from your icloud too. I thought everything just stayed up in the magic cloud but apparently not! So do I need to move pictures from the icloud to somewhere else to keep them, before deleting them from my phone? What do you guys do with all your pictures as this must be a common problem these days?

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

eBay is probably your best bet, but I'd be wary. With the advent of cryptomining a lot of the used stock these days have been run 24/7 for a few years and are basically burned out and running way worse than you'd expect for a typical used GPU. There's not really any way to tell in advance either, afaik, unless you're buying directly from a mate.

Just now, Jesse said:

eBay is probably your best bet, but I'd be wary. With the advent of cryptomining a lot of the used stock these days have been run 24/7 for a few years and are basically burned out and running way worse than you'd expect for a typical used GPU. There's not really any way to tell in advance either, afaik, unless you're buying directly from a mate.

Yeah, that's been my main thing for wanting to buy somewhere maybe a little more legit with some kind of warranty. Especially as I'm looking at a GTX 1060 which has probably been mined to death.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

A friend of mine (not me) has got rid of Sky and was speaking to a few of his mates who said they pay £60 a year for a fire stick that has all the channels loaded on to it. If my friend (definitely not me) got in on the action would there be any risks? He’s a bit worried about upsetting his internet provider or something like that, is he worrying unnecessarily?

• Paid Members

One of the risks is that the IPTV provider could up and leave at any point. Your mate could pay £60 only for the curator to get cold feet or feel like they're on the cusp of being caught, then they'd just yank the connections and delete everything. No refunds, obviously.

A friend of mine (definitely not me) bought into a similar thing on another service, but they did a 3-month trial and concluded that while it is a great deal, the provider could definitely decide that the heat is too much and the jig is up.

Also, if your mate is paying by PayPal or by any account that links you to the service, you could also go down if the provider is caught in the act. Then there's the shitstorm if your internet provider decides to get in on the action too.

Obviously, this is all precautionary and comes from tales that my mate read elsewhere. Your mate and my mate will probably be fine, with the biggest risk being losing a bit of cash. Personally, I'd say invest in a decent VPN and look into cyber currency first. But then again, my dad does it and he's the least-tech savvie and least tech-secure man on the planet, and he's doing okay (apart from all his personal info probably being sold to a bajillion schemes and scammers, but I doubt he cares).

Edited by Accident Prone

@waters44 I have a friend that has been in a similar position. Like @Accident Prone says, they're great until they stop working for whatever reason.

My friend started using someone from a recommendation, and for the first year it was all good. Then after a few weeks of paying for the second year it stopped working, the facebook page for it got locked, the guy running it stopped responding to messages etc. They found another provider and stumped up again for a year, and then a week later the original just started working again! All the time whilst also keeping Sky "just in case" (albeit at a reduced rate because they threatened to leave).

Both subscriptions have run out now, but my friend is going to stick with the second supplier and get another year and then reduce their sky package to the cheapest one possible to keep the recording facility available "just in case".

• Paid Members

Anyone got or used remarkable? I like to handwrite my notes and this seems a nice middle ground that keeps that and let's me structure without keeping multiple notebooks around. 

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

I need a free screen-recording solution and some audio setting suggestions. There's a few different ways of using Quicktime player, but I specifically need a solution that does the below - 

- Records the screen (of course)
- Records the audio
- Whilst recording, I can still hear the audio coming from the computer. 
- I may also need to be able to be hear via a microphone, and the compute still records my audio in addition to those other bits and pieces. 

I'm taking part in some lectures and we have permission to record them, but we're not able to physically record them via Zoom, which to be honest would solve all the issues straight away. So I'm looking at backup options. 

I'll genuinely buy a chippy tea for anyone that helps me resolve this successfully (first come, first serve). 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I need a free screen-recording solution and some audio setting suggestions. There's a few different ways of using Quicktime player, but I specifically need a solution that does the below - 

- Records the screen (of course)
- Records the audio
- Whilst recording, I can still hear the audio coming from the computer. 
- I may also need to be able to be hear via a microphone, and the compute still records my audio in addition to those other bits and pieces. 

I'm taking part in some lectures and we have permission to record them, but we're not able to physically record them via Zoom, which to be honest would solve all the issues straight away. So I'm looking at backup options. 

I'll genuinely buy a chippy tea for anyone that helps me resolve this successfully (first come, first serve). 

OBS is free screen-recording/streaming software that is lightweight and a really simple setup imo. https://obsproject.com/

Their wiki has a quickstart guide here: https://obsproject.com/wiki/OBS-Studio-Quickstart
and there's a million video and written guides because almost every streamer/gaming YouTuber uses it.