The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

• Paid Members

Hi folks. Looking at becoming one of the latest wankers to get an Apple Watch. 

Vodafone trying to fleece me by signing up to an additional connectivity plan. Is it possible to buy the watches independently from say, the Apple site, and then set them up with your phone afterwards? To be honest I only really want to get the Apple Fitness bollocks and also - and this is a strange concept I know - to be able to tell the time. 

Apple website seems to offer financing for 22:99 a month. Cheaper than Vodafone but without the immediate set up. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Hi folks. Looking at becoming one of the latest wankers to get an Apple Watch. 

Vodafone trying to fleece me by signing up to an additional connectivity plan. Is it possible to buy the watches independently from say, the Apple site, and then set them up with your phone afterwards? To be honest I only really want to get the Apple Fitness bollocks and also - and this is a strange concept I know - to be able to tell the time. 

Apple website seems to offer financing for 22:99 a month. Cheaper than Vodafone but without the immediate set up. 

There are two types. GPS or Cellular. GPS has to be with your phone. Cellular can be used without your phone near by as basically has its own sim plan. I normally would have both together so I went with the GPS version and it’s fine.

• 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

Elon's latest way to save money is to bin off Periscope. Nobody will miss it but I'd forgotten I had a few videos uploaded there.

I found a hooky site that has allowed me to download them as there doesn't seem to be an method to export. VLC being the champ that it is can play them no problem. But Windows native players can't can't play it and my video editing software doesn't recognise it. I've tried VLCs convert feature but it fails with the obscure "mjpeg error: cannot peek" error.

Anyone know how I can convert this into something usable? Last resort is to screencap it with OBS but it's a bit long winded when I have a file right there.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Elon's latest way to save money is to bin off Periscope. Nobody will miss it but I'd forgotten I had a few videos uploaded there.

I found a hooky site that has allowed me to download them as there doesn't seem to be an method to export. VLC being the champ that it is can play them no problem. But Windows native players can't can't play it and my video editing software doesn't recognise it. I've tried VLCs convert feature but it fails with the obscure "mjpeg error: cannot peek" error.

Anyone know how I can convert this into something usable? Last resort is to screencap it with OBS but it's a bit long winded when I have a file right there.

What file extension does the hooky site download them as?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here own a Chromebook? When transferring files from the internal storage to an external hard drive, the transfer speeds are normal. When transferring files from the external hard drive to the internal storage, its insanely slow. Any ideas what could cause that? A 300MB file takes upwards of 15 minutes, and stop/starts all the time when copying from the EHDD to to the internal storage.

14 hours ago, Dai said:

Does anyone here own a Chromebook? When transferring files from the internal storage to an external hard drive, the transfer speeds are normal. When transferring files from the external hard drive to the internal storage, its insanely slow. Any ideas what could cause that? A 300MB file takes upwards of 15 minutes, and stop/starts all the time when copying from the EHDD to to the internal storage.

How much space is left on your internal storage? It’s normal for write speeds to drag when a drive is approaching full. 

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

How much space is left on your internal storage? It’s normal for write speeds to drag when a drive is approaching full. 

Ive tried it with over half the space left, and its still rubbish. Ive also tried to go from one external to another external, and the speed is rubbish for that too. Yet when I go internal hdd to either of these, the speed is fine. 

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Hello team, looking for recommendations on headsets which are noise cancelling but also with a decent enough mic bolted on. I'm tighter than a duck's arse and thus don't want to break the bank. It will primarily be for conference calls and for blocking out distractions, not to be flash and to listen to any bangers etc. 

20-times-alan-partridge-dressed-better-than-you-8-1556694589-70C6-column-width-inline.png.30e199d8371cdb808ab9a3f8898e7cab.png

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

We got a new Broadband provider a few weeks ago, some fibre. The routeris in the pub, but the signal in the pub is practically non-existent. Our new provider offered to furnish us with some range extenders for an extra £8 per month, but I have a feeling there must be some kind of extender or booster I can use somewhere to resolve this issue. Does anybody have any ideas or recommendations?

• Paid Members

Not disrespect to Rossman but a £15 Wifi Extender is not going to get you shit. Your needs are depending on the size of the building, distance from your router and the type of walls (brick, plasterboard, etc). I live in a 2 bed house with brick walls and a wifi extender never made it from my living room to my kitchen.

I have a £90 Deco Wifi Mesh which is basically 3 small routers that spread the connection between them and that's worked for me, but on the other hand my parents tried the exact same one with the exact same provider in their 3 bed house and had more luck just using the single extender Youfibre gave them and the spare one I never used off them.

We'd really need to know basics such as what I mentioned above before anyone could realistically give you any worthwhile information, and even then it's going to be pot luck whether it works as good as you hope.

• Paid Members

Depending on what you are doing with it and how it's set up until you get a permanent solution you could try setting up a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz channel. Might not help though.

Mine was meant to be dynamic but it was shit and it was much better for me to have control of which to use where.

Edited by Tommy!