Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

I don't know why, but I'm really looking forward to this weeks 'Brawl For All' episode. It feels like it will be more lighthearted compared to previous episodes.

Probably because its light hearted and you can fully enjoy the ridiculousness of it guilt free. At least that is why I am looking forward to it. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I watched the Benoit episode using a VPN but the New Jack episode shows a padlock icon on it and wants me to login using a TV provider account. Am I missing something obvious?

Still on YouTube if your quick.

Great to finally see Bart Gunn discuss it from his perspective.

How do they find such realistic actors to do the reenactments? They're always so perfectly on-point.

As per forum rules, it's important I also confirm JR is an unbearable prick again.

Edited by IronSheik

Yeah Cornette going off again on Russo. Who cares? Cornette comes across as demented.

Still odd they didn't do anything with Bart after he won. Could have easily done well as a solid mid card with that gimmick as a badass.

Good to see Droz again!

Edited by Factotum

I quite enjoyed this week's aside from the overplayed Cornette-Russo thing as I guess I haven't really consumed any of the plethora of shoot interview material on the BFA. Some of the source material is questionable (as an avowed Meltzist I think excerpts from Bruce Prichard's podcast should be treated as a take rather than gospel) but it was entertaining in a way that the Benoit and New Jack episodes weren't. Godfather has a good attitude about the biz, you can see why they liked him in WWE. Team player. Was also conflicted: I don't really like Vince Russo but he claims he concocted this as a way of ensuring Bradshaw got beat up. Not sure being crowned 2nd toughest midcarder in the locker room counts as mission accomplished but it is never not satisfying to see that KO punch from the final. These aren't great documentaries but they're competent narratives that seem official. I guess that's what matters.

Cornette is such a weirdo, one day someone will take his fake threats serious and he will be in serious trouble. Fuck me he thinks he’s a genius hard man 

Yeah, I enjoyed the Brawl for All episode but way too much focus on Russo versus Cornette which is just so far past tedious at this point. 

Would have been nice to have heard from some of the other tournament participants like JBL, Holly, Blackman and Severn. 

They didn't really get into the tournament and the blow-by-blow of the injuries and how things evolved which is a shame, they just mentioned it in passing to make way for a Russo/Cornette rant and the Droz/D-Lo incident, which had little to do with things, though I understand they were using it to make a point. Would have been good to talk more about the mechanics of it or politics behind it, the fact it exposed guys, the fact so many quit on it mid-swing (only Severn was mentioned) or decision making and aftermath...

There was a ready made story that would at least have been entertaining about Bradshaw, if the whole really was about him all along, having no business getting past the quarters, where Jack Doan made a monumental cock-up with the rules and gave Bradshaw five points for a takedown on Mero when they were in the ropes. Mero broke because the ref asked him too, Bradshaw didn't break and took him down instead and was inexplicably given the points. Bradshaw was ridiculously gassed and you can tell on the tape, thinks he lost. The ref gave the points and Mero was furious backstage over it. Then Bradshaw was awarded the win over Droz which was also questionable, before finally being lamped in seconds by Bart.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke