Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members

Stephanie will probably let him shag about, surely? Linda and Vince are her parents. They didnt give a shit. I remember Court Bauer saying that Vince told his staff (while his daughter was sitting there to hear it) that Vin-man and the Hulkster did a bit of wife swapping back in the day.

Which makes me think, Vince and Linda Hogan - fair enough. I can see that. Hogan smashing Linda McMahon's pasty is a visual I havent been able to quite make out if I'm honest. I'm thinking little 5'0" Linda and 1988 jacked up coke head Hogan. I bet it was like Andre shagging those Japanese birds.

19 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

1, He allegedly came up with the idea of screwing Bret Hart.
"Allegedly."
2, The cowardly way he took the Julie Hart bollocking (wrestling with shadows).
Do you want him to start screaming in a woman's face or what?
3, Continually being rude to fans (circa Attitude era).
Evidence that it was not his gimmick or that this is even true please? Fans are the biggest cunts you can get, wouldn't blame any wrestler for being rude to them the way they act.
4, His "Friends" (you hang around shit, you turn into shit).
What friends specifically? What have they done that is so cuntish outside book a fake sport so they came out on top?
5, His selfishness (especially at Wrestlemania).
The man who has lost 13 matches at WrestleMania and put over the next stars of the business in John Cena and Roman Reigns there?
6, The predatory nature in a lot of dealings with NXT UK.
Signing the best guys for his company and making sure his business is the best one?
7, The multitude of lies he has spoken about regarding contracts/bookings/promotions etc etc within the UK .
Prove it.

I typed those off the top of my head, there are more. It was way too easy.

You typed a load of speculative and nonfactual shit off the top of your head, mate.

• Paid Members

I've never really bought that Triple H had anything to do with the Screwjob. He was The Other Guy in The Kliq, not someone who would have had Vince's ear about main event booking decisions or how to resolve significant issues, and I don't recall him ever fitting into the version of events as told by Russo or Cornette or anyone else who was actually there, or Triple H's name being associated with the Screwjob at all before he was firmly ensconced in the corridors of power.

It always felt to me like Triple H was taking the heat for Michaels once his own position was firmly secured.

The Screwjob is like anytime anything happens of note in the west, Al Qaeda take responsibility regardless of actual involvement. Pretty much everyone who was around seems to have claimed "yeah it was me". Hell there's even the "it was a work" element where the implication is it was Brets idea. So many discrepancies and versions of events around what happened now.

Edited by lanky316

57 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I could go on quite the tirade about how utterly useless he was at "putting over" Cena and Reigns. Especially Roman, that feud hurt Roman far more than it helped him. Only person I'd say he ever truly elevated was Batista. 

Reigns I will give you as an overall feud - it was more just a reply to him being selfish at WrestleMania. He elevated Cena for me even if it wasn't in a way for fans to like him - he made him a bigger star. He was a fitting authority figure in Bryan's anti-authority angle too even if it wasn't the original plans. He tapped to Benoit at Mania. He put Rollins over at Mania. Batista as you say. The idea he has been selfish at WrestleMania is nonsense.

25 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

The Screwjob is like anytime anything happens of note in the west, Al Qaeda take responsibility regardless of actual involvement. Pretty much everyone who was around seems to have claimed "yeah it was me". Hell there's even the "it was a work" element where the implication is it was Brets idea. So many discrepancies and versions of events around what happened now.

I still think Montreal was a work. 

Everyone did so well off it

Wwf got fuck loads of attention + abit of wcw unscripted anything can happen edge

Vince born the hated Mr McMahon.... Which they got massive mileage out of. 

Bret got to leave with a 'ready made' feud for when he inevitably returned 3 years later.

Bret didnt have to lose the title and got 'screwed' =sympathy and the 'I didn't lose the title angle' 

Bret had momentum going into wcw - wcw fucked that not Bret or vince

Bret got a controversial ending fo this dvd (wrestling with shadows) 

It was a live ppv and u just don't risk that. If Bret had been a steiner type, gone loopy and butchered michaels right there OK live TV along with anyone who came near him it would possibly have killed wwfs ppv business. People forget ufc was courting mega controversy back then and there was alot of pressure to ban violent ppvs. 

It just worked out a little to well for everyone. 

Vince and Bret were very very close. They may have worked everyone  Inc shawn on it legitimacy. Vince loves working the boys and the hard on  he'd have got from that and being able to fit be himself (ala Mr McMahon) would have been rediculous

Part of the problem though is looking at one night results in isolation when that doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme. He put over Benoit at 20, Batista at 21, Cena at 22...but who was in the main event all three years? And who was the focus of television afterwards? After 20, Shawn and Hunter. After 21, Hunter was still feuding with Dave until he moved to Smackdown. After 22, DX and the McMahons were the top story. And who was planned to go over Cena at 23? 

Loses to Daniel Bryan, then takes the feature spot on TV in the feud with the Shield. If you lose a match and then are pushed as the feature star afterwards anyway, it's not really putting them over, it's losing a match, which can help, but its all in the follow-up. If you asked Goldberg how much Hogan did for him in July 98, he'd have raved about how he put him over. Ask him 8 months later, and people did on radio shows, he had a completely different answer.

Reigns was having trouble with the fans, but he'd started to turn it around a bit. When he beat Sheamus for the belt, the Philly crowd was all in on Roman. Then HHH came along and completed fucked it for him. HHH in a meeting in 2005 buried Angle for Cena getting cheered, saying it proved Angle couldn't work as a true heel. And then he does the same thing and uses it to try and get himself over saying Cena wasn't a good wrestler for a cheap pop from the people looking to pile on. 

I'd maintain the only person he ever actually helped was Batista.

As an friendly aside, the idea of Montreal being a work has always been absurd to me. 

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I've never really bought that Triple H had anything to do with the Screwjob. He was The Other Guy in The Kliq, not someone who would have had Vince's ear about main event booking decisions or how to resolve significant issues, and I don't recall him ever fitting into the version of events as told by Russo or Cornette or anyone else who was actually there, or Triple H's name being associated with the Screwjob at all before he was firmly ensconced in the corridors of power.

It always felt to me like Triple H was taking the heat for Michaels once his own position was firmly secured.

In Michael's book he discusses in detail the phone call between Vince, himself and Brisco and specifically mentions it was Triple H who chimed in with "Look I know I may be out of line, here, but maybe we should do business for this guy" or thereabouts. Coke addled memory aside, it seems like an odd thing for Shawn to bullshit about, although it's never really come up in many other discourses/media about the screwjob despite how blatant it was outlined in his book. 

Anyway Triple H is the man. Plenty of dirt on his record, but something about him still sends him to the top of the trash pile for me. Loves his family, loves the business and kept his nose out of the shittier extracurricular aspects of it. He's nearly the missing part of Vince that can go on chat shows as an executive and still retain some awareness of the world outside of wrestling and bat questions about other popular culture. 

He's not mugshot quality, is Hunter Hearst. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

On the ‘it created the evil Mr McMahon character’ as part of the argument that Montreal was a work. I could be wrong but wasn’t it common knowledge back then that Vince thought it was going to make him a mega babyface? I’m sure people who were in the WWF at the time have said that in shoot interviews and podcasts haven’t they? So I’ve always doubted that it was the plan from Vince all along to make himself the big heel coming off it. That and Austin’s rise coming at the same time was the happiest of all accidents.