This Time with Alan Partridge

chokeout

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DCW said:

I've never watched the one show, but thats some astoundingly random collection of guests. Like they just kidnapped guests at a film premiere or something!

Close. I am certain everyone other then Russell Crowe was their to promote the Young Frankenstein musical that was opening in London.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:04 PM, SuperBacon said:

What I love about the Alan interactions with Simon is that it REALLY brings out his nasty dark side.

I think with Jennie and Ruth, he is being an absolute arsehole obviously, but he's doing that to make himself look good, most of the time. 

With Simon, he seems like he is just revelling in his misfortune, and it shows his really awful side. There's no attempt to help, he just loves seeing him drown.

Top stuff from everyone involved.

He's really ramping this up, and I hope Simon ends up chinning him.

This episode was unreal. When he was struggling with that cocktail mixer, I absolutely lost it. His drunken unravelling was just magic.

I love when you're reminded of just what a tragic bastard Partridge really is, and the SAS segment was perfect. His "Oh Alan" shows just how disappointed he is when he's shown up in front of people he desperately wants to impress.

"Grandad Graham"

Superb episode. Possibly the best of This Time overall.

Also, spotted these in the credits for the first time. Firstly, there's nothing actually on his fork.

spacer.png

And secondly, well it's self explanatory.

spacer.png

• Paid Members

It was pointed out in the first episode that he had a deal with a sock maker to show their products on TV, and I can't stop laughing at how awkwardly he sits on the sofa to try and get them in shot in every episode now.

25 minutes ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

The taking the knee line had me in hysterics.

I must admit, I am watching the episodes a couple of times and generally in am finding a lot that I missed first time round.

It's the most layered Partridge there has ever been. The 'gag' rate is incredibly high.

• Paid Members

I like the fact that Jenni almost entirely ignores Simon. Like, she has a job to do and her new co-host for reasons probably unknown to her, tows a piece of flotsam along with him, she’s in no way obligated to interact with him.

15 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Simon is getting comfy on that sofa, isn't he? I reckon he's going to end up as Alan's replacement.

Just watched last night's episode - definitely sowing that seed...but I can see it going down the route of Alan ramping up the negging and hostility feeling threatened by Simon's growing popularity, Simon lamps him as mentioned above and they both end up leaving the show, with Jenni's fiancé stepping in. Alan's fragile ego destroying someone else's career once again - which is classic Partridge.

This week was great, others have covered the best bits - never been a fan of Tim Key but he's been note perfect on this show. Simon seems to be growing in confidence week on week - and the mannerisms and tics throughout have been spot on in conveying that.

I’m not one to complain, but I was surprised they kept in the gag about Israel/Palestein. 

Not sure how soon in advance these are filmed, but this episode airing couldn’t be timed worse than what’s been going on this week!

• Awards Moderator
20 hours ago, Chris B said:

Simon is getting comfy on that sofa, isn't he? I reckon he's going to end up as Alan's replacement.

Definitely. Him being so comfortable signing the show off on Friday was a great seed.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they announced him as the new presenter on the last episode, with Alan completely unaware, but that would back up Pat’s post about it not being realistic as the BBC would have ways of doing things.

But I don’t care. I want to see it. It’d be the perfect car crash way to end the series.

• Paid Members

I lost my shit when Matt Smith turned up. 

I like how Partridge is unravelling more and more week by week. If Simon doesn't get his job it'll be Jennie's fiance. I wonder what part the makeup lady is going to play in his ultimate downfall as well. 

Was it just me, or did they cut away from him slipping after his "who dares wins" monologue? It was literally blink and you miss it. 

The SAS bit was great, but not as good as watching him getting carried away with the cocktails.