This Time with Alan Partridge

chokeout

I suppose in the world of This Time having Sam be the guy to replace Alan makes sense as he used to stand in for the previous guy but seeing Simon get his moment and replace Alan would be great. I'm torn because it's impossible to have too much Simon Farnaby on TV but Simon really deserves it

7 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

I suppose in the world of This Time having Sam be the guy to replace Alan makes sense as he used to stand in for the previous guy but seeing Simon get his moment and replace Alan would be great. I'm torn because it's impossible to have too much Simon Farnaby on TV but Simon really deserves it

I see it being like the scene in Waynes World where Wayne gets fired (SPOILER) and Garth has to present on his own and just totally freezes up. Simon will be like a rabbit in the headlights. It will be fantastic.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

I think Alan is going to either end up exposing Farnaby's character as a bit of a wrong'un, or end up in a really embarrassing fight with him that ends up costing him the job.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think Alan is going to either end up exposing Farnaby's character as a bit of a wrong'un, or end up in a really embarrassing fight with him that ends up costing him the job.

I would actually love it to be the former, with Alan jubilantly exposing him as a massive shit on air while Jenny is just in pieces.

17 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I would actually love it to be the former, with Alan jubilantly exposing him as a massive shit on air while Jenny is just in pieces.

That's the thing with him isn't it? Partridge is an absolute twat, but he's OUR absolute twat.

I loved seeing him get one over on the Guardian journalist. 

Partridge making a prat of himself=good.

Other people making him look a prat=bad.

His relationship with Simon is fascinating. I've been rewatching the 1st series and when Simon awkwardly asks that girl out live on air, Alan gets protective and says "Look after him", in a genuinely thoughtful way.

Its the Michael/Tex dynamic again, in that Alan does genuinely care about them, but only when they give him their full attention. As soon as that's in danger he goes on the attack. 

Mad bastard.

It also reminded me of the section where he gives up meat and sings "You and IIIIIIIII ate a saaaauuusaaaage saaandwiiiiich" which I can't stop singing.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

It just feels like that's brewing - Alan called him out last series on only being where he is because his dad was high up in the BBC, and this series drew attention to a few points about him being a privileged public school type and out of touch with it. It's clear that he's a smarmy careerist, and I think Alan's going to stumble on something that exposes his engagement to Jennie as nothing more than a calculated PR move - the only question being whether Jennie is in on it as well. Alternatively, I can see him coming across evidence to suggest that's the case, completely misreading the situation, and making a tit of himself trying to "expose" them when actually it's all above board.

I watched an interview with Coogan for the BFI and has said that he doesn't want to see Partridge humiliated  any more as he genuinely cares about him. I think the Gibbons have added a layer of pathos to Alan which was perhaps missing in the earlier incarnation. I can well see him being fired but having a sort of redemptive button at the end.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It just feels like that's brewing - Alan called him out last series on only being where he is because his dad was high up in the BBC, and this series drew attention to a few points about him being a privileged public school type and out of touch with it. It's clear that he's a smarmy careerist, and I think Alan's going to stumble on something that exposes his engagement to Jennie as nothing more than a calculated PR move - the only question being whether Jennie is in on it as well. Alternatively, I can see him coming across evidence to suggest that's the case, completely misreading the situation, and making a tit of himself trying to "expose" them when actually it's all above board.

Farnaby shagging the flirty makeup woman would be my bet 

• Paid Members

Some great cameos this series. 

I was waiting for some unraveling this episode, but glad it didn’t happen. Loved the Steel Drum opening and Queen game. In fact, the only parts of the episode I wasn’t keen on was the Chemsex segment which I thought was probably the weakest of his reports. 

• Paid Members

I genuinely experienced the pay off to the Queen songs to be Alan cutting Simon off at 11 then going to the end of the episode leaving him on 11, with we the viewer needing to remember/clock that it was going on, but not to be. Maybe that would have been too cruel even for Partridge.