Ken Shamrock (he isnt dead)

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Just thinking, it's amazing that Ken Shamrock had a MMA career considering what happened to him at the hands of Knobs and Sags. The story goes when they jumped him, he was pretty much close to death. His sternum was caved in and his head was like Frank Sidebottom. To think UFC 1 was only 3 years after it.

Add in the fact he look the hardest chair shots ever in the WWF, and I cant imagine how much of a mess this fucker is.  X-Pac said he used to hang with Kenny during the "meth" days of 2002 as well, so for me Shamrock is very underrated in the "most fucked up wrestler" league table. There's Jake and Scott Hall, but I'm putting Ken in as a rank outsider.

He was alright, though wasnt he? Of that era, most of it doesnt hold up, but 1997/98 Shamrock is someone who you'd think would have faired much better in the modern era.

• Awards Moderator

What happened with Knobbs and Sags? Didn’t know Ken had any wrestling involvement before he appeared in WWE in 97.

Shamrock definitely would have fared better in modern day WWE - he’d have surely had the title. I think it’s mostly the fact he was around in an era where the rise of the top stars was so stratospheric he was never going to reach the same level, but he is a clear highlight whenever I watch stuff from that period. Fantastic aura, decent matches, more over than people probably remember. Shamrock for Champion!

• Paid Members

We had an interview in VultureHound with Ken in December for anyone interested:

"The Hall of Fame is an opportunity for the fans to celebrate Owen Hart, it has nothing to do with Vince and WWE"

https://vulturehound.co.uk/2018/12/the-hall-of-fame-is-an-opportunity-for-the-fans-to-celebrate-owen-hart-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-vince-and-wwe-ken-shamrock-exclusive-interview/

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

What happened with Knobbs and Sags? Didn’t know Ken had any wrestling involvement before he appeared in WWE in 97.

Loads of it. His stuff in UWF and Pancrase is really fun.

Depending on what reports you believe, if Shamrock was as over the top angry as he was supposed to be when he burst into that room, taking that phone to the head probably spared him some serious jail time.

His fighting skills may not have held up so well as UFC gained popularity (he was already 38 when he fought Tito for the first time) but back in his younger days he was apparently a bit of a force. Couple his skills with the fact he'd have been 'roided up to fuck and you've got a combination that usually only ends badly.

When you read the stories and hear what people said about him in his younger days it's a wonder he hadn't killed someone by the time he hit his late 20's.

• Paid Members

I loved him. Totally bought into him as a dangerous, psychopathic, killer. I'd have accepted him beating anybody in '97, and in '98 when Austin was on top of the world, Shamrock being the next guy in the pecking chart right underneath would have worked I think, but it would have also been his limit at the time period.

If he was still kept strong however, he'd have been a damn fine choice as a transitional world champion during the latter part of 1999. 

He'd have worked a charm if he first came along in this day and age though, and from any time period of about 2007 onwards I'd imagine he would have had a run with one of the top belts. 

• Paid Members

That the WWF never did Shamrock/Severn was preposterous. I know Dan Severn was a poor fit for the Attitude Era, and they never really gave him the run he deserved, but having two of the biggest names of UFC under contract when they both had a win apiece, when the WWF had created a mock-UFC gimmick match as Shamrock's specialty? Those two in a Lion's Den match on PPV wrote itself.