Ken Shamrock (he isnt dead)

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Would love to see him in the hall of fame. Genuinely see him as a pioneer of the crossover style nearly everyone is trying to do nowadays.

I think of him every time I describe some pasty leisure centre weakling throwing strikes as "Kenny Kickpads." Usually up against a backyardy springboarder a/k/a The Pleather Clad Lad.

I only got back into wrestling around 98-99, that WWF Warzone era, by which time I think the push for Kenny into the main event spot had cooled. He was still prominent in the Corporation but was back to being one of the pack. But you look at him in that 97 run, the calmer Kenny in the red robe, and you totally buy him as a legit contender. He looked boss, was solid as a rock in ring, and had the aura and reputation that, despite his obvious working experience, gave him a vibe of possibly shooting any moment. Some of his counters were revolutionary in Pro wrestling at the time - rather than Angle telegraphing it, Shamrock's ankle lock felt like it could come out of nowhere, like the Diamond Cutter. Among Austin, Hart, and Vader, he didn't look out of place, and if he turned up today he'd be on a mega push in weeks. And yeah, only guy to make kick pads look hard as fuck.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

Just finished his book. The one from just a few months ago.

My god, talk about someone that just constantly made bad decisions and seemed like their own worst enemy . 

Harsh to read that before Impact he was living in a trailer with no running water . 

Mental, really. He was headlining for Bellator against Kimbo Slice not too long ago and must have got semi decent coin for it. Was winning and looked like a fix to me as well. Then he was KOd by Royce, but took a low blow just before it.

The Slice fight was odd. Had him in a rear naked choke but you can blatantly see he doesn't lock it in and then takes a shot and it ls over. 

That 3rd Gracie fight was very strange! 

The bout lasts seconds, they go to clinch and Gracie blatantly kicks him in the nuts. Shamrock obviously grabs his bits in pain and then Gracie dives on him to finish him off. Should have been a DQ! 

Always surprised he never did go back to Wwe, however I imagine since he's was still gassed to the hilt or wasn't an option. 

6 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

The Slice fight was odd. Had him in a rear naked choke but you can blatantly see he doesn't lock it in and then takes a shot and it ls over. 

That 3rd Gracie fight was very strange! 

The bout lasts seconds, they go to clinch and Gracie blatantly kicks him in the nuts. Shamrock obviously grabs his bits in pain and then Gracie dives on him to finish him off. Should have been a DQ! 

Always surprised he never did go back to Wwe, however I imagine since he's was still gassed to the hilt or wasn't an option. 

Yep the Gracie fight was very unfortunate for him and I am 99% sure he took a dive with Slice. His MMA career was basically a complete failure post WWF.

Is he still with Impact now? Despite it being a pretty rough past 20 years from him, he still has name recognition and he does look in decent nick for his age.

Sad to hear a guy who is a UFC HOFer didnt even have running water.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HeavyT said:

Is he still with Impact now? Despite it being a pretty rough past 20 years from him, he still has name recognition and he does look in decent nick for his age.

Yup, and considering his age he can still go.

Although from what I've seen of him he's also booked in a bay to protect his failings, which are understandable given his seniority.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

He seems to think that he was blacklisted from WWE - combination of no-showing events while he was there, and not getting on with Triple H, apparently.

Is his book any good? 

How honest is he about his juice use? You can tell how much he's been on. He is still on a hell of a lot of it now. Had he focused on Wrestling he likely would have done well yet it was a flying visit until he headed back to MMA.

That Moose Shamrock promo is decent, and despite having not watched impact in donkeys, they occasionally get me to watch one match with videos like this. 

Yeah he pretty much fesses’ up to the steroid use in PC way. Saying he needed hormone replacement therapy to get him back to what he was normally .

He also says about how he got caught with dirty tests. Doesn’t make a big deal out of it but doesn’t shy away from it.

Yea I would recommend the book , got it on Kindle and was a very good read. It’s a biography by Jonathan Snowden who has done some great books. 

He was a maniac for the drugs and women in the 90’s . Folks said he had built up a tolerance and would take E’s like they were candy.

Alicia (Ryan Shamrock) seemed like a terrible influence on him .

He kinda pulled one over on WWE and he had trademarked “The Rock” and some other terms they used. So legally he had them by the balls and they didn’t like it at all.

11 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Yup, and considering his age he can still go.

Although from what I've seen of him he's also booked in a bay to protect his failings, which are understandable given his seniority.

He looks like Morrissey finding out about #BlackLivesMatter in the thumbnail there,