2019 Daisy-Pushing Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Aye. My fondest (and maybe first) memory of him was when he did 'An Audience with...' and my young self was hurting from laughing. I remember the press hyping it up as something forbidden and edgy the day before - this was a time when I found the 18 on a video to be proper alluring, even Rambo 3.

I watched 'An Audience with...' a couple of years ago and, of course, not one laugh throughout, which was a shame because it is a cherished memory from the past.

He's definitely a horrid twat.

• Paid Members

Didn't he get Yewtreed? Or at least they turned up and he dropped off the RADAR after clearing his name? 

• Paid Members

When I was a kid it was always a highlight when he popped up on Des O'Connor once a series, almost as much as when Barrymore was a guest.

Bad kid I was.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Didn't he get Yewtreed? Or at least they turned up and he dropped off the RADAR after clearing his name? 

He got arrested but never charged then tried to sue the woman who accused him, for defamation and lost when the court decided she was telling the truth. He did a runner when he got landed with the court costs and had been living abroad ever since. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

When I was a kid it was always a highlight when he popped up on Des O'Connor once a series, almost as much as when Barrymore was a guest.

Bad kid I was.

Peter Kay tries the same act when he's on a chat show. The "oh, they'll cut this out" routine. Only Kay is so contrived, there's no danger at all. Where as you'd imagine Freddie Starr would have had his cock out in seconds.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Peter Kay tries the same act when he's on a chat show. The "oh, they'll cut this out" routine. Only Kay is so contrived, there's no danger at all. Where as you'd imagine Freddie Starr would have had his cock out in seconds.

For me, that's probably the most annoying thing about Kay (floating on the sea of sewage he issues forth) - there's no bite to any of his work, yet he behaves like there is. That Britain's Got The Pop Factor crap a few years ago, for example - parodies only work when you're actually making fun of the things you're parodying, not effectively sucking up to Cowell and co. Feels like he's trying to be "state-sponsored" edgy comedy, i.e. not edgy at all.

Edited by Carbomb

16 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That Britain's Got The Pop Factor crap a few years ago, for example - parodies only work when you're actually making fun of the things your parodying

I think another reason it was shite is because what he was trying to parody is beyond parody.  I mean, nothing he could come up with will be as funny as the "Come on move your body" lad on Mysterious Girl or Onkar Judge.

7 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

He managed to Yewtree himself.  He was accused of groping a teenage girl, the CPS decided not to prosecute but he thought he'd sue his accuser.  The judge found in her favour, saying that her testimony was compelling.

EDIT: someone already said this, whoops.

Edited by Loki

Seen him in Spain a few times, he always seemed happy enough and didn't look to play the Billy Big Bollocks part either, but I can see why he moved out there. It's like Blackpool 1986 in many areas. I remember going into a newsagents run by a older British fella and he took great delight in telling me he was the first on the coast to have a fax machine that was available to the public.

The fucker was still running to that day, only €0.20 a sheet. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think another reason it was shite is because what he was trying to parody is beyond parody.  I mean, nothing he could come up with will be as funny as the "Come on move your body" lad on Mysterious Girl or Onkar Judge.

It's the similar reason none of those Friedberg and Seltzer spoofs work at all. They always pick subjects that are, in some cases, already spoofs, which makes no sense at all. Or subjects they have no affection for.

You think about Young Frankenstein, for instance. One of the main reasons it works is because Mel Brooks was a huge fan of the source material and had huge respect for it. Similar with Blazing Saddles. Kay had nothing but contempt for what he was mocking and it shone through in how unfunny and occasionally mean-spirited it was.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

He started that "Rock Starr Ate My Hamster" game with that headline, which was an absolutely brilliant game and anybody trying it now would be sued into oblivion.

"How much do you want to spend on rent boys for E**** J*** ?"

Just protecting the forum there.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

He started that "Rock Starr Ate My Hamster" game with that headline, which was an absolutely brilliant game and anybody trying it now would be sued into oblivion.

"How much do you want to spend on rent boys for E**** J*** ?"

Just protecting the forum there.

Rock star Ate My Hamster was a fun game. All the characters therein had nice parody names so they were probably safe legally.