Dave Meltzer

Brewster McCloud

1 hour ago, Daddymagic said:

After they had been out scooped (again) Bryan Alvarez tweeted that Miro and Punk had got into too. 

Which was quickly dismissed by everyone as "bants" between the two. 

Meltzer and Alvarez haven't been relevant or accurate ever since they tied their mast fully to the Elite and were no longer impartial. 

Kids, stay away from that guys house. 

He reads Nick Hausman's stuff and believes it

2 hours ago, Daddymagic said:

After they had been out scooped (again) Bryan Alvarez tweeted that Miro and Punk had got into too. 

Which was quickly dismissed by everyone as "bants" between the two. 

Which doesn't really matter for the Choose Your Own Adventure that is the wrestling fandom.

A) It was playful banter

B) Its PR / Damage Control

1 hour ago, LEGIT said:

Now we've got a third of version of events which an unnamed random source cites Punk as 100% aggressor. It's just the usual complete bullshit conjecture where people find a story that make their favourites seem good and stick to that. The dirt sheets might as well say, we don't know what happened, it's anyone's guess.

There's been more than 3 versions. Just the more sensational ones get bandied about. Which is why its so easy to tune out.

4 hours ago, David said:

Yeah, you're not getting the comparison. I'm saying that just like those gossip mags seem to thrive and live on spreading rumours and bullshit about Harry and Meghan, you have to think that Meltzer and Alvarez (along with the plethora of Facebook wrestling groups) are loving the fact that any kind of report involving Punk is pulling in the clicks and interactions from both sides of the AEW Elite/Punk divide. That's why the guy can't take a shit without someone sending a full report to Meltzer, commenting on how the smell upset Wardlow or something.

As unlikable as Punk is, he can't seem to do anything right in the eyes of some. Christ, even when he supports worthwhile causes, donating all proceeds from the merchandise he's selling, which is quite considerable if the numbers from PWT is to be believed, there's people saying he's just jumping on the bandwagon, or that he doesn't mention the cause every week so he must be at it.

If he did turn around tomorrow and quit, disappearing from the industry to watch hockey and hang out with Larry, the likes of Meltzer and similar "reporters" would see a fairly sizeable dip in traffic I reckon.

Just like those gossip mags thrive on Harry and Meghan stories would suffer a fairly sizeable drop in traffic and sales if the couple actually did want privacy and dropped out of sight.

Ah apologies. Meghan and Harry felt like a very specific reference point so I didn't realise you were comparing them to every media outlet. 

You're right. It'd probably suck for Meltzer and Alvarez if all they had to talk about was the biggest paid wrestling show of all time because it wouldn't give them the same number of clicks. Bet AEW would prefer it though. 

Didn't see this posted anywhere else here... 

Old Dave's ratings for All In 23'...

• Aussie Open (c) vs. MJF & Adam Cole – ROH World Tag Team Titles **3/4
  • Jack Perry (c) vs. Hook – FTW Title ***1/4
  • CM Punk (c) vs. Samoa Joe – “Real” World Title ***1/2
  • Bullet Club Gold vs. The Golden Elite ****1/2
  • FTR (c) vs. The Young Bucks – AEW World Tag Team Titles ****3/4
  • Best Friends, Orange Cassidy, Penta & Eddie Kingston vs. Blackpool Combat Club, Santana & Ortiz ****1/2
  • Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Saraya vs. Toni Storm vs. Britt Baker – AEW Women’s World Title **3/4
  • Darby Allin & Sting vs. Swerve Strickland & Christian Cage ****1/4
  • Will Ospreay vs. Chris Jericho ****3/4
  • The House of Black (c) vs. The Acclaimed – AEW World Trios Title **1/2
  • MJF (c) vs. Adam Cole – AEW World Title ****1/2

I have no idea where he gets these ratings from  or what criteria he uses. How on earth did he rate Jericho v Ospreay, the 6 man ft Omega or FTR v Bucks as 4.5+* ? 

He has lost all credibility some time back, but it just goes to show how bias he is about his lads. Those matches in the same league as Michaels v Taker HIAC or Hart v Austin WM13?  Ludicrous. 

1.) I dunno why anyone would care about his ratings.

2.) If you do though, I'm not sure it's helpful comparing something that happened 25 odd years ago to something that happened6 days ago.

That's like trying to compare Pele to Messi or something. It cannot be fairly compared and there are too many factors to take into account. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Didn't see this posted anywhere else here... 

Old Dave's ratings for All In 23'...

If only the event had a thread, maybe they’d have been posted there.

58 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Meltzer has said probably thousands of times that the match ratings he gives are just one dude's opinion about how much he liked the match. Yet, still, a bunch of people can't help but go "how could he give that match only x stars?! Biased Dave!"

Yeah it mostly seems to be fans that tend to push his ratings as gospel or people that don't like him or whatever he rated, who have a sulk.

Not really a fan of him but dont think he's ever been particularly shy about his personal biases.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members

One man’s bias is one thing and perfectly valid.

What I personally find annoying is how much credence is given to his match ratings, like they’re an objective judge’s score at the Boxing or Olympic diving.

I’d have given most of Hogan’s big matches in the 80’s close to 5 stars due to how epic they were, as I enjoy characters and huge built-up matches more than the technical aspect, workrate or how many wanky ROH moves are performed.

Most New Japan matches would rank low.

Its just as valid an opinion as Meltzer’s but everyone else is clearly permitted to call my ratings a load of bollocks too. 

Edited by garynysmon