Dave Meltzer

Brewster McCloud

On 5/14/2021 at 8:31 PM, RancidPunx said:

Here is a question:

How different would the wrestling industry be if Dave Meltzer didn't exist ?   

I honestly believe we wouldn't be here on this forum today, he essentially was the beginning of the IWC with his newsletters in the 80s, they provided information for the tape traders to search for.

and also absolutely nobody in the UK would watch Japanese Wrestling if it wasn't for him

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

I honestly believe we wouldn't be here on this forum today, he essentially was the beginning of the IWC with his newsletters in the 80s, they provided information for the tape traders to search for.

and also absolutely nobody in the UK would watch Japanese Wrestling if it wasn't for him

I'm not going to question his influence completely because it exists in loads of wrestling fans, even if you read PowerSlam or another Newsletter instead of the Observer but I doubt that's true. It'd be different - we probably wouldn't have ever rated matches in snowflakes or maybe discussed the minutiae to such a degree but the internet was coming with or without Dave Meltzer and as much as there were forums for every sport and sports team, for soaps, for films, for music, for everything, everyone would be discussing wrestling somewhere.

I've rarely been an Observer subscriber in my life and when I was, I was already a fully indoctrinated sad virgin wrestling fan for life.

Edited by tiger_rick

1 hour ago, theringmaster said:

Before Dave Meltzer there were guys like Burt Ray and Ron Dobratz who published insider newsletters long before the Observer was born.  Whilst he may have popularized the newsletter, he wasn't the first person to produce one by a long way.

I'm glad I never heard of Dave Meltzer when i was watching. I'm sure the experience would have been diluted if I was reading about workrate and stuff like kids do now, never mind having the matches spoilt. I don't think there's any doubt that he's had an influence on how wrestling is, every comment he makes seems to get picked up on. Fans grow up reading this, taking his word as gospel and some of them become wrestlers. For a guy who hated Andre-Hogan, The Ultimate Warrior and obssesses over workrate, Wrestling must be where he always wanted it to be now, lots of moves and no stars.

Edited by deathrides

44 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

Before Dave Meltzer there were guys like Burt Ray and Ron Dobratz who published insider newsletters long before the Observer was born.  Whilst he may have popularized the newsletter, he wasn't the first person to produce one by a long way.

Thats very interesting stuff.

Was the Observer the first newsletter to break kayfabe per se ?

I wonder what sort of difference he could have actually made though if he actually behaved like a journalist and challenged/investigated some of the darker stuff that's gone on in the industry throughout the last 30/35 years.  He probably wouldn't have maintained all his inside relationships but proper journalism (by him or anyone else) by people not afraid to be taken out of the loop would have been really interesting. 

He's basically given opinion pieces on the product for years and chronicled what's happened without actually really digging deep on some of the more unsavoury items.

On 6/7/2021 at 5:57 PM, kieranjennings said:

I wonder what sort of difference he could have actually made though if he actually behaved like a journalist and challenged/investigated some of the darker stuff that's gone on in the industry throughout the last 30/35 years.  He probably wouldn't have maintained all his inside relationships but proper journalism (by him or anyone else) by people not afraid to be taken out of the loop would have been really interesting. 

He's basically given opinion pieces on the product for years and chronicled what's happened without actually really digging deep on some of the more unsavoury items.

In what ways has he not behaved like a journalist  ?

3 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

In what ways has he not behaved like a journalist  ?

To repeat myself (Not like me, I know), a journalist doesn’t report “My sources are telling me it is raining outside my office. However, other people dispute that”. A journalist goes out and checks who is telling the truth. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

To repeat myself (Not like me, I know), a journalist doesn’t report “My sources are telling me it is raining outside my office. However, other people dispute that”. A journalist goes out and checks who is telling the truth. 

Remember when that used to be true?