All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I don't know if you were including my post about them, but I never used that metric. It was all in terms of themselves, what fans want from them, the quality of the product they put out, how much money they didn't make in comparison to what they could've been making, and the fact that most of their recent developments have been regressive, moving to smaller channels with fewer eyeballs. More importantly, it was also because, at one point, they weren't even paying their workers, which showed just how much the rot had set in.

To be honest, I don't really regard the current incarnation as even being the same company any more. There is hardly any link to the Dixie Carter era left, due to there now being different owners, roster and even backstage personnel for the most part. Its just a shame that the company had been run to the ground so badly until actual business people were able to take over.

It would have been interesting to see what Anthem and the current top brass could have achieved had they taken over in, say 2015, when Impact was badly on the slide but at least still on a decent (and more importantly, paying) broadcast outlet in Destination America. I do fear that no matter what they do now, that its too far gone due to no-one really being able to watch it in America. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

To be honest, I don't really regard the current incarnation as even being the same company any more. There is hardly any link to the Dixie Carter era left, due to there now being different owners, roster and even backstage personnel for the most part. Its just a shame that the company had been run to the ground so badly until actual business people were able to take over.

It would have been interesting to see what Anthem and the current top brass could have achieved had they taken over in, say 2015, when Impact was badly on the slide but at least still on a decent (and more importantly, paying) broadcast outlet in Destination America. I do fear that no matter what they do now, that its too far gone due to no-one really being able to watch it in America. 

Absolutely. From the sound of things, Anthem are doing a decent job, but the problem is simply that Carter and whoever else was running it under her damaged it almost irreparably. If the reports posted on here are to be believed, they're putting out a good product now, but it sounds like people have been bitten too often in the past to trust them again, and they never had a strong brand identity in the same way ECW had, or what AEW appear to be cultivating now. It's going to take something special to get them past this "glorified indy" hole that Carter dug them into.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Drfunke said:

When you listen to the Bruce Prichard podcasts, wrestlers eventually just took the piss out of TNA, so the talent themselves contributed a lot to the downfall, or lack of sucess

Prichard's a Southerner and a friend of Vince, so he's most likely a dyed-in-the-wool, yellow-dog Republican who probably thinks workers owe promoters their goodwill, should take being shafted without complaint, and that any reasonable human response to that (i.e. being pissed off and deciding not to put their best efforts in) is "taking the piss".

2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Agreed, which is why I think they should stop showing old TNA matches on their show - get rid entirely of the TNA stench. It's not needed. Keep the archive and use it if needed [I'm sure it is worth something even if just for AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Kurt Angle matches etc] but, as you say, they have spent the last year creating a new identity for themselves - it's Impact Wrestling now.
Now they need to spend the next few years building the new brand identity - they certainly have the talent to do it [Brian Cage, Killer Kross and Tessa Blanchard all look and carry themselves like stars in my opinion] and, as has been said, the product they are putting out has been decent for a while now.

I'm sure Callis, D'Amore and Anthem knew this would take years when they took the job, such was the damage Dixie and others did to the brand but, just over a year in, they are off to a decent start in my opinion.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Drfunke said:

When you listen to the Bruce Prichard podcasts, wrestlers eventually just took the piss out of TNA, so the talent themselves contributed a lot to the downfall, or lack of sucess

Wrestlers by and large do what they're told. You only have to look at the booking of their titles from 2007 onward to give you an idea of what transformed potentially loyal customers into bewildered head-scratchers thinking "Why do I watch this shit?" - myself included. And that's just the whore's duvet.

5 hours ago, Loki said:

All the TNA/Impact bashing is bewildering.  

It’s not that bewildering. TNA came along a year after WCW and ECW died - it was positioned as the new alternative to WWE, and carried all the expectations with it. And for the first seven years or so, it was the closest thing to a mainstream promotion that pushed the cruisers and gave divas a chance when Vince wouldn’t. Then they overstretched and tried to properly compete, which alienated their “Vince sux, we want six sides” fanbase and completely failed to draw a new one. The promotion then spent years falling further and further downhill, at the same time that tons of alternative promotions sprung up. 

Basically, to a WWE fan, TNA just had loads to laugh at. And for an anti-WWE fan, TNA was a disappointing letdown that left a bitter taste by not meeting its supposed potential.

To be honest part of TNA's problem was getting what they said they needed. They were always going to be inferior but they could say "if only we had weekly television," "if only we had primetime" or "If only we were live for 2 hours every Monday." Then one by one they got everything people said they needed to compete and it exposed them. They were no longer the little company that maybe could but the company that really couldn't. They changed from an alternative to a disappointment. The fans that forgave them a lot of shit stopped being so loyal then. 

The fact that the one show you could somewhat attribute to AEW was essentially a WWE pastiche and that they're supposedly in line for a weekly 2 hour show suggests that they're not going to much of an alternative either. 

The main problem with TNA now is that it's completely irrelevant. There's just nothing about it. It just exists there and has absolutely no impact on the industry whatsoever.

It's frustrating because it did go through phases of feeling like a real alternative and having a chance at being something. Now it's just something people easily forget.

Longevity is something I suppose, but a lot of people had far higher hopes and expectations for TNA and they've rarely been fulfilled.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Basically, to a WWE fan, TNA just had loads to laugh at. And for an anti-WWE fan, TNA was a disappointing letdown that left a bitter taste by not meeting its supposed potential.

Copy this paragraph, change "TNA" to "AEW", and paste it somewhere safe for a few years' time. Just in case.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Manchester's Fab Cafe is having one of their PPV parties for Double Or Nothing.  The WWE ones are enjoyable and I'm sure this will be as well.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2155202704595408/

EDIT - It isn't being shown live, it's on the Monday.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Wow, that is one hell of a promo!

"I'm not here to kill Dustin Rhodes. I'm here to kill the Attitude Era".

Nothing says alternative to WWE quite like using a 20 year old WWE period as part of a build up to a match.