All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I miss when all the thieving material jokes on here were about Chili.

I'm sure he'll be saying much the same on his Twitter in about an hour.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Bit bored of the talk now if I'm honest. Wish we could fast forward and get to the regular product and see if they can walk the walk too.

Agreed.

Its tiresome being exposed to months of “Oh, AEW will be this that and the other” yet as far as I can see, the roster consists of Cody’s mates, Jim Ross and a bunch of wrestlers you’d not be surprised to see pop up on MLW, ROH or Impact.

It may just be a relfection on the lack of real stars outside of the WWE sphere that are still active, but its pretty underwhelming.

26 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

It may just be a relfection on the lack of real stars outside of the WWE sphere that are still active, but its pretty underwhelming.

TNA had all the real stars a company could ask for, and they still failed miserably. AEW will do well if they can present something fun to watch and make fans want to watch it. So far they are doing a great job on that.

Remember Lockdown 2013 had an attendance of 7,200. All In had over 10,000 and Double Or Nothing sold out in half hour. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

"Underwhelming" from the person who keeps trying to tell us Impact wasn't bad! Cone on, Gar!

TNA were in a position to sign Sting, Foley, Angle, Hulk Hogan, Nash etc.

As I noted in my post, its a reflection that there's just no huge names out there any more that can make an Impact (pardon the pun), other than a 48 year old Chris Jericho who's older now than all of the above were (with the exception of Hogan), when debuting with TNA. 

• Paid Members

Too much attention being paid to the roster for my book, in the history of promotions outside WWE carving out their own niche and obtaining any level of success or sustained survival, it's always been about the whole being more than the sum of its parts. The presentation both in ring and of the TV product using a granola of wrestlers (or grapnola) you can see in a variety of other feds, will have to differentiate itself from said other feds for interest to be sustained and other than Kenny, Cody, The Bucks, Pac and Jericho, the rest of the roster they use isn't going to determine whether they merely survive or thrive. It's going to be what its like to watch overall. World of Sport had a roster that should have piqued my interest as a BritWres fan keen to watch BritWres on telly but the presentation knackered them. Elite are going to be putting the same wrestlers into your eyes that you could already have been watching if you chose to wherever they were working before but if they get onto a winning formula of good matches in a novel style of presentation or storytelling then people will bite.

Still think we're looking at a 1PW in waiting story.

It is becoming a bit in danger of not being able to live up to the hype.
Although I've personally not seen anything to get overly excited about, the danger will be that everyone is promoting this like its the second coming or something when in reality it will be just another show. Much needed in the current climate for wrestlers to have alternatives places to work etc but I'm reminded of an interview Cactus Jack did after his first ever match with Sabu. A perfectly decent match for the time yet many felt disappointed by it. Heyman said 'Don't you see, Cactus? They thought the were going to see someone die'. - indeed, the first ever match between two insane, risk taking maniacs had been built up so much in peoples minds that nothing less than near death would have lived up to the hype.

It's a similar, yet different, scenario here. Anything other than the best show there has ever been [which it won't be] and there will be a distinct amount of disappointment given all the hype.