All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

I don’t have an issue with how the attitude era has been used for the match because it makes sense. The All In match was about his Dad and now the second match is with his brother. Sure you could tell a story without mentioning the most important part of Dustin’s career, but can’t begrudge them for using this story for this match. 

I enjoyed the promo and I enjoyed the one Dustin did. I also really liked how he mentioned both The Rock and Punk, probably knowing it will encourage rumours and speculation 

3 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I also really liked how he mentioned both The Rock and Punk, probably knowing it will encourage rumours and speculation 

You mean Cody doesn’t legitimately think that the Punk pipebomb was better than anything The Rock did in his prime?!

But I though Cody was a delusional idiot and bad wrestler and that AEW is doomed for failure :(

2 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

You mean Cody doesn’t legitimately think that the Punk pipebomb was better than anything The Rock did in his prime?!

But I though Cody was a delusional idiot and bad wrestler and that AEW is doomed for failure :(

Maybe it is more to his personal taste, but if you want to make a few bullet points on how modern wrestling is better than the attitude era there are a lot more easy targets than the ones he purposely chose. He said it knowing it would get a reaction 

It's a shit way to build the match. 

You've got two brothers, sons of a legend, who've taken rather different paths in wrestling, who had vastly different relationships with their father, and instead you talk about people that aren't ever going to appear on your show. It's not so much that Cody mentions the Attitude Era but that what he's saying has bugger all to do with Goldust. He could talk about Dustin selling his name and whoring his integrity to become Goldust or about him hiding behind the face paint or anything but it's not even that. 

Instead the build for this match is that Attitude Era guys are washed up, that the current guys are better, that a promo from years ago was better than even older promos and that the women are now allowed to wrestle beyond bra and panties in the WWE. Weirdly it mentions what the WWE is doing right while also suggesting that one of AEW's main matches is a dead horse from an era of shit wrestlers. 

You can't even call it lazy because it's so over written. It's like people sat around trying to work out how to get Attitude Era, The Rock, CM Punk and Bra and Panties in a promo. 

Maybe that's overly critical but that promo actually talked me out of the one potential storyline that I thought might be interesting. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Vamp said:

It's a shit way to build the match. 

You've got two brothers, sons of a legend, who've taken rather different paths in wrestling, who had vastly different relationships with their father, and instead you talk about people that aren't ever going to appear on your show. It's not so much that Cody mentions the Attitude Era but that what he's saying has bugger all to do with Goldust. He could talk about Dustin selling his name and whoring his integrity to become Goldust or about him hiding behind the face paint or anything but it's not even that. 

Instead the build for this match is that Attitude Era guys are washed up, that the current guys are better, that a promo from years ago was better than even older promos and that the women are now allowed to wrestle beyond bra and panties in the WWE. Weirdly it mentions what the WWE is doing right while also suggesting that one of AEW's main matches is a dead horse from an era of shit wrestlers. 

You can't even call it lazy because it's so over written. It's like people sat around trying to work out how to get Attitude Era, The Rock, CM Punk and Bra and Panties in a promo. 

Maybe that's overly critical but that promo actually talked me out of the one potential storyline that I thought might be interesting. 

Absolutely agreed. The bit in bold - I would have loved it if he'd done that. Go full-on hypocrite heel.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Nothing says fresh new alternative like booking Goldustin.

It might not be fresh and new but it's and interesting and intelligent acquisition. Someone with name value, experience and great ability. At this point given some are moaning about booking their mates, some are moaning about booking indy nobodies and some are moaning about booking a guy like Dustin, I don't think they can win. Fortunately, they don't sem to care and are just cracking on which is sensible.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It might not be fresh and new but it's and interesting and intelligent acquisition. Someone with name value, experience and great ability. At this point given some are moaning about booking their mates, some are moaning about booking indy nobodies and some are moaning about booking a guy like Dustin, I don't think they can win. Fortunately, they don't sem to care and are just cracking on which is sensible.

I agree it's all about putting on a good product and selling matches people might want to watch but one of the biggest criticisms against TNA was that they changed things so much and so often that you could never get behind the "identity" of the company - Elite pushing themselves as a new refreshing direction but using guys like Dustin and JR screams that they haven't figured out what they want to be.

Unless they want to be 1PW.