All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Making the match about the Attitude Era vs. Modern Era rather than Cody vs Dustin is a huge mis-step - @Vamp is exactly right that not only is it ignoring obvious stories, it's downplaying one of the wrestlers in the match by saying they're representative of an era that's washed up and over-exposed.

If they're not bringing in CM Punk (which I 100% believe they're not), why argue that his promo is better than The Rock? It has no bearing on Cody or Dustin, unless you see them as representative of two eras - and was that the story anyone wanted from this match? Why would Cody big up CM Punk rather than oh, I don't know, Cody Rhodes? It's all a bit too cute.

Now, fair enough, there's still time before the match and they might build on this. But it feels like a major misstep as far as storytelling is concerned.

Not to mention that a significant amount of their potential fanbase will be "BRING BACK THE ATTITUDE ERA" types, so having your flagship star, the face of the company, and for all extents and purposes one of the owners of the company - even if he is working heel - slag that era off (while also trying to flog you knock-off Billy Gunn merch, and bringing in Jim Ross) is a bit daft.

Have it be about Dustin being jealous of the independence Cody has. Have it be about Dustin thinking Cody was the favourite son. Have it being Dustin trying to prevent Cody from making the mistakes he made. Have it be a friendly rivalry turned vicious. Have it be Dustin taking exception to Cody leaving him out of the post-Dusty narrative. Have it be Cody thinking Dustin was ashamed of the Rhodes name, or that he made a mockery of the name, or that he prostituted himself by continuing to be Goldust. 

There's hundreds of notes they can hit in this angle, and I think that's one of the reasons people were excited when it was announced. No one outside of Cody Rhodes was framing it as somehow The Rock vs. CM Punk by proxy.

To be fair, the match isn’t about Attitude Era vs Modern Era. The whole video doesn’t focus around that, it’s a four minute promo and only talks about it in the second half. 

The match is Cody vs Dustin, which is a follow up to Cody wrestling for Dusty. 

Dustin won’t be a star in this company if he shares the ring with with anyone else. He isn’t a star being brought in, it is two brothers doing a match they’ve always wanted to. It’s just gonna be a feel good moment, probably followed by retirement for Dustin and a backstage position. 

Anyone who thinks Dustin shouldn’t have a road agent position at AEW is a nonce.  

Yeah I'm not sure why they have gone down this route. The story to be told is staring them in the face. Sure have Cody make a throwaway line about it, but the whole thing should be about their ACTUAL history. Seriously, who thought this was the way to go?

• Paid Members

It's rescuable, though. Just have Cody cut various promos, each one coming out with yet another excuse as to why they're fighting, and have Dustin call him out, telling him to cut the bullshit and just admit he wants to fight Dustin because he's resentful because of their dysfunctional relationship as siblings. 

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Making the match about the Attitude Era vs. Modern Era rather than Cody vs Dustin is a huge mis-step - @Vamp is exactly right that not only is it ignoring obvious stories, it's downplaying one of the wrestlers in the match by saying they're representative of an era that's washed up and over-exposed.

If they're not bringing in CM Punk (which I 100% believe they're not), why argue that his promo is better than The Rock? It has no bearing on Cody or Dustin, unless you see them as representative of two eras - and was that the story anyone wanted from this match? Why would Cody big up CM Punk rather than oh, I don't know, Cody Rhodes? It's all a bit too cute.

There's hundreds of notes they can hit in this angle, and I think that's one of the reasons people were excited when it was announced. No one outside of Cody Rhodes was framing it as somehow The Rock vs. CM Punk by proxy.

It’s like Cody really wanted to do a “my dad was a better promo than your dad” feud, but had to change some of the details because he ended up booking himself against someone who had the same dad as him.

• Paid Members

Another wrinkle in the Cody promo is that he spends far too long responding to a throwaway joke by Triple H. Something I've liked about AEW so far is that the promotion itself, unlike so many of the fans, has never really presented itself as a WWE rival - they're just doing their own thing.

But to take the time to seriously, at length, respond to what was clearly a throwaway joke on a show hardly anyone watched, just makes Cody (and, by extension AEW) look easily wound up, overly defensive, and bush league. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Another wrinkle in the Cody promo is that he spends far too long responding to a throwaway joke by Triple H. Something I've liked about AEW so far is that the promotion itself, unlike so many of the fans, has never really presented itself as a WWE rival - they're just doing their own thing.

But to take the time to seriously, at length, respond to what was clearly a throwaway joke on a show hardly anyone watched, just makes Cody (and, by extension AEW) look easily wound up, overly defensive, and bush league. 

Does it really matter? Don't get me wrong, I fundamentally agree with the points made and it's not how I would do it. Think we all agree that "They've got no history" is a laughably stupid point to make. And long-term, they don't want to be making things more about WWE than themselves. But currently, this only exists as a web show with a very specific audience who get all of this shit and, in truth, eat it up. So it's harmless. When this opens up into a (hopefully) big time TV show with a broader audience, they need to leave this tuff behind but for now, I don't think it matters. And it's certainly got more to it than Adam Page fighting Pac for daring to walk on a stage or whatever that's about.

I agree with Maxwell generally, I think they're dropping names for "buzz". I think that's irrelevent too. No-one outside of a YouTube commenter is buying it.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

But currently, this only exists as a web show with a very specific audience who get all of this shit and, in truth, eat it up. So it's harmless. When this opens up into a (hopefully) big time TV show with a broader audience, they need to leave this tuff behind but for now, I don't think it matters.

This is the thing, isn't it? 

It's just that, right now, it's all we have to go on. I doubt this is the path they'd have taken if they had TV, but we don't know until they do. So as far as speculating and commenting on how things are going, we can only work with what we're given. But come show day, it could well be that none of this matters. The build to 99% of All-In didn't matter at all, and what build was reflected on the show was largely inane talking boots shit comedy, but people seem to have enjoyed it all the same.

To add to your point, though, just for context, Cody's promo has 188,164 views. A Lacey Evans vs. Becky Lynch segment uploaded 10 hours ago has 477K. The Rollins/Styles contract signing angle has 669K. WWE's "Top 10 Superstars Used As Weapons" (uploaded less than 24 hours ago) has 522K. If we use YouTube views as a metric, AEW at their most talked about are doing about 100K better than NXT, but several hundreds of thousands less than any RAW segment.

Ultimately, I'm just disappointed that Cody's gone all Voodoo Kin Mafia and cutting promos on Triple H, rather than on his actual opponent for the match, when there's so many better stories to be told than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Double or nothing will be on ITV box office , with the battle royal and a preview show before it being on ITV4.