Brexit

Devon Malcolm

9 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

So, practically, how much of a difference has Brexit made for you , if any ?

As a UK citizen living in the EU with an EU national wife and two half-EU national kids, quite a bit. Don't wanna go into the whole minutia of the situation because it's just depressing to think about, but it makes some things potentially a massive pain and my life is probably going to get a lot more complicated because of it (depending on what we decide to do in the future). 

Unless you’re a racist and want immigrants to leave or stay out of the country, I’m struggling to see any benefits to Brexit so far. Everything is worse and yet the leave voters still say they were right.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, RancidPunx said:

So are people attributing the petrol shortage to Brexit or just saying “oh well”

Depends on who you ask. One leave voter told me it was all the “far left’s fault for starting rumours and causing panic”. SMH.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

So are people attributing the petrol shortage to Brexit or just saying “oh well”

Most people I hear talk about it "out and about" attribute it to a poorly planned Brexit because, to paraphrase, "we should have trained people to do the jobs like HGV driving before we told all the people doing it to go back where they came from".

That and people are needlessly panicking because they are stupid. Apart from them obviously, because they aren't panic buying they are just making sure the tanks full because everyone one else is being stupid and panicking.

Edited by Tommy!

23 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

It's possibly exacerbated by Brexit, but the problems in the industry are long-standing and have been getting worse for a long time. My mate has an HGV class 2 licence, but says there's no way he'd drive for a living again. Long hours, poor conditions (there used to be a lorry park with facilities in most towns, not any more), time away from home and so on. The fact he seriously injured himself in a traffic accident didn't help matters either, he struggled to cope with knowing even the smallest lapse of concentration meant he could easily end up killing someone and be sent to prison. Not that many young people want to become truck drivers, so you're looking at an ageing workforce where people who retire or leave to work elsewhere aren't being replaced by a younger generation. I don't think there's a simple solution to all those problems, since for starters any pay rise would almost certainly have to be funded by price rises across the board, and that's not going to be a popular move.

Hopefully it all gets fixed soon, I've almost run out of Ardennes coarse pork liver pâté.

Edited by Tamura