Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

when people talk about "influences from other countries" as a negative impact, how many of them are going out for an Indian at the weekend, having a kebab after a night on the European lager, ordering Chinese takeaway, watching American television, and so on? And what are they doing in defence of "British culture and traditions

They are treating Indians or Arabs as subservient and below a white, it's hard to deny thats part of British culture and tradition. If we are being glib.

Edited by Tommy!

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

Politico pointed out yesterday that the first case of coronavirus in the UK was confirmed the day we left the EU. Not in a "these events are connected" sense, but rather "we didn't have a single day's break between the two biggest UK news stories of recent years."

• Paid Members

I think this is the biggest issue facing meaningful democracies moving forward is the engagement of voters and how they consume politics. 

It's the wrong attitude but I totally understand why people are so fed up that they disengage completely and this results in a Donald Trump being elected. There's no respite and the quality of reporting doesn't help. We're almost at the stage where nothing is impartial thus it's impossible to know what's true or not anymore.

If anything else happens this year I fear for the version we currently have. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

So has Kent gained independence now or something? For the UK to leave the EU, Kent remains in the EU? Does anyone know what’s going on?

There'll be EU border checks on lorries at Dover rather than have them go to Calais and then find they are missing the paperwork.

Our government just realised that's going to mean massive tailbacks if drivers get to Dover without the paperwork. So the plan is that lorries will be banned from driving into Kent unless they have a special pass, which you can only get by showing you understand all the paperwork requirements.

In other words, the tailbacks are being moved to the Dartford tunnel.

I’m surprised we haven’t heard from Mark Francois on the issue, he’s normally front and centre on anything Brexit, can’t think why. I hope he’s ok as he hasn’t been in the Commons lately and has been voting by proxy. 

54 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m surprised we haven’t heard from Mark Francois on the issue, he’s normally front and centre on anything Brexit, can’t think why. I hope he’s ok as he hasn’t been in the Commons lately and has been voting by proxy. 

To be fair, the paperwork to get EU citizenship is pretty time consuming.

Edited by RedRooster

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 5:15 PM, Keith Houchen said:

There were allegations made against a tory MP recently and he hasn't been seen since. Not saying it's anything to do w him (nor am I saying which allegation, it could be any or none this is all alleged obviously and I wouldn't for a moment suggest he was involved. This is all alleged and no proof evident in the public domain yet**). 

**I think that suffices re disclaimers! 

• 2 months later...

In before neil decides this threads so old  we were still in the EU. I was watching the debate today, well it wasn’t a debate really as there wasn’t the time. 

It was funny / scary how Theresa fucking May slapped down both Johnson and Starmer in the same sentence when she said Starmer wanted a better deal, he had one last year and didn’t vote for it. He is nowhere near as bad as Johnson but Starmer is so fucking shit he might as well not be there.