Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I mainly see the media getting blamed for causing panic, but I've also seen people on benefits get the blame for "not wanting to work". As if you can just take folk off the dole and stick them behind the wheel of a fucking big lorry. I mean, you could, but it's probably not going to end well.

Fuck knows how we solve it though. I don't think it's a coincidence that the industries that are in crisis are the ones where long hours, low pay and a lot of stress are the norm. I can't see EU workers rushing to come and bail us out either, not with such a shitty, grudged offer.

• Paid Members
On 8/25/2021 at 10:18 AM, SuperBacon said:

The last guy on a proper wind up...or he is distraught. Who really knows?

MIlkshake shortage? on the same day Britain First registers as a political party? sheer coincidence.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I’ve seen a few Brexit voters posting shite about how Brexit isn’t to blame and how it’s the media. 

Lots of this! Seen a bunch of people complaining that it's the media's fault, as people obviously don't have the power of independent thought & are easily manipulated. 

Same people who claimed the tabloids didn't influence their vote because they'd done their own research.

13 hours ago, King Coconut said:

If not Brexit, then what else? There's no shortage in the EU.

There are serious shortages of HGV drivers in both Germany & Poland.

I'd say it's not entirely down to Brexit as we were short with EU workers, but if even 1% of your workforce has received their marching orders it's going to have an impact.

• Paid Members

Brexit has had an impact on the HGV driver issue but its not a massive impact. The problem has been getting worse for years if not decades.

My old man was a HGV driver from the time he was 21 until about 50. His father did it all his working life too. The reason nobody wants to do the job anymore is mainly down to the working conditions. Back in the day it was a fun job but now its awful. You are constantly under pressure to hit time deadlines. You are constantly monitored to the point where they even have cameras in the cab watching you now. You are liable for fines if there is something wrong with the trailer. Traffic is a problem now and when there was respect for HGV drivers once upon a time its the complete opposite nowadays. Lots of the truck stops and cafes have disappeared, so they are limited to staying at service stations (and i'm pretty sure they have to pay to park there overnight).

The big thing for a lot of drivers though, as weird as it sounds, is that they can't take their partners / children with them anymore. If you speak to the current HGV drivers i bet you most of them grew up going to work with their Dads, sitting in the cabs and being part of that world, which they then entered into themselves. So there is a whole generation of potential HGV drivers missed because they were not allowed to be in the cab with their Dad 

Its not going to be a quick or easy fix, some big changes need to be made and honestly just increasing wages probably won't change much at all

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Far from the sunlit uplands Brexit promised, we’re already seeing what a country that can no longer rely on such a strong foreign workforce looks like.And it’s not just haulage, it’s bus drivers too.

And it’s not just transport, either. We’re having a new house built and it’s been delayed quite a lot due to shortages of labour as much as it has materials. Almost all of the workforce of the contractor that the developer uses to do the dry-lining have “gone back home”, leaving the guy who owns the company to close his business.

It seems like it's any industry that involves long hours, low pay and stress. I know Hospitality and Care are both close to breaking point because it's nearly impossible to recruit and/or retain staff. There's been a crisis for years now, in fairness, but the lack of foreign workers has made it much much worse.  It's so bad in care that my mate, who was on the dole for five years, not only got a job in a care home but was offered a promotion three weeks in. He is great at it, like, but still imagine trusting your loved one to a Home where a SENIOR only has a few weeks experience?

For the first time in my life it's very much an employee's market. Employers are just desperate. Even Amazon are offering £1,000 bonuses to come and work for them. 

1 hour ago, Just Some Guy said:

There are serious shortages of HGV drivers in both Germany & Poland

There is no shortage in Germany. The industry has warned that shortages might not be far ahead if no action is taken soon. If Poland has a shortage, maybe it's because their drivers can work anywhere in the EU... 

38 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

There is no shortage in Germany. The industry has warned that shortages might not be far ahead if no action is taken soon. If Poland has a shortage, maybe it's because their drivers can work anywhere in the EU... 

Sorry, I misunderstood you. There are shortages of HGV drivers in those countries.

2 hours ago, waters44 said:

The big thing for a lot of drivers though, as weird as it sounds, is that they can't take their partners / children with them anymore. If you speak to the current HGV drivers i bet you most of them grew up going to work with their Dads, sitting in the cabs and being part of that world, which they then entered into themselves. So there is a whole generation of potential HGV drivers missed because they were not allowed to be in the cab with their Dad 

My Dad was a long distance lorry driver when I was young and every summer holidays I went with him across Europe.  We would go from Dover to Zeebrugge on Sunday and come back Calais to Dover on Thursday. (Not always legally I'm sure as I'd have to hide in the bunk sometimes)

We would travel to France, Belgium, Germany, Holland and a few others and it was just me, him, our bunks, a shit load of IBM equipment and listening to Steptoe & Son and Blackadder on tape.

Belgium was my favourite as we'd stay at this fantastic place that showed Eurogoals, and also Cologne. Where we parked, you'd wake up and there would be thousands of rabbits around the truck. 

Sometimes Dad would finish his deliveries early and we would hit up one of the random theme parks in Belgium or Holland.

They were without doubt the best days of my young life.

1 hour ago, Just Some Guy said:

Sorry, I misunderstood you. There are shortages of HGV drivers in those countries.

Where are you getting this information? I live in Germany and watch the news and read the papers and have heard nothing about it. In fact, when I Google the German for HGV driver shortage there is only one article in recent months that warns of possible future shortages if no action is taken. 

It was on the news last night.

Local industry body figures.

I live in the UK and prior to Friday the news and papers did not have wall to wall coverage of HGV driver shortages.

These things tend to fly under the radar until a link in the chain brakes and all hell is let loose.

Edited by Just Some Guy
Too brief

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.transportlogistic.de/en/trade-fair/industry-insights/truck-driver-shortage/&ved=2ahUKEwiS3qS266HzAhXKNuwKHSeyB9IQFnoECF4QBQ&usg=AOvVaw38eqawojiScTcm_ARCO-HU

No, German industry figures about German industry.

40,000 short in Deutschland it would appear.

It's possible / probable you are right @Keith Houchen 

To be certain, a chain of German fueling stations would need to report a shortage and it get reported on TV and in papers. Then we could see how they react.

Edited by Just Some Guy